LEGO Media Alternate Installers

le717

Just a quick announcement: I've released an update to both my Racers and LOCO tools, mainly porting some new changes from my LEGOLAND installer, but also performing various cleanup and small fixes. Noteworthy changes include

• Inclusion of the 2001 PDF manual for both games, compiled into the installer so they are always present
  • Removal of a duplicate [Registry] section in LEGO LOCO that created a Racers related string. :oops: It will be removed if/when you uninstall the game, but this prevents that from happening completely. Sorry if this broke anyone Racers install.

I will be either updating my Island installer with these same changes next or do more work on the Stunt Rally installer. Both will be pretty easy; I just have to do a bit of research for SR (thanks Car CrazeXVI for documenting most of the registry strings!).

Also, if anyone has an original release of LOCO and this installer works for it (or not), please let me know. I try to support both releases, but I only have a 2001 rerelease, and there are internal differences (if you don't know what version you have, follow this tutorial. If it will not run that way, it's an 2001.)

EDIT: I also added LMS to the list of available alternate installers. Although I did initially create this to contain my installers, I have no issues putting the installers of others on here and making it a central hub for LEGO video game alternate installers . :)

Edited by le717

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, any chance there is a Lego island 2 alternate installer? I'm planning on putting it on a new computer. I remember the extremely long waiting times and heard its because of files being in put wrong places. So is there an installer that will do it correctly? Thanks! 

Never mind, I just realized my disk is scratched up beyond the laws of space and time,ugh,  why was I so stupid @ 4 years old all the time.

Hey, any chance there is a Lego island 2 alternate installer? I'm planning on putting it on a new computer. I remember the extremely long waiting times and heard its because of files being in put wrong places. So is there an installer that will do it correctly? Thanks! 

Never mind, I just realized my disk is scratched up beyond the laws of space and time,ugh,  why was I so stupid @ 4 years old all the time.

1.  No, because it works on modern computers and my main goal is to rewrite the ones that give people a hard time
  2. I have heard that too, but it has never been confirmed. If it is true, then nobody has figured out where everything goes yet.
  3. The files are also contained in BOD/BOB archives. If #2 were true and somebody knew where everything went, then I would get to use legomoe's BOD/BOB tools to extract them all and write a script to arrange everything, and while that would not be impossible, that would take a while to write.

Thanks for the question anyway!

JrMasterModelBuilder

1.  No, because it works on modern computers and my main goal is to rewrite the ones that give people a hard time
  2. I have heard that too, but it has never been confirmed. If it is true, then nobody has figured out where everything goes yet.
  3. The files are also contained in BOD/BOB archives. If #2 were true and somebody knew where everything went, then I would get to use legomoe's BOD/BOB tools to extract them all and write a script to arrange everything, and while that would not be impossible, that would take a while to write.

Thanks for the question anyway!

Does the game run with files unarchived? If so it would be easy enough to find out what is wrong.

Does the game run with files unarchived? If so it would be easy enough to find out what is wrong.

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/3887-li2-bodbob-tools/?p=76170

This is correct. If you leave LI2 running while you change some textures, when you go back to the game you'll see those new textures.

You're right. That's very interesting. I would have thought that the game would per-cache all textures when it loads a level, but I guess not

I've also figured out that the game will try and use as much content as it can from the extracted folders first, but if it can't find something, it looks in the archives. So you could conceivably just put your modified files in the folders, and leave the rest in the archives.

This should make distributing mods a cinch, since a mod author would only have to distribute the files they modify, and the end user could just extract them to their game directory.

Have fun, Sherlock. ;P

• 7 months later...
Cameron_Arthur

O.k, I downloaded the one for LEGO LEGOLAND, It installed the game, it loads up, I click on play legoland in the main menu for the game, he it talks about the tutorial, but when I go to go into the actual game it stops working. Whats going on!! 

O.k, I downloaded the one for LEGO LEGOLAND, It installed the game, it loads up, I click on play legoland in the main menu for the game, he it talks about the tutorial, but when I go to go into the actual game it stops working. Whats going on!! 

First off, welcome to RRU!

None of the alternate installers listed actually help the game run (any better). They all do exactly as the name implies: install it. Just the normal installers do not usually help the game run, neither do these. ;)

That being said, we can help you get your game running. I do not know what kind of computer you have, but on my Windows 8.1 laptop, LEGOLAND runs just fine by enabling Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and running it as Administrator. If that doesn't work for you, you will need to make a thread in the LEGOLAND Support section with more details so we can help you further. :)

• 1 year later...

I tried the LRR Alternate Installer from "The Doctor" but i only get the message in the log "No installation candidates found." Even if the CD is in the Drive.

I tried the LRR Alternate Installer from "The Doctor" but i only get the message in the log "No installation candidates found." Even if the CD is in the Drive.

Doc's installer can be finicky at times. I just (finally) finished my Rock Raiders installer, so if you want to try that (it is in the OP), let me know how it goes. If it also fails, get with me in a PM and we'll work on getting the installer to work for you. :)

• 6 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Jsyk, not all IXS versions (specifically the newer releases) are not no-cd compatible. That doesn't always stop a version check in the program to be existing though.

Fluffy Cupcake

Huh, so they had no protection, added it in, and then removed it again? That makes little sense. :S

46 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

Hey, is there a way to 'request' installers?

• LEGO Chess refuses to install for unknown reason.
  • LEGO Alpha Team cancels the installation, reasoning that the DirectX version [7] is not compatible with the Windows version I am running, and there is no possibility to go around the DirectX 7 install attempt.
  • Island Xtreme Stunts and Soccer/Football Mania could receive no-cd installs by automaticly copying CD and CDC off the disc and binding it into the shortcut.

You can request, but my installer creation abilities are limited by lack of time, not having my laptop, and simply not owning the game. :(

• Chess: I don't own this game but I want to ASAP. Chess has a pure 16-bit installer and per x64 Windows, won't work. I have the only remaining x86 WIndows computer left in the house in my closet for the express purpose of eventually getting a copy of Chess and making an installer.
  • AT: Has not been a priority mainly because there's never been any issues with it installing. That may have changed now.
  • IXS & S/FM: Games like these (also LI2) are not at all a priority because they install most all the time due to them being released after XP debuted and having native x86 installers. My focus with my stuff is to get the classic ones up and running because they are the ones with the most issues.

2 hours ago, le717 said:

You can request, but my installer creation abilities are limited by lack of time, not having my laptop, and simply not owning the game. :(

• Chess: I don't own this game but I want to ASAP. Chess has a pure 16-bit installer and per x64 Windows, won't work. I have the only remaining x86 WIndows computer left in the house in my closet for the express purpose of eventually getting a copy of Chess and making an installer.

I have access to a studded case version of LEGO Chess.

I also have access to a studded case version of LEGO Creator and I own a RE:FLEX version that mentions XP compatibility.

Interested in a bin+cue/iso of any? For science, of course...:P

origamihero
1 hour ago, lordtobi909 said:

Well, I have every classic LEGO game in physical (German) releases, I could poke ISOs at you like there was no tomorrow.

Also: If I try to install LRR using your installer, @le717, I end up with French texts and German speech.

Do you own that bionicle game that jrmasterbuilder wanted?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello.

I'm sorry if I do anything wrong by writing here, but...

Whenever I finish installing LEGO Stunt Rally, it says that I'm either missing, or got an invalid DSetup.DLL

What can I do? I tried normal installation from the CD, and it gives off a different error:

"Runtime Error!

*Program path to _msr.exe*

Abnormal Program Termination"

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I just wanted to play it on my laptop, so I don't have to sit on the same seat all the time.

I got windows 10, but I can get different OS with VirtualBox. Though, wont always work on VBox. Tried with LEGOLAND, and it couldn't run on VBox, nor on my host.

Thanks for the alternative installers though. They're really helpful. Got LEGOLAND up and working, because of you. Thx. ^^

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

I don't know why, but when I install Lego Racers 2 using an alternate installer, it freezes then crashes just as the installation is about to start. Where as the original installer works fine with compatibility issues, but the game crashes every time I try to save my game. How is this possible and why is it continuously happening to me?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.