LR Textures

Cyrem

So I've started getting the orginal textures from the game (since we can't convert them yet) so you can see what they are and make your own replacements. I'll list the packs below when they are done. You can replace the files in your JAM with these too in the relevant folder.

Download: https://ore.rockraidersunited.org/legacy/LRTextures_v9_991919.zip

Includes:
- English Font
- Power Up Icons ( Thanks JimbobJeffers )
- Power Up Effects ( Thanks Segatendo )
- Bricks ( Thanks Segatendo )
- All Tracks ( Thanks Segatendo, JimbobJeffers )

GRASPART.BMP & SANDPART.BMP Must remain as indexed colour BMP's in order to maintain transparency.

Edited by Cyrem
  • Like 11

What did you use to get the textures? Does it use the original file's name or did you have to find out their names yourself?

At first thought, I would say 3D Ripper DX, but that saves at DDS, with random file names, and with the 2001 version, it crashes after pressing any two buttons (you can only rip the main menu, the first build screen, settings, and the select race track screen), so ripping any race track textures are out of the question. This seems to have been done with a different texture ripper....

(Transparency on particles needs to be fixed yet)

Or a completely custom texture ripper. :P

Dang, these are really low-res... Time to fix that. ^_^

Woah... road and grass only 32px in size o.0. I agree with you jamesster!

Well boys, I think we know our jobs today! :P

ripping any race track textures are out of the question. This seems to have been done with a different texture ripper....

I've ripped race textures out of the N64 version with Project64 and a certain graphics plugin. It's unlikely that the N64 version has the same exact textures, plus the file names are gibberish when ripped, but they're good enough to make templates.

I'd like to know how Cyrem ripped these.

To do it I used 3D Ripper DX, convert the DDS files, flip the texure, then figure out which files they are in the game. It's a somewhat slow process since I have to run the game many times, I probably spent an hour or so on the TEST track.

I'm doing the Royal Knights Raceway atm.

• Like 1

To do it I used 3D Ripper DX, convert the DDS files, flip the texure, then figure out which files they are in the game. It's a somewhat slow process since I have to run the game many times, I probably spent an hour or so on the TEST track.

How did you get 3D Ripper DX to open the race tracks without crashing? As I said ealier,

it crashes after pressing any two buttons (you can only rip the main menu, the first build screen, settings, and the select race track screen)

And that is for the 2001 version. I can't even load the 1999 one! Please, do explain how you bypasssed the crashing?

Rice Video?

Yes.

I can't even load the 1999 one! Please, do explain how you bypasssed the crashing?

Lord merCy does what he pleases. I'd also like to know if he was able to rip any geometry out of the game.

How did you get 3D Ripper DX to open the race tracks without crashing? As I said ealier,

it crashes after pressing any two buttons (you can only rip the main menu, the first build screen, settings, and the select race track screen)

And that is for the 2001 version. I can't even load the 1999 one! Please, do explain how you bypasssed the crashing?

It just works.

:P

Lord merCy does what he pleases. I'd also like to know if he was able to rip any geometry out of the game.

Well I have a directory of .obj files here, I'll see what they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ripped race textures out of the N64 version with Project64 and a certain graphics plugin. It's unlikely that the N64 version has the same exact textures

I don't know why they would have made new textures for the N64 - isn't it just a lot of extra trouble? Anyways, they look exactly the same to me. For instance,

Kahuka, N64:

Kahuka_N64.jpg

Kahuka, PC:

Kahuka_PC.jpg

If they aren't literally identical, which is what they look like to me, I imagine that they would still be perfectly fine for our purposes.

I don't know why they would have made new textures for the N64 - isn't it just a lot of extra trouble?

The N64's texture buffer is pitifully small. IIRC it's 4kb so large textures had to be split up into multiple pieces. Developers porting games to the N64 sometimes had to go through this extra trouble. But in Lego Racers' case, textures for the cars and minifigs are probably the same. I was thinking more that environment textures might be larger for the PC version, but your two screenshots don't look much different.

• 1 month later...

Do we have the ability yet to edit the back of the ai bot textures yet. I know we can do the front but I was just wondering?

Download updated to include Royal Knights Raceway. I've also fixed the transparency problem for the particle BMP's... keep them indexed!

I think the n64's textures may be a lower resolution/compressed, either that or my eyes are lying to me as the minifig textures look better on the PC...

Yes! We can finally have proper particle effects! :D

Instead of updating the download every time, perhaps just release each track as separate downloads until all tracks have been ripped? Just an idea. ;)

Yes! We can finally have proper particle effects! :D

Instead of updating the download every time, perhaps just release each track as separate downloads until all tracks have been ripped? Just an idea. ;)

I'd prefer to keep the entire folder structure so that you only need to merge them in one hit instead of doing it for each and every folder.

EDIT: Seems I mixed up the sand particle file with the non-indexed version. Will fix soon.

Fluffy Cupcake

The textures for the skybubbles/skyboxes are in the BACKGRND.SKB files right? I can't think of anywhere else they might be as I didn't see any texture files for them.

The textures for the skybubbles/skyboxes are in the BACKGRND.SKB files right? I can't think of anywhere else they might be as I didn't see any texture files for them.

That's correct. Well, that's what the GDB viewer uses to load the skybox...

I assume they're just defining gradient colours.

Fluffy Cupcake

Alright, so I was switching BACKGRND files around (which works), though some of them don't work without having the SKYRING and some other file(s) in the folder. So I guess some files do a check to see if other files are there for it to work (or it will say missing file in game).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.