How to get Lego Island working foolproof in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Baz

Bits and pieces were scattered all about both on this forum and elsewhere so I figured I'd just post it all together here. If you are having any trouble getting Lego Island to work on Windows Vista and Windows 7, just follow this step by step until it works.

STEP 1:

Prior to installation, open the CD's directory and make sure SETUP.exe and INSTALL.exe are set to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or earlier (as early as Windows 95) compatibility mode by going into properties and clicking on the compatibility tab for both files.

STEP 2:

Install as normal, then before running the game, go to your CD directory and go to redistdirectx and copy the file d3drm.dll to your installation directory in Program Files x86/LEGO Island or whatever.

Alternatively you can download download the file from here: d3drm.dll (via the zip file) and extract the .dll file there.

STEP 3:

Once in the install directory, make sure msrun.exe, ISLE.exe, and LEGOisle.exe are both set to compatibility mode as you did in step one. Also set these files to run in 256 colors on the compatibility tab.

STEP 4:

Open up CONFIG.exe and set it to run in 256 colors, hit 'advanced' and select Ramp Emulation under Direct 3D Devices (turning 'Flip Video Memory Pages' back on is fine), then click 'OK' to exit. This should fix a common graphics problem for computers that aren't compatible with Direct 3D HAL.

STEP 5:

Go back to your CD directory, go into [cd directory]/Lego/Scripts and copy all the contents of this folder into your install directory in Program Files x86/LEGO Island/LEGO/Scripts. This will allow you to run the game without using the CD, resolving any issues the CD might have.

STEP 6:

Test run the game and once you reach the information center, hit escape or click on the door and see if it bugs out and crashes. If it doesn't crash, you should be good. If it does, then you have a number of options. Apparently messing around with what compatibility mode you run in sometimes fixes the problem, but the only way I could fix it is by running it through Steam: http://store.steampo....com/about/ by adding it as a non-steam game shortcut in your Steam Library and running it from there.

STEP 7:

If that doesn't solve the crashing on attempting to exit, then a work-around is to let it crash, but save your game before hand by going into the bluebook and resigning in or making a new profile each time before exiting/crashing.

I don't won LI (:(). but this will help a lot of people, I'm sure. ;)

As for the D3DRM dll, use this link instead.

https://ore.rockraidersunited.org/legacy/D3DRM_26640.zip

It's actually very dangerous to download DLL files from random places on the Internet, even if the site is a DLL only site. ;)

As for the D3DRM dll, use this link instead.

or you can use the link Baz gave

My game works perfectly on Windows 7.

I'm trying to get it to glitch on the exit but it keeps being perfect.

Modded Lego

The weird thing is that this game works with my windows vista computer and my windows 7 computer with no problems. I don't even have to enable compadability mode. :smug:

It's actually very dangerous to download DLL files from random places on the Internet, even if the site is a DLL only site. ;)

FFS, I'm sick and tired of your motherf***ing fears of these motherf***ing download sites. It's great if you want to be captain safety, but please, stop repeating this tired warning over and over. We get it already.

Besides, Baz would have most likely checked himself to see that the .dll is clean.

Why download at all? The file is on the disc, you can just copy it and paste it in the install directory...

If you put in System32 it'll work for all games that need it.

My game works perfectly on Windows 7.

I'm trying to get it to glitch on the exit but it keeps being perfect.

The weird thing is that this game works with my windows vista computer and my windows 7 computer with no problems. I don't even have to enable compadability mode. :smug:

This is probably because your computer's graphics card and/or video drivers are compatible with the outdated Direct 3D needed for the game without the need for emulation; this was the case for one of my friends computers as well. Also Windows is wonky sometimes.

Yes, you should only download DLL files from trusted webhosts, such as the one I linked to. DLL-files.com should be safe as long as you are knowing what you are downloading. It generates new temporary download mirrors with every download to prevent corruption.

Why download at all? The file is on the disc, you can just copy it and paste it in the install directory...

If you put in System32 it'll work for all games that need it.

Sure, whatever works.

• 5 months later...

Baz, could you go to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers and see if there are any strings for LI that may have been created by Steam, and if there are, what are their values? rio and I seem the think that Steam just applied some certain compatibility flags, and those flags fix the end gam crash. I am currently having this bug on two computers, and I do not want to sign up for Steam and install their client just to play LI.

EDIT: I got it working on Win7 and 8 (which is where the bug was coming up): Windows 98/ME Compatibility mode. :D

Edited by le717

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried everything Baz said to get it working, but my game always seems to freeze after clicking on the blue book to sign in.

Any ideas?

• 10 months later...

Hey guys, new here because I just couldn't get my game running. I followed all the steps here, I tried the alternative installer and I tried pretty much all graphics configurations. The game doesn't even start, it just opens a black borderless window that closes itself after a short time.

I use Windows 8 64 bit and have the initial German release as .ISO file (luckily made a backup a while ago, now the disk has died). Any ideas?

lol username

Are you running CONFIG.EXE, ISLE.EXE, and LEGOIsle.exe all as admin? In my experience, if you don't, the settings changes you make in CONFIG.EXE may not actually apply due to weird VirtualStore stuff. You can make them always run as admin by going to Properties > Compatibility, and checking the box for "Run this program as an administrator"

I checked and I did forget to do that. Changed it and it still crashes :/ I'll redo the installation tomorrow, I think on the one I have right now I tried the standart installer.

Thanks for your quick reply anyways! Do you think it is worth it to get one of the 2000s XP rereleases if I can't get this to work at all?

lol username

I'm not sure the core game was actually altered for those - I've got three copies; one from 1998, one with files dating from 2000 but released in Encore's 2001 LEGO Adventure Pack (the disc printing has both 2000 and 2001 copyright dates), and another from 2001 (the promotional Cheez Mania thing). The core game files on the first two are the same and from 1997, the only differences and new bits are other things like launchers/installers. The third one's disc seems to have warped a bit, so I can't read it, but it's just the standard game with a tacky launcher that advertises snacks.

• Like 3

Well, it didn't work. I still have a crappy Windows 7 laptop, I hate using that thing but I guess it is my only hope.

• 2 months later...
On 27.3.2016 at 9:47 PM, Terrev said:

I'm not sure the core game was actually altered for those - I've got three copies; one from 1998, one with files dating from 2000 but released in Encore's 2001 LEGO Adventure Pack (the disc printing has both 2000 and 2001 copyright dates), and another from 2001 (the promotional Cheez Mania thing). The core game files on the first two are the same and from 1997, the only differences and new bits are other things like launchers/installers. The third one's disc seems to have warped a bit, so I can't read it, but it's just the standard game with a tacky launcher that advertises snacks.

Some update, I have seen a cover that advertises Windows XP compatability. I know that some LEGO games had the problem of not working on XP (LEGO send me a new version of LEGO Studios when I was little, that was really great), could LEGO Island as one of the oldest be among those?

lol username

Yes, I'm aware of the re-releases - you just quoted the post where I said what I knew about them. :P

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Skeltal
On 7/5/2016 at 2:20 PM, 2ralos said:

SRtyimI.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

Well my friend, your probably running in D3D HAL Mode, which on newer computer's, does not work correctly (for the most part), reason being for this, is because direct x 5 is old and outdated, and doesn't work well with newer OS's, so try changing to RAMP Emulation, to fix your problem.

19 minutes ago, dellr said:

Well my friend, your probably running in D3D HAL Mode, which on newer computer's, does not work correctly (for the most part), reason being for this, is because direct x 5 is old and outdated, and doesn't work well with newer OS's, so try changing to RAMP Emulation, to fix your problem.

My settings were on RAMP emulation.

Oddly enough, when I woke my computer up the following morning, everything started working again.

I thought everything was working, but now my game freezes when I open the Blue Book.

Mr. Skeltal

Well, the best thing I can recommend at this point, is to try a program called PCem, which can emulate a Voodoo 3D card, which in term, supports direct x 5. Note, you will need to have a copy of windows 95, or windows 98.

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.