Extreme Lag

mingo888

Hello people. I recently installed rock raiders on my hp pavilion dv7 notebook running windows 7. I used to play it a long time ago, but since I have lost the disk. I ended up downloading and burning the game files onto a blank disk which worked fine. Installation was fine too, and like most people, i encountered several problems which i was able to fix (such as the missing dll. file error). However one problem made the screen go and stay black after launching the shortcut or the actual .exe file. I was able to fix this by hacking into the LegoRR1 WAD file and finding "dontplayavi's". I then turned the false to true, recompiled, and ran the program and it worked (without the avi movies of course)! However about 30 seconds into each mission/training mission the game will freeze for a couple seconds then unfreeze. It will keep doing this continuously. It also seems the longer i play the mission/training mission to more frequent the freezes and the longer duration of them. I have tried different compatibility modes, standard shortcut, advanced shortcut, and all 4 different ways when you click the actual .exe file and select the mode from the dialog box. Nothing seems to fix this. Anybody know how to fix/lessen this or anybody got any tips?

Alright, can you open LegoRR.cfg and modify the TextureUsage value to something higher than what it already is, then recompile? That usually works in issues of lag.

Also, welcome to RRU! I appreciate the fact that you took the time to learn how to mod this game. It'll make solving this problem a little easier.

I opened the cfg file and found textureusage to be almost at the top of the notepad.

It said that the texture usage was 3145728

How much higher should i make it?

Please just tell me the number i should turn it into.

Also this is the cfg file located in the LegoRR1.WAD file correct?

And after i change the number should I save, recompile, and run?

Thanks for helping out.

I changed it to 99999999, but I still got the same problem. Tried it with the the Standard shortcut the and windows mode but nothing worked, it still freezes and unfreezes constantly. Also one more thing to note: If the game freezes while the captains Lego guy is talking (like in training missions or at the start of normal missions) it will keep replaying that section of him talking like a broken record till it unfreezes so it might sound like this: "-hen click on the ground near the arrow to mak- -hen click on the ground near the arrow to mak- -hen click on the ground near the arrow to mak- -hen click on the ground near the arrow to mak-" and so on. I would suppose it does this will all audio, the talking is just more noticeable. Also when i retried running the game after i changed the textureusage i ran the game without any compatibility mode on if that matters. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

i don't know if it could help(i never used it) but you can try the memory ---

nvm, that is the texture usage thing :L

sorry, can't help ya!

I used to have a similar problem on my old computer. I tried many different things to fix it, but nothing worked. Eventually, I discovered that disabling the in-game music fixed it. You can do this by going into options and set Music to "OFF" or enable debug keys and just hit "M" on your keyboard.

Hope this helps!

I used to have a similar problem on my old computer. I tried many different things to fix it, but nothing worked. Eventually, I discovered that disabling the in-game music fixed it. You can do this by going into options and set Music to "OFF" or enable debug keys and just hit "M" on your keyboard.

Hope this helps!

By options do you mean the Lego.cfg file? Please be a little more specific and tell me exactly where and what to do.

Also one more important thing to note:

These freezes only occur when playing the actual missions. There has been no sign of lag or freezes when in the game menu when you first launch the application, even with advanced mode. Also there is no lag or freezes in the mission summary where you get a percent. However, there has been freezes when you press escape during a mission to open the mission menu. The strangest thing is that there is no lag or freezes when completing, failing, or quitting a mission and your people/buildings are getting beamed up with the blue light.

Anybody have any more tips/suggestions?

(talks about options menu)
Please be a little more specific and tell me exactly where and what to do.

press escape during a mission to open the mission menu.

You see this last thing you said? Do that. Find "Options". It's right there. s0d told you exactly what to do and you obviously know how to get to the pause menu where Options is located, so please put two and two together. As a message to everyone who is new to RRU and needs help with LRR, we want to help anyone that has issues with the game but you need to pay attention to what we're saying and what's written in-game.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH. I got it to work now. :)

One more problem though, when i go to use a sonic blaster on training mission 8, it will count down from 5 to 1. After 1 however, either the game crashes or it show a few sparks flying off the sonic blaster then crashes. When it crashes i get this issue "LegoRR.exe has stopped working". I tested TNT too, since they are similar. However i found no bugs with TNT, just with sonic blasters. Anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Really? Any idea why the old one may have caused it?

Possibly some corruption in one of the files? It doesn't affect my copy, so maybe it's a specific disk publisher that corrupted it.

Possibly some corruption in one of the files? It doesn't affect my copy, so maybe it's a specific disk publisher that corrupted it.

That could be it, the one I have is unaffected as well.

Tried the sonic blaster on a normal level, seems to work fine now.

Now i can play rock raiders problem free! :)

Thanks for all the support guys, you really helped me out. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! Fixed the sonic blaster crashing my game. It turned out that turning "automatic game speed" to OFF in advanced options fixed this problem. Now i can play rock raiders without sonic blasters crashing the game. :)

• 4 years later...
larsstoelhorst

hello i just started to play rock raiders again and it laggs very hard can someone help me? because i want to play it but without lagg

it would be great if you could make a new topic instead of bumping an old one, and if you could be a bit more descriptive about what's happening and what your computer specs are.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.