DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)

StewartG

If anything too, just keep trying to contact Lego about maybe at least bringing the older games to modern os's.

Maybe more people contacting them will do something? Or at least address it.
Like tell us if the assets are even around or if they were lost.

People have talked to them about it, in short they don't see it as worth their time/part of their digital games strategy. Especially as the rights to who owns what is a bit messy, too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shadow322 said:

I would love it if they put them all up on Steam though, even for 5 dollars each.

they'd need to rebuild a lot of stuff for a lot of them with how incompatible a lot of them are with newer OS

2 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

they'd need to rebuild a lot of stuff for a lot of them with how incompatible a lot of them are with newer OS

Or somehow emulate in another program (like virtualbox) if thats even possible, might save them trouble

that emulation stuff really only works for DOSbox, and that's lightweight enough to package with the games too. I dunno if there's any game emulators for Win98-era stuff, afaik you have to emulate the whole OS most of the time, and even then some of the issues come from newer graphics cards not working well with these games. I'm sure it's possible and there's some project out there to make a Win98 "dosbox" but i've not heard about it so it's probably unstable if it even exists.

sheepandshepherd

There's Wine, but it doesn't always work for such ancient games and their ancient DirectX (or even older) renderers. I got too many graphics glitches in LRR last time I ran it in Wine.

Remaking them from scratch is probably easier than trying to fix the old engines (for which the source code probably doesn't even exist anymore). The same effort could just be put into making new games, so I'm not surprised it hasn't happened. Engine remakes by the community are a more likely way to keep these games alive on new PCs... they just tend to die when it's only one person making them.

1. I am sorry I bumped the thread, I misunderstood the general opinion about this thread and am sorry for that since I seemed to have pulled a few nerves.

2. If they can run something like the KingsQuest and SpaceQuest games on Steam I'm sure they can get the classic LEGO games to run.

55 minutes ago, Shadow322 said:

If they can run something like the KingsQuest and SpaceQuest games on Steam I'm sure they can get the classic LEGO games to run.

emulating DOS games =/= emulating Windows 98 games and late 90's graphics cards

• 2 weeks later...

while i still stand by the general meaning of at least some of what i said in here, i regret the way i acted and said things throughout this thread tbh

• 1 month later...
fragilechaos
On 2/4/2017 at 10:14 AM, Ringtail said:

while i still stand by the general meaning of at least some of what i said in here, i regret the way i acted and said things throughout this thread tbh

Ach, what's been said has been said, i'd not worry about it.

I'm guessing Stewart is probably working on other things seeing there's not being an update for a fair while. Fingers crossed something pops up soon though. Always felt this game has a feel of Command & Conquer meets Lego minus the aspect of war etc. 

The general jist from this all for me is that we might have put a bit of pressure on Stewart when he responded after not updating for a while and things sort of just exploded. 

@StewartG Hope to hear from you again in the future. I dont really have any background in the games industry as i'm a photographer/film-maker, i can't imagine i'm much help, but i wish you all the best with whatever you're working on and hopefully we'll hear of some progress on the game once there's a bit of substance to present.

I suspect that if Stewarts busy and there's not been much progress made on the game, there's probably not much point keeping us updated if it's generally moving slowly. It'll be better for us all and Stewart to just wait it out until he declares it dead or hands it on to someone else. 

It might put things to rest though if Stewart was to come forward and mention if he can no longer work on the title as it'll stop everyone asking for updates. 

• Cyrem changed the title to DDI looking for help for Rock Raiders 2 (Rock Raiders inspired title)
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.