Axel's Mod 1.5 (Updated, 4/10/2015)

Axel

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana
On 2/6/2013 at 0:25 AM, Cyrem said:

I'm not sure if that LEGO.CFG is needed for the v1.5 of the mod, but unfortunately the link to it is dead anyway.

I didn't even bother with the cfg file and the whole mod works like a charm for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Well, I decided to try modding Split Down the Middle, mainly because I wanted to see some Pyrite Monsters.  In the process I ended up modifying all of the levels with the Pyrite terrain type, and from there I started editing all of the emerge files.  First thing I noticed was actually on Fire 'n Water:  Pyrite monsters can walk on lava, are killed quickly by the freezer beam, and are resistant to the laser beam.  Basically, by using the lava monster as a template, the Pyrite monster has the same attributes as a lava monster.  I have no idea if this is even fixable.

?do=download

My main point is that I believe Split Down the Middle would be more challenging if it had monsters.  So, I added working emerges and managed to add in sleeping pyrite monsters.  Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to rotate buildings using the map editor (yes, I'm that inexperienced).  I tried  moving the buildings around in the cavern containing the base, only to have this bizarre thing happen to the ground under the power station: 

?do=download

It gets better.  Move the power station across the cavern and all the other buildings end up in sinkholes instead. 

?do=download

My main question is why did the ground do that even though I only messed with the object list? I'm confuzzled :S 

Edit: If you would like copies of the object lists in question, please let me know.

I'd like to see if anyone likes the changes I made to the emerges in general, so I'll upload some of my stuff at a later date (in a separate thread)

The problem I outlined at the beginning of my post is something I hope @Axel can find a way around, especially if we have more lava pyrite levels in the future :) 

Additional observation:  Icy rock biome spawns rock monsters once emerges are added to Ice Spy, for example.  Maybe a rock/ice monster combo is an idea? 

I'm pretty sure I added Pyrite Monsters to Split Down The Middle, but perhaps that was after the last release?  Sometimes it's a balance between adding difficulty and not adding frustration due to poor AI and the like (Rock Raiders like to slowly kill themselves on Lava and the like, and don't know how to think when separated from the main group).

If I remember correctly, I set up Ice Spy to spawn Rock Monsters but to still have Ice Monsters sitting around.

The Pyrite monsters use some of the basic Lava monster stuff because they're supposed to look like Lava monsters.  They don't have all the same attributes, though.  They cannot cross lava (not sure why yours can?).  They take only 1 damage from Freezer and Laser beams, and take 25 damage from the Pusher beam, making it ideal.

As far as your map editing issue, I have no idea why it should do that, and have never encountered such a problem.  You can rotate buildings by hitting Q and E, I think.  Whichever buttons they were were very simple to find, though.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana
16 hours ago, Axel said:

I'm pretty sure I added Pyrite Monsters to Split Down The Middle, but perhaps that was after the last release?  

Yes, this must be the case.  v1.5 of your mod is the one I'm using.  The emerge file was empty when I opened it with the map editor.

16 hours ago, Axel said:

If I remember correctly, I set up Ice Spy to spawn Rock Monsters but to still have Ice Monsters sitting around.

Well, the emerge file was broken.  In the map editor, the emerge squares were on solid rock walls and corner walls (none of it made sense).  

To my eye, it looked garbled.  

17 hours ago, Axel said:

The Pyrite monsters use some of the basic Lava monster stuff because they're supposed to look like Lava monsters. 

Of course.  This makes them way cooler :D

17 hours ago, Axel said:

They don't have all the same attributes, though.  They cannot cross lava (not sure why yours can?).  They take only 1 damage from Freezer and Laser beams, and take 25 damage from the Pusher beam, making it ideal.

Hmm.  I wonder if this wasn't implemented in v1.5 of this mod?  Either that or something must not be working correctly.  

17 hours ago, Axel said:

As far as your map editing issue, I have no idea why it should do that, and have never encountered such a problem.  You can rotate buildings by hitting Q and E, I think.  Whichever buttons they were were very simple to find, though.

One thing I should note is that this weird issue only shows up on Split Down the Middle.  I haven't seen it anywhere else *yet*.  

About the rotation of objects: Nah, I figured it out on my own.  It's the scroll button on the mouse (or scroll strip since I'm on a laptop).  Should have read the map editor topic in full before asking about that.

My bad.  

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

That's basically the issue here.  Most of the emerge files look garbled (which is the case with Baz's mod).  I think at this point a complete overhaul of the emerge files is needed.  

In the meantime there's a weird bug that I noticed with the lasers:

?do=download

It shoots through and doesn't hit the wall.  This issue was present but not very noticeable on Baz's mod, but it got exponetially worse on yours for some bizarre reason.  Hitting a wall with a laser is like flipping a coin.  Furthermore, Hard rock seems to be impossible to hit unless you drive right next to it, and even then it's not a guarantee it will even hit.  Erode Works, Lake of Fire, and Hot Stuff are incredibly hard because of this.  

I haven't messed with this mod.much yet but I remember that the draw distance in first person mode is turned up to something ridiculous, which cause the game to crash when looking down long tunnels. I guess that's why you talked about disabling first person mode completely, but uh, wouldn't it be easier to fix the draw distance back to default?

Also yeah tbh Baz's Mod is a mess. Not blaming him, we just didn't have as many nice modding tools back in 2009. Emerge files were especially a pain in the ass and we didn't fully figure them out for some years after that, so a lot of his was probably guesswork.

I think lasers not hitting was discussed once before here, not sure if anything came of it though.

• Like 1

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana
On 2/22/2017 at 4:14 PM, Ringtail said:

I haven't messed with this mod.much yet but I remember that the draw distance in first person mode is turned up to something ridiculous, which cause the game to crash when looking down long tunnels. I guess that's why you talked about disabling first person mode completely, but uh, wouldn't it be easier to fix the draw distance back to default?

It would be a lot easier I think.  Makes more sense to me than disabling it (first-person). 

On 2/22/2017 at 4:14 PM, Ringtail said:

I think lasers not hitting was discussed once before here, not sure if anything came of it though.

Thanks for showing me this @Ringtail.  I'm a bit curious as to know why this suddenly became a problem is Axel's mod whereas like I previously said it didn't really affect gameplay in Baz's mod.  I guess it's just something else to add to the list of things to fix.  

• 11 months later...
Slimyslugggee

Hi hi, seems like the download link is dead. If anyone can re-upload the mod files somewhere I'd appreciate it. This game is kind of my childhood so its quite a pleasant surprise to find a modding scene existed so many years later. I'd honestly be enthusiastic about helping out when I can, though I'm awfully busy these days.

1 hour ago, Slimyslugggee said:

I'd honestly be enthusiastic about helping out when I can, though I'm awfully busy these days.

Axel unfortunately seems to come online about once a year, so I don't see this getting finished any time soon

• 4 months later...
paperpanzer

Ah, that's a shame- I've been enjoying this mod quite a bit lately. Though it hasn't been entirely smooth for me either.

I've been getting the laser bugs, and had at least one crash so far (made it to Frozen Frenzy at the time of posting.)

I will say some of the new sounds are more of an acquired taste- the only one I really detest is the Geological Center's sound- "ear piercing" is the best way I can describe it.

I would go and modify the sound files for myself- but I don't have a tool that can open LRR WAD files... all the search results for a WAD archive opening tool send me to Doom I and II WAD decompiler tools.

Audacity is a powerful sound editor and I've made good use out of it over the years- good sounds make for a good experiance.

55 minutes ago, paperpanzer said:

I don't have a tool that can open LRR WAD files... all the search results for a WAD archive opening tool send me to Doom I and II WAD decompiler tools.

Don't settle for imitations. Throw away that tired old Google search engine and start using RRU's search. 80% more accurate results delivered to your Tool Store, today!

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/forum/14-modding-tools/

• Like 1

paperpanzer

Thanks a bunch! Spent about 30 minutes finding and editing/replacing a few sounds and now it's pretty much bang-on for my taste.

I can't fix the main bugs, but hey, I'm able to play LRR on a Windows 10 in 2018... i'll take it!

paperpanzer

Where can I find that file that configures the laser ranges? I didn't see anything the LRR WAD 0, 1, or 2. 

To that effect I'd also like to adjust the rockfall damage values- even with fully upgraded rock raiders (that are supposed to resist rockfalls better), it takes them out instantly. Really irritating if I have to fly across water or lava to open the next part of a cavern (which has to be done in many of the edited missions.)

Another thing I'd like to change is the fact that if any rock raider is teleported out (not manually) they aren't available until the next mission or you restart. There's difficulty curves- I understand that- but it's also a fine line between difficult and aggravating.

The rest of the bugs/ crashes are probably engine-based and would take a lot of effort to fix (maybe- I'm no software engineer). As far as I can tell Axle did quite a bit of cleaning of Baz's mod to make it more stable.

in addition-

- I almost forgot, is it possible to make the small transport trucks carry building studs? Even as a kid I was amazed that they don't (even though the will carry electric fences- because logic). One of the small bugs i noticed in the mod that never happened in vanilla was any rock raider that was carrying an object and told to drive a STT had that object appear in the cargo bay and couldn't be unloaded- although the STT would operate normally regardless. Needless to say the bug was noticeable when the raider in question was carrying a building stud. It's a resource, so I'd guess it was technically possible to mod/edit.

The weapon values are in Lego.cfg under the WeaponTypes { section. The variables are generally obvious. Here's an excerpt I pulled from my mod:

BigLazer { ; standard defense laser
			SlowDeath		1.0:3.0
			DefaultDamage		50.0
			RechargeTime		70.0
			WeaponRange		300.0
			WallDestroyTime_Hard	0.0 ; can't drill
			WallDestroyTime_Medium	0.0
			WallDestroyTime_Loose	0.0
; TRY THIS SOMETIME			WallDestroyTime_Seam	0.0
			DischargeRate		0.0 ; you got lucky this time

;			Pilot			1.0:0.6:0.3:0.2

}

Rockfalls are also a weapon, but their values are resistances instead of straight damage like lazers have. You have to define a percentage value (where 1.0 is 100% and 0.5 is 50%) for each level that a unit has. Here is another example. In this case, the Pilot gets more resistant to rockfalls as he upgrades. I don't know if this actually works or not, but the stock game has similar values set up.

RockFallIn {
			Pilot			0.8:0.7:0.6:0.5
                        Driver                  0.9:0.8:0.7:0.6
                        Engineer                0.6:0.4:0.25:0.1
                        Geologist               0.8:0.7:0.6:0.5
                        Sailor                  0.7:0.6:0.5:0.4
			Barracks		0.5:0.5:0.5
			GEO-Dome		0.5:0.5:0.5
			Powerstation	0.5:0.5
			OreRefinery		0.5:0.5:0.5:0.5
			TeleportPad		0.5:0.5:0.5

paperpanzer

Thanks @Cirevam- it was quite revealing- the rockfall dmg values are all at 8.0. Wheesh

In the meantime Molten Meltdown has been the first "problem" mission for me in terms of crashes. Back in the "ye olde days" of vanilla LRR the "problem level" was Frozen Frenzy- crashed so often that it was quite the relief to get past it w/out a CTD. Up till this point in the missions there's only been one random CTD- on A Breath of Fresh Air. But Molten Meltdown has kicked me out every time so far about 15 minutes in at random spots.

*Edit*- and if it's the updated CFG file that Axel has linked to that fixes most of these random crashes- well those links are all dead.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

I suspect that the cfg Axel linked to would solve a lot of the crash issues with the current version of the mod.  That file above all else is extremely finicky.  Except this mod's cfg seems more so than usual.  

@Cirevam Yes the damage values can be changed on an upgrade level basis and it does in fact work.  After further testing this last night, I have successfully determined that the RockFallIn values are multiplied by between 51.7 and 51.99.  Hence why setting a cfg value under RockFallIn to 1.0 results in 52 damage.  In-game however, it displays -51 once the landslide ceases.  The explanation I have for this is that the damage number sprite is not being rounded up while the actual damage taken by an object is rounded.

Either way whatever number you put gets multiplied by a number in the range I outlined.

@paperpanzer Actually that's not a bug.  That was intentionally done by Axel to allow Raiders to enter the STT with items.  The reason you can't drop it is because the game would explode upon the Raider exiting the driver seat and realizing his precious loot was gone.  It would be more realistic if that item got treated like the STT had picked up, which would make this far more feasible.  In the end, there's probably a reason TakeCarryingDrivers was disabled for this vehicle to begin with.

If you want to remove this functionality yourself, you can remove one line from the STT's stats section in the cfg:

SmallTruck {				; [Carry][Scan][Speed][Drill]	(No drill)
			Levels				16
			RouteSpeed			4.0:4.0:8.0:8.0:4.0:4.0:8.0:8.0:4.0:4.0:8.0:8.0:4.0:4.0:8.0:8.0
			MaxCarry			003:003:003:003:003:003:003:003:006:006:006:006:006:006:006:006
			CarryStart			000:000:000:000:000:000:000:000:003:003:003:003:003:003:003:003
			SurveyRadius			000:000:000:000:004:004:004:004:000:000:000:000:004:004:004:004
			TrackDist			50.0
			CollRadius			10.0
			CollHeight			12.0
			PickSphere			20.0
			CanBeDriven			TRUE
			CrossLand			TRUE
			UseSmallTeleporter		TRUE
			VehicleCanBeCarried		TRUE
			CostCrystal			4
			EnterToolStore			TRUE
			TakeCarryingDrivers		TRUE
			RubbleCoef			1

UpgradeCostOre			50:5:20:0
			UpgradeCostStuds		10:1:4:0

ShowHealthBar			TRUE
			EngineSound			SND_SmallEngine

OxygenCoef			-1.5
		}

This is an example taken from my own mod.  Remove the line TakeCarryingDrivers line or set it to FALSE to prevent them from entering the vehicle while carrying.  Probably should remove it myself for that matter, heh.

As for building studs, I believe this is an exe thing.  I have not looked into this much but I think this is regulated in the exe.

Edited by Slimy Slug
forgot to remove a line
  • Like 2

paperpanzer

Thanks for all the help @Cirevam and @Slimy Slug, with each little tweak the mod gets better and better.

As for Axel's updated/ fixed cfg file- I really think I need that file- maybe people's mileage will vary. I did manage to get past Molten Meltdown (by zerg rushing the cavern for crystals after building the base.) Would have rather slowed down to take my time and enjoy the game, but I'm not a fan or repeat crashes effectively blocking future levels.

Slimy Simple has had the strangest bug yet- I've never seen it until now. About 3/4ths of the way through the mission on occasion every single raider in the level vanishes, vehicles can still be operated (probably because they are treated as separate entities in this case)- but getting raiders out of vehicles or teleporting them down results in them vanishing as well. The best part is during this point (when the bug happens)- if you try to accesses any of the game menus (options, advanced options)- instant CTD. Still managed to get past the level, again by zerg rushing for crystals... but sheesh. I literally have no  clue what happened there. Which is even more of a kicker- because the other levels work like a champ.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Oh boy.  The disappearance bug.  It would be nice if we knew what exactly caused this; seems to behave completely differently on different machines.  

There is one known thing that does trigger the disappearance bug, the Tunnel Transport.

When it comes to the cfg stability, I'm not sure what exactly makes Axel's version included in the WADs so crashy.  

paperpanzer
13 minutes ago, Slimy Slug said:

Oh boy.  The disappearance bug.  It would be nice if we knew what exactly caused this; seems to behave completely differently on different machines.  

There is one known thing that does trigger the disappearance bug, the Tunnel Transport.

When it comes to the cfg stability, I'm not sure what exactly makes Axel's version included in the WADs so crashy.  

I didn't have the Tunnel Transport in Slimy Simple, but I did notice both times when the disappearing act happened I had the LMLC running around- I completed the level w/out one and there was no disappearing. Only level that's happened on so far. Tunnel Transport on the other hand in my experience I haven't had a problem with (though I did lower the volume/ pitch of the engine sound in Audacity)

Other than straight up CTDs has been game window freezes (even though it keeps running in the background) and effectively crashes the game anyway. This may have more to do with running LRR via Cyrem's DGVoodoo method as it was happening even vanilla. Though with the mod installed the "regular" CTDs have been more common.

In the case of the cfg file I will probably not know if it actually improves things or not for a while until a stable file is linked.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

If nobody else is going to try it, I might as well port Axel's cfg adjustments into a fresh file.  In fact, I may have a copy already from when I was still using Axel's mod as a basis for my own.  

As for the LMLC causing the disappearance bug... I've never had that happen unless the Tunnel Transport is around, or a Raider on an island with an Energy Crystal tries to path across the water.  The latter has only happened consistently on one map, so this could just be map related.

Why it is happening with a vehicle around makes me wonder though...

I can tell you that the crashes are only going to get worse the deeper you go into the mod.  For example, Water Works and Rocky Horror are far crashier than in Baz's mod, probably due to whatever is wrong with the cfg in the release of Axel's mod.

• Cyrem pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.