Can't install Lego Racers 2

Leumeister

Sorry to disappoint, but copyright law does say otherwise. As much as it sucks, you aren't legally allowed to download a game no matter what. Regardless if you have it or not, you are only entitled to the copy you own. Even if you send parts of it, that's still illegal. Now, when it comes to morality, it's debatable. Honestly, I'm not in control of your lives, so really it's up to you.

<snip>

And what exactly did he say wrong -_-

• Like 1

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Sorry to disappoint, but copyright law does say otherwise. As much as it sucks, you aren't legally allowed to download a game no matter what. Regardless if you have it or not, you are only entitled to the copy you own. Even if you send parts of it, that's still illegal. Now, when it comes to morality, it's debatable. Honestly, I'm not in control of your lives, so really it's up to you.

<snip>

My thoughts exactly. I seriously just stated the facts and admitted I wasn't in control of your lives. I never said you had to listen to me. Sheesh.

It's because we hear it enough on the forum that Extreme's annoyed. Almost everyone here knows that redistributing copyrighted EXEs is illegal. We don't need more preachers telling us that it's wrong. Plus, LEGO and DDI both know we exist and know what we do, and both don't seem to mind. We redistribute parts of LRR all the time and no one ever issues a cease-and-desist; why should it be any different for Lego Racers?

Besides, Extreme doesn't like authority, and acting like some superior moral authority reminding us how software licenses work will only make him jump out and laugh in your face. So let's move on.

<snip>

Nothing, he just didn't want hear it :P

We redistribute parts of LRR all the time

This is why I suggest Patchman, you can distro mods without distributing any other game content then the stuff you make yourself. Plus the downloads a much smaller then giving a whole wad.

This is why I suggest Patchman, you can distro mods without distributing any other game content then the stuff you make yourself. Plus the downloads a much smaller then giving a whole wad.

You still have to send all the assets.

You still have to send all the assets.

T

The assets you are sending are made by you no?, unless you are sending unmodified files....

The assets you are sending are made by you no?, unless you are sending unmodified files....

Yes, made by you. I'd like to see Patchman! install an entire overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually been writting a new one using InnoSetup, but it's not yet done. And the whole "requiers a cd at all times because there is no disc-less version" is really throwing me off. There is a registry string located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARELEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 2" entitled "CDpath", and it states the dvd drive you installed LR2 from. The problem is, I'm not sure how to remake this. I can't use

Root: HKLM; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers 2"; ValueName: "CDpath"; ValueType: String; ValueData: "{drive:{srcexe}}"; Flags: uninsdeletekey

because it would create the string using the drive letter of wherever the EXE was located, usually drive C:, which is usually Windows, instead of your DVD drive, which can be anything. Everything else I have to do is small stuff, but unless I can recreate that, the alternate installer is going nowhere. I might be able to make it ask you to locate your LR2 disc and it creates the string using that drive, but I'm not sure how to do that. :S

The CDDrive key won't work. SafeDisc looks for a disc on any drive, not the one you originally installed it on.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I've actually been writting a new one using InnoSetup, but it's not yet done. And the whole "requiers a cd at all times because there is no disc-less version" is really throwing me off. There is a registry string located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARELEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 2" entitled "CDpath", and it states the dvd drive you installed LR2 from. The problem is, I'm not sure how to remake this. I can't use

Root: HKLM; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Racers 2"; ValueName: "CDpath"; ValueType: String; ValueData: "{drive:{srcexe}}"; Flags: uninsdeletekey

because it would create the string using the drive letter of wherever the EXE was located, usually drive C:, which is usually Windows, instead of your DVD drive, which can be anything. Everything else I have to do is small stuff, but unless I can recreate that, the alternate installer is going nowhere. I might be able to make it ask you to locate your LR2 disc and it creates the string using that drive, but I'm not sure how to do that. :S

What version of Windows are you using because my entry is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/LEGO Media/games/LEGO Racers 2/

The CDDrive key won't work. SafeDisc looks for a disc on any drive, not the one you originally installed it on.

Is it SafeDisc? I didn't think it was, but I don't know.

It's called WoW64. LR2 and it's installer is x86. You are running Windows x64, where the registry is laid out a bit differently. WoW64 takes x86 programs and registry strings and redirects them to the correct x86 section of the registry, and takes x86 programs and tells them that their registry strings are now here, instead of where they normally would be. I'm using Windows x86 to write the installer so I can have the x86 strings and let WoW64 redirect them. If I wrote them for Windows x64, it wouldn't install on Windows x86 because that folder structure doesn't exist, and even if the installer created it, LR2 still wouldn't run, because it's looking for them in a different location. InnoSetup does have a

Check: IsWin64

which I could add to the strings, but it will still install the x86 strings, and WoW64 will still redirect those, thus wasting my time to even code the x64 strings in the first place.

Huh? If any drive letter satisfies the string, why does the InstallShield installer put the drive letter of which the game was installed from?

JrMasterModelBuilder

It's called WoW64. LR2 and it's installer is x86. You are running Windows x64, where the registry is laid out a bit differently. WoW64 takes x86 programs and registry strings and redirects them to the correct x86 section of the registry, and takes x86 programs and tells them that their registry strings are now here, instead of where they normally would be. I'm using Windows x86 to write the installer so I can have the x86 strings and let WoW64 redirect them. If I wrote them for Windows x64, it wouldn't install on Windows x86 because that folder structure doesn't exist, and even if the installer created it, LR2 still wouldn't run, because it's looking for them in a different location. InnoSetup does have a

Check: IsWin64

which I could add to the strings, but it will still install the x86 strings, and WoW64 will still redirect those, thus wasting my time to even code the x64 strings in the first place.

Ah, I figured that might be the case. Never done much research into it, so nice to know!

Huh? If any drive letter satisfies the string, why does the InstallShield installer put the drive letter of which the game was installed from?

Not sure, but it does it for most newer games (have a look at they keys for games like TS3 and GTA IV).

Not sure, but it does it for most newer games (have a look at they keys for games like TS3 and GTA IV).

Well, that didn't work. I changed that string to "C:", since that's the drive that normally would be written there, and LR2 will not run. It said insert the disc when the disc was in. When I changed it back, it loaded. Back to square 1.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.