DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

Please don't break anything.

Also release it for iPad/Android-stuff maybe? (I don't own any fancy smartphone/tablet stuff but I heard gaming on those things is booming.)

You would really need to remove all the fancy stuff then :/

Have you seen the power of the A5 processor? It can run TWD by Telltale with damn near perfect graphical fidelity. And the iPhone 5 will have an A6 processor

You mean the power of the graphics card.

Would dwarf fortress (the equivalent of this game based off of the given details) run on an iphone, ipad, or android? Nooooope. And it has 0 graphics.

Therefore, the graphics are irrelevant in this situation; It may be able to handle the graphics load, but that means jack squat if it can't handle the processing load.

But who in their right mind would play Dwarf Fortress on such a tiny screen with no input device?

Addictgamer

Anyways I think we are straying from the point of the topic to gather possible ideas for the game if it were a cross between LRR and Minecraft.

• Like 2

It can't be much like Minecraft. None of that stupid f***ing tool decay, and I don't want the walls to be blocks like Minecraft. Let's try be a little more realistic and awesome.

It can't be much like Minecraft. None of that stupid f***ing tool decay, and I don't want the walls to be blocks like Minecraft. Let's try be a little more realistic and awesome.

I fail to see how tool damage is stupid. Breaking tools creates a damand for that tool, it makes you work to have one or work to buy one... creating economy. When tools no longer get damaged from use irl, then we can mail Mojang and tell them it's stupid.

I have no problem with the grid based maps that LRR already has. If the "revealed" walls were more rough showing rocks poking out etc... it would look even better. I think dynamically modifying the meshes based on the drilling (i'm talking if you drill a part of the wall it makes a hole the size of the drill in the wall) is maybe taking it a little too far (not saying it wouldn't be cool though).

Perhaps you should get and play MC for once Extreme, you might learn something ;) (like what makes a good game... hint: not graphics.).

Tool decay in an RTS is rather silly unless the units know to go back to the tool store to get a replacement. But what does that accomplish? Just like the Support Station, it's another reason for units to stop what they're doing and run back to the base which wastes time. With infinite free tools from the tool store, limited-use tools are pointless because instead of managing a resource (I have three hand drills left, let's try to build more vehicles instead) it becomes a time sink (stupid drill broke, now I have to go back to get another).

SHOCK! HORROR! I've played Minecraft. I do not enjoy it. You spend more time managing your tools and inventory as well as trying to construct beds or find your home than actually mining. And I find it a ridiculous requirement that you should need a certain type of pick to be able to dig some materials...I can agree with certain tools being slower at digging out some materials, but when you don't get to keep what you spent 1 hour digging because you didn't have enough materials to upgrade to the next level of pick is frustrating on so many levels.

Well, this is unexpected, to say the least.

Any kind of spiritual successor to Rock Raiders would be fantastic in my book, SO I'll be watching as this situation develops, and contribute in any way I can.

Tool decay in an RTS is rather silly unless the units know to go back to the tool store to get a replacement. But what does that accomplish? Just like the Support Station, it's another reason for units to stop what they're doing and run back to the base which wastes time. With infinite free tools from the tool store, limited-use tools are pointless because instead of managing a resource (I have three hand drills left, let's try to build more vehicles instead) it becomes a time sink (stupid drill broke, now I have to go back to get another).

I was actually talking about MC, not putting it into this remake... but anywho. The energy needs of the RR's could have been improved to be much less annoying.

SHOCK! HORROR! I've played Minecraft. I do not enjoy it. You spend more time managing your tools and inventory as well as trying to construct beds or find your home than actually mining. And I find it a ridiculous requirement that you should need a certain type of pick to be able to dig some materials...I can agree with certain tools being slower at digging out some materials, but when you don't get to keep what you spent 1 hour digging because you didn't have enough materials to upgrade to the next level of pick is frustrating on so many levels.

If you think the point of Minecraft is just to mine, you are very mistaken. Minecraft is about building your imagination... and surviving in it. It's a sandbox game, you can't win by getting the best pickaxe in the game. Thats why anyone trying to race through the game will never like it. Also you can just type "/home" to go to your house :whistle: . I hope you don't have an inventory or weapons to manage in Halo.... or even imagine an RPG with an inventory and... and... crafting!! that would be SHOCK! HORROR!

oh wait D:;P

btw: You being an FPS kiddie and all should love the bow & arrow action.... or making cannons :smug:

• Like 1

Do you need programmers? If so, I could be of assistance. I have experience in C++ using the Namespace Standard and to a lesser extent Visual C++ with DirectX. I'll have to reinstall all my development tools though since some incompetent computer technician wiped my hard drive when I had a motherboard failure.

btw: You being an FPS kiddie and all should love the bow & arrow action.... or making cannons :smug:

I do enjoy myself a TNT cannon. However, the ones I build have a tendency to misfire.

Drill Master

Hey! What about a world that you actually start drilling at the surface and dig down deeper into the planet until you reach the core which is actually an abundant source of energy crystals (or whatever the new power source would be) and actually shows that you are drilling deeper into the planet? And maybe have a Tunnel Transport-like vehicle that you can fly up or down to reach different heights of the current level?

Hey! What about a world that you actually start drilling at the surface and dig down deeper into the planet until you reach the core which is actually an abundant source of energy crystals (or whatever the new power source would be) and actually shows that you are drilling deeper into the planet? And maybe have a Tunnel Transport-like vehicle that you can fly up or down to reach different heights of the current level?

Not to the core, otherwise the maps would be too big to handle.

Explain why minecraft works then.
  • Like 1

I can agree with certain tools being slower at digging out some materials, but when you don't get to keep what you spent 1 hour digging because you didn't have enough materials to upgrade to the next level of pick is frustrating on so many levels.

This. You might as well not be able to even touch the rock type with the tool.

And like Cirevam said. Tool decay might work in first-person games like Minecraft, but in a huge RTS game it just becomes annoying. Even if there was tool decay it would just be a matter of heading to the tool store, unless you need to build everything. But then it becomes confusing. I guess it could be an option, but still.

Though, decay to buildings and vehicles would work, since those are big and expensive and can be repaired.

If you think the point of Minecraft is just to mine, you are very mistaken. Minecraft is about building your imagination... and surviving in it. It's a sandbox game, you can't win by getting the best pickaxe in the game. Thats why anyone trying to race through the game will never like it. Also you can just type "/home" to go to your house :whistle: . I hope you don't have an inventory or weapons to manage in Halo.... or even imagine an RPG with an inventory and... and... crafting!! that would be SHOCK! HORROR!

oh wait D:;P

I've played through both KotOR Games and the Dungeon Siege games. I have no problem with the crafting engine, and while inventory management could work a little better, it's fine for now.

I wasn't trying to "race through it", I was trying to enjoy myself by gathering materials required to build an adequate house. I expect that my efforts be rewarded, not be punished.

Here's a chat log with ideas some of us in Skype have thought up. It's enormous and could be hard to read, but I've snipped a few things that have nothing to do with the topic.

[7:46:22 PM] Cirevam: So hey, LRR fangame ideas.

[7:46:41 PM] Cirevam: Or whatever the official one Stewart is proposing will be called. I've been thinking of some.

[7:46:55 PM] Doc: I was thinking about that

[7:46:57 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: rockwhales that work properly without sitting there being fat frosthats

[7:47:06 PM] Doc: Lol Return to Planet U

[7:47:19 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: HURDUR LET ME WADDLE OVER AND SIT ON YOU

[7:47:39 PM] Cirevam: Not even that, more like HURDUR LET ME WADDLE AROUND AT RANDOM AND DEAL 10 DAMAGE AT A TIME

[7:48:21 PM] Doc: Also Rockwhales.

[7:50:07 PM] Zephyria: We need some epic orchestral music

[7:50:16 PM] Zephyria: Let's hire onion zur

[7:50:18 PM] Zephyria: ...

[7:50:24 PM] Zephyria: Inon zur

[7:57:21 PM] Cirevam: Anyways, for Fan Raiders, I was thinking of a mix of voxels and a block-based system like LRR already has

[7:58:35 PM] Cirevam: Each block is built out of voxels that generally conform to what the block type should be. Soil, dirt, loose rock, etc., but a bit of variation is allowed to keep things fresh. Maybe a 5-10% randomization factor if we can even do that.

[7:59:51 PM] Doc: Hmmm

[7:59:57 PM] Cirevam: For digging, perhaps a percentage of voxels must be removed from the block before the block is collapsed. This could be how we determine drill times, because dirt does not hold up as well as hard rock. Landslides would remove voxels too and could in fact be broken off of the blocks themselves.

[8:00:03 PM] Doc: maybe even a RMG?

[8:00:09 PM] Cirevam: Yeah, maybe.

[8:01:07 PM] Cirevam: A Random Map Generator would be nice too so we can add a "play a randomly generated map" function.

[8:02:20 PM] Zephyria: A diablo-esque RMG?

[8:02:44 PM] Cirevam: It would help if I knew what RMG was in this context. *searches*

[8:03:00 PM] Zephyria: Random map generator

[8:03:24 PM] Cirevam: So I did think right. Weird...

[8:03:44 PM] Zephyria: Whysit weird?

[8:04:08 PM] Cirevam: I thought Doc meant some random graphics thing because I was talking about how walls of the same type would appear slightly different.

[8:04:49 PM] Cirevam: Anyways, for vertical drilling, I was thinking specialized vehicles would have to handle that, but honestly it's going to be dependent on whatever camera system is used. Earth 2150 has an underground view along with it's surface view but that only allows two distinct levels and no more.

[8:04:54 PM] Zephyria: Oh.

[8:06:32 PM] Cirevam: Why is Skype being offered through Windows Update? Frost you, Microsoft.

[8:08:21 PM] Ciprian: ^

[8:08:53 PM] Doc: Yeah it wasn't timed well when I said it

[8:14:13 PM] Zephyria: Anybody wanna hear my idea about the RMG?

[8:15:31 PM] Zephyria: Say we have several smaller missions

[8:15:46 PM] Zephyria: All leading up to a big mission

[8:16:12 PM] Zephyria: Akin to the different layers of planet U from the original

[8:17:26 PM] Zephyria: The smaller levels could be randomized

[8:17:52 PM] Zephyria: While the big "boss" levels could be preset

[8:18:28 PM] Zephyria: What do you guys think?

[8:18:34 PM] Ciprian: Look at ORR.

[8:18:42 PM] Ciprian: I disaprove of all other random map generation.

[8:19:34 PM] Ciprian: ...and everybody suddenly knows (with all the implications) why I'm a picky gamer.

[8:25:39 PM] Cirevam: What's so great about ORR's RMG?

[8:26:05 PM] Cirevam: If you're going to boast, back it up.

[8:26:46 PM] Ciprian: I'll back it up with a release.

[8:26:54 PM] Ciprian: When the time comes <.<

[8:32:46 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: verticle drilling means verticle depth means slug holes can have depth meaning slug holes can contain X amount of slugs meaning Baz can't make pain

[8:33:19 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): lol make it so you can explore slug holes/caves

[8:33:24 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Yes

[8:33:31 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Also:[8:33 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake):

<<< slug holes

[8:33:32 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe some monsters can dig too? and that can cause tunnels and landslides?

[8:33:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: wait, actual cave-ins

[8:34:08 PM | Edited 8:34:16 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): It kind of depends how the tunnels are rendered then

[8:34:31 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: a big cave would be more likely to have cave-ins unless there are naturally-generated pillars

[8:34:59 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or you could build your own but you might not think to until it's too late

[8:35:34 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I'd like to build own. Make enviromental values that make cave-ins more or less likely

[8:35:50 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): like lots of drilling on the walls inside said cave without pillar

[8:36:14 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe as you get to harder regions the cave generation is more dangerous

[8:36:28 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Harder being rock or level?

[8:36:33 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: level dificulty

[8:36:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: like, more cave-in chances, monster dens, lava flows

[8:37:11 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Then the cave structure should follow a patern

[8:40:50 PM] Cirevam: 2x2 rule : p

[8:41:16 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: spawn in a cave surrounded by solid rock

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

[8:41:16 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): How is the structure going to look anyways? The caves in LRR are a somewhat mirrored effect. The wall you drill has a ceiling wall that gets drilled or disappears with the ground level one

[8:42:40 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Like

__

| /

|/

|\

|_\

[8:44:34 PM] Cirevam: So almost just like LRR, but without it looking so terrible in places.

[8:44:54 PM] Cirevam: Maybe with proper roof support, so we can have real surface levels.

[8:44:59 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: yeah the way everything works in LRR is awkward

[8:45:12 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I mean that's how LRR looks. I don't think it should look like that

[8:45:17 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: There should be a better rubble system

[8:45:30 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Not the silly set amount in LRR

[8:45:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I guess that ties in with better landslides

[8:45:41 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): If you make that double level cave system then what happens to the second level of earth?

[8:45:42 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: also a way to dispose of it

[8:45:52 PM] Cirevam: If we use voxels for walls and drill the voxels out of the walls to collapse them, there's your rubble.

[8:46:19 PM] Cirevam: Maybe a Rubble Reprocessor could be used along with the Ore Refinery.

[8:46:20 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Then where does the rubble go? o.o

[8:46:31 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): That's a good idea

[8:46:37 PM] Cirevam: The reprocessor turns rubble into ore, the refinery does what it does.

[8:47:39 PM] Cirevam: This either puts a larger influence on vehicles to shuttle the rubble back to your base or to have raiders use wheelbarrows.

[8:47:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but not all rock is good ore

[8:47:45 PM] Cirevam: Yeah

[8:47:49 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: some of it is just crap

[8:47:55 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Then it won't process

[8:48:01 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: there needs to be a way to dispose of it after filtering out the good stuff

[8:48:03 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): It goes in and nothing comes out

[8:48:10 PM] Cirevam: Just vaporize the waste.

[8:48:18 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): ^

[8:48:25 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: lazy

[8:48:30 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but oh we-

[8:48:35 PM] Cirevam: Fine, they teleport it into space

[8:48:35 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Or you can have a lesser building material

[8:48:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: wait but if you don't build something it will be filled with crap

[8:48:46 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: so more influence on ore refineries

[8:49:02 PM] Cirevam: Ooh, so there's a cap that each reprocessor can hold before it can't be used anymore

[8:49:19 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): No, it has to be emptied

[8:49:22 PM] Cirevam: Maybe a warehouse-type building would be needed to store all of it.

[8:49:33 PM] Cirevam: I am thinking of the extracted ore, mind you.

[8:49:51 PM | Edited 8:50:00 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I meant that if you don't build a refinery rubble will be everywhere

[8:49:53 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but yeah that works too

[8:50:20 PM] Cirevam: Ooh, if it's full and you put in more it spits a whole bunch out and litters the surrounding area?

[8:50:53 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I need a bit of understanding on the universe here. The earth that is mined, the ore in this case, is unrefined plastic

[8:51:02 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: yes

[8:51:06 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but

[8:51:12 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: this isn't lego

[8:51:15 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or it might not be

[8:51:26 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: so we're not limited to just "Ore"

[8:51:39 PM] Cirevam: And it's not necessarily plastic.

[8:51:54 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: we could have different ores and use them to build stuff

[8:51:56 PM | Edited 8:52:02 PM] Cirevam: ^

[8:52:12 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Energy Crystals should have a proper construction use as well as collection

[8:52:21 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: not just "PUT 3 HERE TO BUILD LOL"

[8:52:35 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: ores needed to build need to be thought out, not just some number for difficulty

[8:52:39 PM | Edited 8:52:51 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Well I'd think a LEGO universe would have everything plastic but the bricks could have different atributes. Think LEGO Starwars metal bricks

[8:52:55 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: that's what I've been saying all these years

[8:53:20 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): But they are still plastic in origin somehow

[8:53:54 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I understand there can be iron bricks in real life

[8:54:05 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): The "gold" bricks too

[8:55:07 PM | Edited 8:55:15 PM] Cirevam: Until DDI gets the OK for a toy-based mining game that has gameplay elements of LRR, let's not assume we'll be using plastic at all.

[8:55:09 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): They have to be light weight for building

[8:55:21 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): |:/

[8:55:31 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I'm assuming it will be more realistic since I highly doubt LEGO would like this

[8:55:39 PM] Zephyria: So a minecraft style building system?

[8:55:43 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: er

[8:55:47 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): No

[8:55:47 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: not exactly

[8:55:57 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: sorta but still close to what LRR does

[8:56:17 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: even if they did, they would want it to be Power Miners or that new city mining theme

[8:56:31 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but Power Miners is dead so I'm guessing no

[8:59:22 PM] Cirevam: Maybe they could just grab building parts that get fabricated in the Tool Store

[9:00:01 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): ^

[9:00:04 PM] Cirevam: So you need so many materials to create this building and the parts are generated from your stored resources. They move the parts to the foundation and build it that way instead of plopping and plinking raw materials.

[9:00:08 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: wait I misread what zephyria said

[9:00:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: No

[9:00:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: yeah Cirevam that sounds good

[9:01:20 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: more realistic while not complex

[9:01:35 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe for advanced structures you need to build a better fabricator?

[9:02:36 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Make better parts from it

[9:06:48 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): You would have to refine the stuff manually then until you make a T1 fabricator

[9:08:23 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: A small temporary refinery that you can teleport down

[9:08:42 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and a permanent one you build

[9:09:13 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): If the temp isn't part of the toolstore then. Don't know if that would be good

[9:09:21 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: it might be

[9:09:28 PM] Cirevam: It should be.

[9:09:36 PM] Cirevam: That way it can fabricate tools

[9:09:37 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe the entire "tool store" (or whatever the fan raiders equiv is) is temporary

[9:09:48 PM] Cirevam: Bam, infinite tools and dynamite with no further explanation.

[9:09:53 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Make it like a workstation for refining

[9:09:54 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: You get tools from Barracks or something

[9:09:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or that

[9:10:01 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I dunno

[9:10:13 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Maybe you build the better refinery next to it so that they join

[9:11:17 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Well by having different refineries you'd have to have different levels of refined stuff

[9:11:33 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: if there are real barracks where raiders can actually rest instead of just eat, you can build them next to each other and they'd join for bonus or something

[9:12:07 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Don't join automaticaly. Build them together when placed next to each other

[9:12:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: wait, so are you suggesting it's better to have a big refinery and the tool store, or just upgrade the first refinery?

[9:12:32 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or a mix of both

[9:12:57 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): I'm not sure. You first have to find out how to refine from start

[9:13:21 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: it would probably be either the tool store or some other temp building

[9:13:28 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: that depends on what the "tool store" is hre

[9:13:39 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): But bringing down a temp is kind of stupid. A waste really

[9:13:43 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: is it as useful as in LRR? Or just a temporary building

[9:13:46 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: not really

[9:14:02 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: how is it a waste? You can't build a better one yet so you use that one until you get something new

[9:14:49 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: you might as well say the small digger is a waste. It's not if you can't afford to build a chrome crusher yet

[9:14:54 PM] Cirevam: It could be useful for building things far from the main base.

[9:15:00 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): What if instead of a toolstore, you have a terminal that is a very basic, wel rounded everything? Stuff can be sent to wherever to be refined there and returned, as well as tools and miners

[9:15:02 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: that too

[9:15:12 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Yes

[9:15:28 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): A small teleport terminal

[9:15:29 PM] Cirevam: Oh, like that one MOC that... guy... that builds really good LRR things made?

[9:15:40 PM] Cirevam: It unfolds and has a little of everything

[9:16:03 PM | Edited 9:16:55 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I don't know if this is like what Tauka suggested, but I had some idea for RtPU where there was a big main base and the level bases were little outposts

[9:16:52 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): That's kind of the idea, but you can't depend on the main base efficently

[9:16:58 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): and if that terminal is destroyed then you lose because it is your lifeline. So not temp

[9:17:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: that's pretty much what I was saying

[9:17:26 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: only in RtPU, the main terminal is in the story only because it's too complex for LRR

[9:17:36 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but here it could work

[9:17:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe a huge map, and you send little bases out from the main terminal

[9:18:01 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or just build around it

[9:19:02 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): build around itThat sounds nice

[9:19:05 PM] Cirevam: Yesz

[9:19:05 PM] IceHusky: Let's make RR2 = RtPU

[9:19:21 PM] Cirevam: Rockworms that dynamically carve new tunnels

[9:19:25 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: YES

[9:19:28 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: ROCKWORMS

[9:19:30 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: YES

[9:19:31 PM] Cirevam: Monsters that DON'T FROSTING NEED BOULDERS TO FUNCTION

[9:19:46 PM] IceHusky: lol

[9:19:53 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: aliens

[9:19:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: enemy miner aliens

[9:20:06 PM] IceHusky: inb4 RR rts

[9:20:09 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: like those ones in the proto artwork

[9:20:14 PM] IceHusky: like raiderball

[9:20:22 PM] IceHusky: LOL let's make him make raiderball

[9:20:29 PM] IceHusky: StewartG

[9:20:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or get Cyrem to repost it unless anyone else has it

[9:20:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: the aliens can mine and steal and shoot you

[9:21:04 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe

[9:21:05 PM] IceHusky: Raiderball: Extreme Edition

[9:21:08 PM] IceHusky: for WiiU

[9:21:51 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: if the levels are more 3D, does that mean proper water and lava physics?

[9:22:03 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: oh and geysers

and you can drill into them and get hurt by hot water

[9:22:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and there's lava under them

[9:22:26 PM] IceHusky: and actual waterfalls

[9:22:34 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: floods

[9:22:34 PM] IceHusky: or lavafalls

[9:22:39 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: tides

[9:22:41 PM] Cirevam: Please

[9:22:46 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: eruptions

[9:22:50 PM] Cirevam: Real fluid support of any kind

[9:22:51 PM] IceHusky: o*****s

[9:23:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: there could be lava pools under the ground

[9:23:17 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and they turn into volcanoes without warning

[9:23:21 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: REAL earthquakes

[9:23:24 PM] Cirevam: And maybe also the LRRPS1 game's unblockiness

[9:23:31 PM] Cirevam: Everything isn't square in that game.

[9:23:45 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: the way you suggested landslides working makes it unblocky

[9:23:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: more wall types and biomes

[9:24:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and minerals that affect the wall type and wall types that affect the minerals and

[9:24:20 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: ELEPHANTS

[9:24:21 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): earthquakesYou'll need to make bridges maybe

[9:24:30 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: O

[9:24:37 PM] IceHusky: and several types of sammiches

[9:24:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: bridges over water and lava

[9:24:45 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: small ones for Raiders, big ones for vehicles

[9:24:58 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: layered maps?

[9:25:04 PM] Ciprian: That's how it'd work.

[9:25:09 PM | Edited 9:25:15 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: if so then helicopters that act like helicopters

[9:25:11 PM] Ciprian: Think Dwarf Fortress.

[9:25:30 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and that means there can be even better water support

[9:25:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: because you can have water actually higher up

[9:25:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: making a waterfall

[9:26:51 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and chasms to go into

[9:26:56 PM] Cirevam: Then have a lava floe rush through some tunnels towards a waterfall, and a helicopter has to save the guys that took the lower tunnel.

[9:26:57 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: that were opened by earthquakes

[9:27:10 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and there are snakes in there

[9:27:14 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and horrible things

[9:27:25 PM] Cirevam: Good thing you can find a MAGIC BALLOON

[9:27:51 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: big flying vehicles that can pick up a drill tank and lower it into the chasm

[9:27:55 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and it drives around digging

[9:28:00 PM | Edited 9:28:04 PM] IceHusky: inb4 source engine

[9:28:04 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and then a rockslide kills it

[9:28:18 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: : o maybe things get burried in rockslides

[9:28:21 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and you can dig them out

[9:28:23 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: unless they die

[9:28:30 PM] IceHusky: Oooh

[9:28:31 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: toxic fumes

[9:28:37 PM] IceHusky: like if a rock raider gets buried

[9:28:37 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: *idea from STS*

[9:28:45 PM] IceHusky: you only have a certain time to get them out

[9:28:47 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: YEs

[9:28:49 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: like that

[9:29:01 PM] IceHusky: and you could have really suspenseful music play in the background

[9:29:04 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: there's a point in StS where Axle can't dig because there's a cave full of explosive gas and he needs water to cool it off

[9:29:26 PM] Cirevam: The Sonic 2 drowning music plays

[9:29:34 PM] IceHusky: Yaah

[9:29:48 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: what about Sonic 1 drowning music

[9:29:55 PM] Cirevam: I don't remember it as well.

[9:30:01 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: ...it's the exact same tune

[9:30:05 PM] Cirevam: WELL FINE

[9:30:14 PM] Cirevam: WELLS FARGO

[9:31:00 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: what if a rockworm tunnels into a cave of explosive gas near you

[9:31:09 PM] IceHusky: BEWM

[9:31:12 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I see this game having many cheap deaths

[9:31:19 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but that's the dangers of mining

[9:31:19 PM] IceHusky: well

[9:31:24 PM] IceHusky: mining's a hard business bro

[9:31:36 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: mining's a good job mate

[9:31:41 PM] Cirevam: It would be supremely awesome if representatives from DDI and RRU could set up a phone conference to brainstorm stuff so they could talk to their legal people to make sure our ideas aren't infringing on LRR too much.

[9:31:47 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I garuntee you'll never go hunry

[9:31:51 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: *eats a sandwich*

[9:31:56 PM] Cirevam: I don't want this game to get a cheap death either

[9:32:13 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but doesn't LRR have cheap deaths anyway

[9:32:17 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: it's not really cheap

[9:32:23 PM] Cirevam: Just stupid deaths

[9:32:36 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: it's just unexpected that a cave-in would suddenly happen on top of your power plant

[9:32:42 PM] IceHusky: THE WHOLE ENTIRE CAVE JUST EFFING CAVED IN GG.

[9:32:59 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: there should be limits on how many dangerous things spawn in a level

[9:33:07 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and that limit weakens in harder levels

[9:33:09 PM] IceHusky: over 9000

[9:33:17 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: never more than one rockworm I hope

[9:33:27 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: a pod of whales D:

[9:33:30 PM] IceHusky: and on hardcore mode, there is no limit

[9:33:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: D:

[9:33:51 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: what if you spawn in a herd of enemies

[9:33:54 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: OOH

[9:33:56 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: monster dens

[9:34:00 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: like the slug holes

[9:34:15 PM] IceHusky: and also make the rock raiders move more smoothly instead of moving on a cube by cube path

[9:34:23 PM] IceHusky: cause RTS

[9:34:26 PM] Ciprian: >: O

[9:34:32 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: BETTER PATHFINDING

[9:34:33 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: PLEASE

[9:34:37 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): ^^^^^

[9:34:39 PM] Cirevam: OH WAD YES

[9:34:42 PM] Cirevam: BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE

[9:34:42 PM] IceHusky: YEASSSSS

[9:34:54 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I'M TIRED OF RAIDERS CUTTING ACROSS LAVA

[9:34:54 PM] Cirevam: Brb, trying to win the lunacy award

[9:35:03 PM] IceHusky:

[9:35:05 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: AND GETTING THE ORE FURTHEST AWAY

[9:35:15 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: AND MONSTERS NEEDING BOULDERS AND DOING STUPID THINGS

[9:35:23 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: AND SLUGS SPAZZING OUT

[9:35:45 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): GETTING THE ORE FURTHEST AWAYI kind of prefer that

[9:36:09 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): As long as it's not for building

[9:36:16 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: But it's always for a building

[9:36:20 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: murphy demands it

[9:36:26 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: Then it should be a priority

[9:36:40 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Then make it so they get ore/stuff from the pile for building, not from crap laying around

[9:36:40 PM] IceHusky:

This is what DDI is going to end up doing to us

[9:36:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: you should be able to set the priorities different for different raiders

[9:37:03 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Jobs then

[9:37:06 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: yeah

[9:37:12 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: instead of priorities being universal

[9:37:23 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: assign one guy to never leave the base

[9:37:32 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: he makes sure nothing breaks down

[9:38:23 PM] Cirevam:

[9:38:24 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: assign this other guy to take all the ore he gets to make parts for the new bridge over the ravine that some guys are mining in

[9:38:35 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: then go down into th-

[9:38:38 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: WHAT THE F

[9:38:46 PM] Cirevam: Yes, being able to assign raiders to only do certain tasks would be fantastic.

[9:39:33 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but yeah, and be able to tell them to only go to certain areas

[9:39:49 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: or to avoid certain areas (the geysers)

[9:43:51 PM] IceHusky: okay

[9:43:51 PM] IceHusky: so

[9:43:56 PM] IceHusky: this is what'll happen

[9:44:16 PM] IceHusky: DDI will end up making this a minecraft clone.

[9:44:19 PM] IceHusky: the end

[9:44:32 PM] Cirevam: :<

[9:44:41 PM] Ronald Thomas Mullins III (Tauka Usanake): Is DDI doing anything right now?

[9:44:50 PM] Cirevam: Then we finish our overhauls and kick Fan Raiders in the pants.

[9:45:07 PM] Ciprian: I want to plug ORR, but I have nothing to sell.

[9:46:18 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: a minecraft cloneno

[9:46:22 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: they'll make a LRR clone

[9:46:28 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: how is this like minecraft?

[9:47:11 PM] IceHusky: don't you remember his first post

[9:47:45 PM] IceHusky: "We are considering combining a mine craft style world, so you can build and dig in more ways"

[9:47:54 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: mine craft stylestyle

[9:47:56 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: not clone

[9:48:24 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: the ideas are sort of like LRR but with a lot more detail and depth

[9:48:42 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I guess kind of like minecraft but walls still go on a grid-like scale or something

[9:48:49 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I would like for depth and layers though

[9:49:08 PM] IceHusky: sounds like over at DDI they've been really busy being addicted to Notch's game

[9:49:10 PM] Cirevam: I would like a DDI representative to post more than once every few months.

[9:49:18 PM] IceHusky: ^that too

[9:51:08 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I would like my internet to connect to something other than skype

[9:52:59 PM] IceHusky: ...

[9:53:03 PM] IceHusky: inb4 ISP

[9:53:07 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: ?

[9:53:27 PM] IceHusky: your ISP could just have some kinda thing for skype especially

[9:53:34 PM] IceHusky: so you have better connection to skype

[9:53:46 PM] IceHusky: some stupid ISPs do that

[9:53:55 PM] IceHusky: like mine

[9:56:37 PM] Ciprian: I think he means minecraft like as in "3D World"

[9:56:52 PM] Ciprian: As that's what he went further to state

[9:57:03 PM] Ciprian: So it would simply be for lack of easier explanation

[9:57:22 PM] Ciprian: Everybody knows "Oh, minecraft world. I can move up and down too, not just forward, backward, left and right."

[9:57:45 PM] Ciprian: But then again, it might be more minecraft-like than that, taking on the other aspects of minecraft.

[9:57:54 PM] Ciprian: He didn't explicitly say anything on that

[9:58:41 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: I can move up and down too, not just forward, backward, left and rightthis is what I want in Fan Raiders

[9:58:48 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: not like minecraft in the way blocks work and such

[9:59:09 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: but just so that I can move up and down and dig pits and fly up vents and have real waterfalls and slimy slug dens and stuff

[9:59:24 PM] Ciprian: that is all steward said

[9:59:31 PM] Ciprian: he didn't say anything further

[9:59:40 PM | Edited 9:59:50 PM] Ciprian: so we can only assume it's either going to be like that, or a minecraft RTS clone with rock raiders.

[10:05:28 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: maybe morshu will give you crystals

[10:05:42 PM] Ciprian: he's done that ten times to date.

[10:10:33 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: We need a place to dump any ideas we have

[10:10:35 PM] Lair of Rockwhales: and refine them

[10:11:00 PM] Ciprian: For now, Roh is Rohing his boat with a chat log of ideas.

Explain why minecraft works then.

Minecraft is a sanbox game, LRR isn't, I wouldnt like the new LRR game to be a sandbox game since your HQ would be hard to manage then.

Drill Master

If any of you have played Halo Wars, I'd like the setup of the new game to be like HW, how you control people and special upgrades and buildings with a main base in the center,and of course with FP play, which HW does not have.

If any of you have played Halo Wars, I'd like the setup of the new game to be like HW, how you control people and special upgrades and buildings with a main base in the center,and of course with FP play, which HW does not have.

Manual control? Eh... not keen on that. Ever had a RR that wouldn't respond to priorities and you manually have to tell him what to to do? yeah... well, times that by 50 and you have a nightmare. Prorities are good, they just need to work logically. It also makes the game look more lively because they are all off drilling, picking up, saying hi to Bill or doing something we told them not to.

Center start isn't that great either because you might want to have a "one end to the other" style level. We also want to define our starting location in the maps.

Also, FP Mode + Laser in hand + Monster = Joy

• 2 weeks later...

I would be more than happy to help with this. I've been searching for someone out to make a Rock Raiders remake. I loved the original. I'm an interactive and motion designer finishing my senior year of college right now. I can help with trailers, icons, art, models, etc. I also have some killer friends in the sound design department who are, to put it simply, amazing at what they do. I'm eager to help with this because i want to see it succeed!

You can also view a small sample of my work here: www.anthonypalcic.com

I also run a Minecraft server that is set to launch between this month and next month so I am pretty good at managing project deadlines and such.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update to say, the project has not been canned. They are in "preparation" and having many meetings with other businesses. There is also good news, a couple of the old staff are interested in coming on-board the project (including Karl I believe).

In-all he just wanted to say that it takes time to prepare for large projects such as these.

• Like 2

Stewart ask me to post a response to my email to get more feedback to send back: (I've underlined important stuff)

Me: "An issue we faced with modding LRR was (as previously mentioned) that it's not particularly affordable to the average Joe, which therefore meant that next to no-one is creating new models for any of their mods. Then the programs that can do the conversion between the formats, still cost around $50 or more (such a Milkshape 3D)."

Stewart: "This is a huge help in our production run, however we could perhaps create a conversion program, from another less expensive modeler, which 3d modeler packages should we go for?"

Me: "I'll give an example: You start the game for the first time, the game retrieves the resolution of the monitor and sets the game's resolution to match. This resolution is then written to file, which is then read by the game every time it starts. This means that, if 2 years later and larger resolutions come along the settings file can be changed to also support that resolution without the game needing an update."

Stewart: "Our latest code, checks for system for the available screen resolutions and then works at the highest resolution"

Me: "I have managed to get LRR to run at 1024x768 by changing stuff in the CFG, but the darn right menu can't be moved so it sits in the middle of the screen"

Stewart: "we are now set up for more varied resolutions, so the HUD menus are all definable, in new code you will be able to position them anywhere."

Me: *paragraph on types of multiplayer such as Direct connection, Central servers and player servers*

Stewart: "This area we have not developed, we have functionality from DIrectX but we will have to do some specific programming or license a library to do all of this"

Me: "As for multiplayer modes. Here's some ideas to just throw out there: - Drill together to achieve one goal - Some sort of player vs. player mode (who can achieve the goal first) - Rogue player(s) mode, a player controls the monsters or natural elements in an effort to destroy the other players progress? - Race mode, who can drill their way to a point first? - Sandbox mode, drill, build and chat to your heart's content - Base defence, protect your base(s) from waves of monsters."

Stewart: "Sure no problem with these, more ideas welcome"

Me: "Monster Suggestions - Rock Monster is a must :) - Small fast monster that hides in the dark and attacks things that walk into unlit tunnels. - A monster that emerges from lava pools (this is a good reason to stop lava erosion)."

Stewart: "I like lava monsters. Lego would not let us make the monsters to scary or do much damage, now we are freed up should we go for meaner monsters?" (I understand this to be that LEGO may have not wanted to to be too hard).

Stewart would also like more feedback based on experience with LRR (modding and play) and more monster ideas.

If you post stuff I can bundle it all to send back to him.

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.