Rock Raiders problems on Windows 8

Kopekemaster

Well, after reading several posts about similar problems, I decided to join this site. I seem to have a rather un-solvable problem, though.

I have Windows 8 Release Preview, but for those of you who don't have experience with that OS, it is pretty much the same as Windows 7 in terms of troubleshooting. One thing that I have found though is that in "Run in compatibility mode for:" area, I only have options for 95, 98/Me, XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP2, Vista SP3, and Windows 7. I have tried multiple options with the -* flags (-direct3d, -best, -window, etc.). I have put the d3drm.dll file from the internet, as well as from the disk, in the System and System32 folders. I have also run D3DIAG and replaced the files it says were "missing". I have tried running it in Admin mode, but nothing has worked. I am able to start the program (most of the times) and it loads and goes to the menu screen, but everything is very...glitchy, to say the least. I get about 1 or 2 FPS. I even tried to start a level, and it loaded, but very glitchy. My computer should have no problem running it. It has 1 gig of RAM, a 2.8 GHz Celeron D processor, and a NVidia Quadro NVS 280 with 64 megs of on-board RAM. It works fine too, I have no problem running Bionicle the Game, CFS3, LEGO Indiana Jones (though it is a bit slow), much newer games than RR. Can anyone help? It would be so good to get this game from my childhood back.

I didn't know someone would try to run the game in windows 8 so soon. Well here are some questions I have heard in the past.

Did you try to run it in one of the compatibility modes?

What version of the game are you using?

Are you running in full screen or windowed mode?

Well, the Release Preview has been out for a while and Windows 8 was officially released today. Anyways, do you know how to set up an emulator for Windows XP? That's the only thing I can think of if compatibility settings won't work. It's tough but will be able to run those older games.

Tried playing around with clglen.exe?

Every tried RR on that computer in the past? (For example, having had windows 7 installed prior to 8)

Please stop suggesting this. All CLgen does is apply shortcut properties. I believe the two default options allow -fvf (fog effects) and -ftm (no lighting effects on textures). -ftm supposedly uses all available texture memory in the GPU so I fail to see how that would help.

Kopekemaster might try looking at his graphics card's settings. Disable any and all fancy effects for LRR and see if that changes anything. You might also try running LRR without the graphics card at all. My nVidia GPU lets me do that so it should for you too. Right-click LRR, select Run with graphics processor then choose Integrated Graphics.

One thing that I have found though is that in "Run in compatibility mode for:" area, I only have options for 95, 98/Me, XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP2, Vista SP3, and Windows 7.

Please read before making a reply.

Versions?

To the OP (I think I've seen you on BZP), I can't tell if you mean glitchy in graphics or gameplay, If it's the former then try what Cirevam said, if the latter...what Elite said. What exactly was glitching?

It's an interesting problem alright. Because you're using a nVIDIA, I'm going to assume you have not created a profile in the settings console. Do you have an onboard graphics card or something other than the nVIDIA you can use instead (such as Intel Grapics)? The slower option may work better for compatibility.

I'll get back to you when I develop a working profile for the game, but I'm using 7, and it might be a tech gap between 7 and 8 which is causing this issue, not the graphics settings.

Versions?

Okay first of all if you keep doing this I will start reporting you.

The first question you list applies to if he actually tried one of the modes which he didn't state if he did or not. He might not have known which to try and didn't bother with them.

The second question you so ignorantly listed applies to what release of the game he has. Is it 95/98 or XP?

Why don't you start reading into peoples questions instead of always assuming that they are asking a stupid question.

JrMasterModelBuilder

My computer should have no problem running it. It has 1 gig of RAM, a 2.8 GHz Celeron D processor, and a NVidia Quadro NVS 280 with 64 megs of on-board RAM.

1GB of RAM is the minimum required by Windows 8 32-bit. It may not be the problem, but that would be my guess.

1GB of RAM is the minimum required by Windows 8 32-bit. It may not be the problem, but that would be my guess.

I over looked this, but Jr has a point.

No, it's not that, because, as I said, I am able to play LEGO Indy, LEGO Harry Potter, and other much newer and cpu- and RAM- draining games.

One thing that I have found though is that in "Run in compatibility mode for:" area, I only have options for 95, 98/Me, XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP2, Vista SP3, and Windows 7.

Versions?

To the OP (I think I've seen you on BZP), I can't tell if you mean glitchy in graphics or gameplay, If it's the former then try what Cirevam said, if the latter...what Elite said. What exactly was glitching?

Yes, I am also on BZP. Well, I get around 1 fps, and it kinda looks like when I installed LEGO Racers without a graphics card. It kinda, well, emulated the graphics I think.

Yes, I have tried some of the Compatibility settings (I think I tried 95, 98, XP SP3, and Vista).

Every tried RR on that computer in the past? (For example, having had windows 7 installed prior to 8)

What's clglen.exe? Well, no. I got this computer recently, and didn't feel like spending 100 bucks for XP or Win7. Oh, and Win8 Release Preview is a beta version, for those of you who didn't know.

Oh dear, I hope multi-quoting like this isn't against the rules.

Edited by Cirevam
Multi-quoting is fine. You can quote up to ten people (I think) before the forum software makes you stop.

What.

That's stupid.

Well, I get around 1 fps, and it kinda looks like when I installed LEGO Racers without a graphics card. It kinda, well, emulated the graphics I think.

I don't know what that looks like... Do you have or are you able to take a screenshot of it?

What's clglen.exe?

Go to where Rock Raiders is installed and there is a program there called CLGen.exe. All it does is mess with the fog and shading settings though.

Okay first of all if you keep doing this I will start reporting you.

:D

The first question you list applies to if he actually tried one of the modes which he didn't state if he did or not. He might not have known which to try and didn't bother with them.

The second question you so ignorantly listed applies to what release of the game he has. Is it 95/98 or XP?

Why don't you start reading into peoples questions instead of always assuming that they are asking a stupid question.

Ah, I misread what he originally said. Sorry

Yeah, it's definitely ignorant of me to not think of those when you said "version." The XP release isn't a different version, it's just a re-release. Most of the ones that say "XP Compatible" had little or nothing changed, and some of them aren't even XP compatible. But again, I misunderstood. You should have made it more clear, though.

I want proof that I always assume.

JrMasterModelBuilder

No, it's not that, because, as I said, I am able to play LEGO Indy, LEGO Harry Potter, and other much newer and cpu- and RAM- draining games.

Yes, but newer games are also better optimized for newer hardware. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure would be to test it.

It is the 32-bit version of Windows 8 you are using right?

What.

That's stupid.

Umm, what's stupid?

Umm, what's stupid?

That it would require that much RAM to run an OS. I just think that it should be designed to use as little as possible so that the user doesn't have half his memory sucked up by background processes.

Umm, what's stupid?

That it would require that much RAM to run an OS. I just think that it should be designed to use as little as possible so that the user doesn't have half his memory sucked up by background processes.

Have you seen Windows 8? Like actually seen it? It is so far ahead of windows 7 that a lot of hardware for windows 7 will have problems working with it.

Umm, what's stupid?

Have you seen Windows 8? Like actually seen it? It is so far ahead of windows 7 that a lot of hardware for windows 7 will have problems working with it.

Another reason it's destined to fail.

Umm, what's stupid?

Another reason it's destined to fail.

Actually it's going to be a huge success when they get the hardware standards to the level they need to be at. That should take to long.

Actually it's going to be a huge success when they get the hardware standards to the level they need to be at. That should take to long.

Sorry but Windows 8 is the new Windows Vista for a lot of reasons. However if you wish to argue such reasons please create another topic and leave this one to helping the OP.

• Like 3

Kopekemaster,

I installed Windows 8 to see if I could replicate your issues, I get the same FPS issue and stuttering graphics.

Do this:

- Install Directx 6 (Old, but has some dll's RR uses)

- Set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.

- Enable 'Reduce colour mode' and set that to 16bit.

- Run the game from the executable (not shortcut) and select 'Windowed' mode.

Running the game in fullscreen causes the lag, in windowed it's fine.

When I launch that, a window pops up then instantly closes. Does it mean I already have DX6 installed?

Edit:

Apparently it does! I followed Cyrem's instructions and it works! Thank you all so much!

• 8 months later...

Kopekemaster,

I installed Windows 8 to see if I could replicate your issues, I get the same FPS issue and stuttering graphics.

Do this:

- Install Directx 6 (Old, but has some dll's RR uses)

- Set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.

- Enable 'Reduce colour mode' and set that to 16bit.

- Run the game from the executable (not shortcut) and select 'Windowed' mode.

Running the game in fullscreen causes the lag, in windowed it's fine.

Great! Thanks that worked. I just have one problem now. My screen is 1920x1080 and my rockraiders window is very small. Too small to play comfortably actually. As soon as my mouse touches the RR window it disappears (into the game). This means I can't use the mouse to make the window bigger. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Thanks

a21f.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.