LDR Importer

le717

New release!

V0.8 Beta 1 of the Blender 2.6 LDraw Importer script has been uploaded. This is completely a feature release, the most notable new functions being:

• Simplified code
  • Completely removed the add_utils code, as I found the functions that it was being used for, and when they were disabled, nothing was different
  • Restored and corrected code that was present in the original version and removed in V0.6. After there was a lot of requests on how to remove Doubles Vertices and recalculate the Vertex Normals, I added back the code and corrected it so it would work properly. Some bricks still have Normals issues, but this is due to the construction of LDraw bricks and not the script.
  • The script has been placed under the GPL V2. Why not V3? Why did you place it under it in the first place? Well, most of the other Blender scripts are under V2, and having it under a legal license better insures that credit is given where credit is due. ;)

But why a Beta and not a final release? A lot of features I had hoped to add in this version did not make it, mainly due to my lack of Python knowledge (although Python 3 lessons are helping me a lot). As I've added in the Planned Features section, I hope to have the ability to skip the import of bricks that can not be found instead of stopping and setting the LDraw path from within Blender in V0.8 Beta 2, and the ability to import Bricksmith LDR's in V0.8 final. Past V0.8 final, the plans are a bit fuzzier, but I've assigned a few features past that. However, if someone is able to implement any of this planned features, please do not hesitate to do so, even if we are nowhere near the planned version number. ;)

As always, link is on the Topic Post.

• 4 weeks later...

I've simplified the topic post for your reading pleasure. I'm also glad to announce that the Blender 2.6 LDraw Importer script is now available on GitHub, and has some exciting new changes coming in the next release.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

LDR Importer v1.1.5 was released today. Thanks to the MinnieTheMoocher's sharp eye, this intermediate release's change log is only artificially small. The patches that went into the changes were actually quite large. Thanks to MinnieTheMoocher, the entire library layout should be supported, including unofficial, p/48, and the new p/8 folders. In addition, support for high-res and low-res primitives are supported, again thanks to MinnieTheMoocher.

This is an intermediate release because the development team is planning on perform major refactoring on the script in v2.0, and MinnieTheMoocher's reports pushed back those plans (for the better, mind you). The plan of action is still under development.

You can get the newest release from the topic post or from the Releases page directly.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.