Lego Racers Revisional Differences

le717

I've barely played my 1999 copy, and I've already found more revisional between the 1999 and 2001 versions. Instead of listing just the new ones, I will make a list of all known differences. If I'm missing something, let me know and I'll add it. ;)

Key: Lists goes from Installation to gameplay to game files.

1999:

• Has different box printings
  • Color Paper Manual
  • Asks you to register the game after installation (Files located under \REGISTER\English on disc)
  • Splash Screen on startup
  • Requires disc to run (Copy-protection)
  • Licences has Gold, Silver and Bronze trophies
  • Loading Screen images fill entire screen (on most races)
  • Racing Physics are tighter (needs verification)
  • Runs without compressed LEGO.JAM
  • Has file named LEGORacers.icd (Copy-protection)

2001:

• Ships with no box (as far as I'm aware)
  • B&W PDF Manual
  • Requires no registration
  • No Splash Screen
  • Runs with out a disc (no Copy-protection)
  • Licences have no trophies
  • Loading Screen images shrunken into yellow frame with blue brick background around it
  • Racing Physics are looser (needs verification)
  • Requires compressed LEGO.JAM
  • Does not have LEGORacers.icd (no Copy-protection)

And just for fun, let's compare it to the demo:

Demo:

• Requires no registration
  • Has no manual (needs verification)
  • No Splash Screen
  • Intro videos are 3D models inside LEGO.JAM instead of AVI files
  • Licences have no trophies
  • Loading Screen images shrunken into yellow frame with blue brick background around it
  • Racing Physics are (needs answer as I can't remember)
  • Requires compressed LEGO.JAM (needs verification)​

So, there's a lot more differences than we first thought, eh? I think so.

• Like 1

Mr. Eight-Three-One

You sure about "No splash screen on startup"? Because it's actually glitched in the 2001 version. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. On my copy (2001), it just played the sounds for a while but no video. For some reason, though, it now plays properly no matter what. So, really, I think it's just a bug.

lol username

You sure about "No splash screen on startup"? Because it's actually glitched in the 2001 version. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. On my copy (2001), it just played the sounds for a while but no video. For some reason, though, it now plays properly no matter what. So, really, I think it's just a bug.

Not that splash screen, the 1999 version has a blue splash screen with the logo that stays up for a few seconds before the game launches and goes into 640 x 480 fullscreen mode, then the glitched LEGO Media intro and other videos play. Kinda like the Stunt Rally splash screen.

Also, I've been playing my newly-arrived 1999 copy a bit tonight and am currently up to circuit 4. All the load screens so far have the blue border except Pirate Skull Pass, where the map stretches to fill the entire screen (and it doesn't in the 2001 version). But not ALL the 1999 maps fill the entire screen, as said, the only one I've found so far that does is PSP. At least in normal mode, haven't done mirror mode yet. So what's up with that? I'm wondering if the fullscreen load screen maps are actually a glitch in the 1999 version, which was corrected in the 2001 version. For anybody else here with the 1999 version, what do the load screens look like for each track?

Also, the 1999 version does indeed has a different warping sound effect. To be more specific, I think the sound effect is there in the 2001 version, just that the volume was lowered a lot. In the 1999 version it's quite loud.

And yes, mine is indeed a 1999 version, aside from the obvious "©1999" text everywhere on the disc and case, it has the blue splash screen, trophies, etc, pretty much everything in the list Le posted aside from the supposed physics changes, which I haven't really tested out yet. It feels the same though, if there are any differences they must be really small ones. I'll do some tests and comparison between the two versions on the physics and post what happens, but so far in my racing nothing feels different.

EDIT: Just finished up the 99 game, beat all circuits and time trials. And yeah, the only fullscreen load screen is Pirate Skull Pass, all the others look like they do in the 2001 version. I call glitch.

Modded Lego

Thats weird because all of my screens are fullscreen when the races start.

Here are some pics:

here is the Desert Adventure Driveway

desertadventuredragwayl.png

Here is The One For Nightmare-Athon:

knightmareathonloadings.png

It's strange isn't it! Why doesn't Jamesster have all of the fullscreen loading screens and I do. Because I went through every race and they are all fullscreen. Weird! O_O

JrMasterModelBuilder

You say you notice better racing performance in the 1999 version? Did you compare boh versions on the same computer? Does anyone else have both games and agree with this?

lol username

Well, this is certainly strange. Le, what exactly did you mean when you said the full screen maps were only "on most races" for you? And Modded Lego, could you possibly get some pictures of your 1999 disc and case, to compare? Here's mine:

Front

Inside

Inside... Thingy

Disc

Back

Side

Also, the 1999 and 2001 games perform exactly the same for me, they run at a solid 60 FPS all the time, really smooth.

EDIT: Just installed the 1999 game on my desktop, the slowdown problems it has with the 2001 version are still here.

Also, just like on my laptop, all the load screens have blue borders except Pirate Skull Pass. I'm not so sure this is a glitch now... If it is, it's managed to replicate itself exactly on two entirely different computers and operating systems. And I find that a tad unlikely. So, Le, which of your load screens have borders?

lol username

I'm pretty sure the inside thingy would be called the back of the manual...

Except it isn't a manual. It's a single piece of paper.

Modded Lego

Well Here are some of my pics of what my Lego Racers 1 Game:

The Box:

legoracers1box.jpg

The Jewel Case:

jewelcase1999.png

The Disc:

legoracerscd.jpg

Front Cover From Box And Manual:

coverqbl.jpg

Back Cover From Box And Manual:

backcovermi.jpg

The Cover Of The Jewel Case:

legoracers1cover.jpg

Inside Of Manual:

insidemanual.jpg

These are all of my pics of my Lego Racers 1 Game. Are they the same as yours Jamesster? :love:

lol username

I meant actual pictures of YOUR disc... If you take a good look, my disc is actually different from the one you posted. Sure, they're both Rocket Racer on a green background, but they do actually have different printing, and probably, given the differences in our load screens, different content. That's why I wanted a real picture, to see if yours at least had the exact same printing as mine or not. So which does yours actually look like? The one you linked to or mine? Also, a video comparison of the warp sound effects:

The 1999 one is first, the 2001 one second.

Also, in another topic, Cirevam said that his 2001 version has trophies, but that's because he transferred his save file from his 1999 game (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Well, I tried loading my 1999 save in my 2001 game, and it had no trophies. Sure, it loaded everything else fine, but not a trophy in sight. Also, something odd, while the 2001 version places the save folder and screenshots in the same directory as the EXE, the 1999 version always places them in "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers", despite being installed at "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 1999" (my 2001 game is installed at "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 2001").

Also, a bit of an update on the performance, turns out that the 1999 game DOES indeed run smoother on my Windows 7 desktop. It's still choppy, but while the 2001 version drops all the way down to 20 FPS at parts, the 1999 version only drops to around 40. Both run at a solid 60 FPS on my Windows XP laptop, as I've said before.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Well, this is certainly strange. Le, what exactly did you mean when you said the full screen maps were only "on most races" for you? And Modded Lego, could you possibly get some pictures of your 1999 disc and case, to compare? Here's mine:

Front

Inside

Inside... Thingy

Disc

Back

Side

Also, the 1999 and 2001 games perform exactly the same for me, they run at a solid 60 FPS all the time, really smooth.

EDIT: Just installed the 1999 game on my desktop, the slowdown problems it has with the 2001 version are still here.

Also, just like on my laptop, all the load screens have blue borders except Pirate Skull Pass. I'm not so sure this is a glitch now... If it is, it's managed to replicate itself exactly on two entirely different computers and operating systems. And I find that a tad unlikely. So, Le, which of your load screens have borders?

I just carefully compared my CD and case to your and we have exactly the same game.

Also, in another topic, Cirevam said that his 2001 version has trophies, but that's because he transferred his save file from his 1999 game (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Well, I tried loading my 1999 save in my 2001 game, and it had no trophies. Sure, it loaded everything else fine, but not a trophy in sight. Also, something odd, while the 2001 version places the save folder and screenshots in the same directory as the EXE, the 1999 version always places them in "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers", despite being installed at "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 1999" (my 2001 game is installed at "C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers 2001").

Also, a bit of an update on the performance, turns out that the 1999 game DOES indeed run smoother on my Windows 7 desktop. It's still choppy, but while the 2001 version drops all the way down to 20 FPS at parts, the 1999 version only drops to around 40. Both run at a solid 60 FPS on my Windows XP laptop, as I've said before.

I think Cirevam said that he didn't remember if he was using his 2001 copy or not, but I don't remember for certain.

That's strange about the save location. Mine save in the same folder as the EXE no matter where it is although maybe this is only after removing the installation requirement.

lol username

I'll do some testing with the save folder location, I have a feeling I may have screwed it up somehow. Also:

[8:00:56 PM] jamesster: so cirevam

[8:01:08 PM] jamesster: You have trophies in your 2001 LR1?

[8:01:16 PM] Cirevam: I do if I load a 1999 save

Please note that I may have "tested" ^that by swapping exe files around, so it's possible I actually installed the 1999 version but put the 2001 exe in so the game would run diskless. I can't remember if I did or not, so in a few weeks I can uninstall all my Lego Racers stuff and start over to make some test cases.

Modded Lego

My game disc looks exactly as the picture shows because that is my disc! :af: I just got rid of the background. Thanks for the warp sound video. o)

lol username

Hah, really? Wow, good job on the edit, I thought it was a stock picture from somewhere else. So, different disc printing, and different load screens. So that's yet another version? Well, I guess I'll try to hunt that down now...

• Like 1

Modded Lego

Thanks! Took me a while to remove the background. I wouldn't use stock pictures because it has to be my product. :E

• 1 month later...

1. I have the same disc as Jamesster and ModdedLego. @ModdedLego What OS are you playing LR on when you get the full screen loading screens? XP or Vista? Both Jamesster and I are on Windows 7 x64, and we get only one full screen loading screen, and it was on PSP.

2. Before I installed the 1999 version, the racing flyovers at the beginning were choppy. When I installed the 1999 one, they were smooth, as were the 1999 ones. I have seen a little bit of physics differences between the two. If I had a warp or jetpacks when crossing the finish line on Desert Adventure Dragway, I would get back on the track in the '99, while I would hit the wall and run into the sand in the '01 version.

So, did I miss anything? :P

Modded Lego

I run the Lego Racers 1999 version on windows vista and i get the full screen loading screens

Here is a pic:

scaled.php?server=805&filename=desertadv

Another picture:

scaled.php?server=98&filename=knightmare

I don't think it matters which OS you have it on because I was playing it on my Windows xp computer before my hard drive died and it had the full screen loading screens. I haven't tried it on a windows 7 OS though. So I don't know if being on a Windows 7 OS disables the full screen loading screens. It would be highly unlikly that would be the case. I have the 1999 version and the same disk so what could it be??? :?:

lol username

OS seems entirely unrelated to this, as I installed my 1999 game on my XP laptop and it had the same load screens as my 7 desktop (only PSP was full screen).

Also, I just compared warping between the two versions, and even though I warped with the same car (Scooter) in the exact same spot in both versions, and didn't press a single key after triggering the warp, the cars ended up in different places once they stopped bouncing around. So physics changes between the two versions are confirmed, though I'd like to do some more experiments just to make sure, and also figure out more details on what exactly they changed. But that's for tomorrow.

I have a 1999 copy and the loading screens are not fullscreen. I suggest we compare checksums of the exe/icd/dll/jam files since there may be differences even between builds made in the same year.

I have a 1999 copy and the loading screens are not fullscreen. I suggest we compare checksums of the exe/icd/dll/jam files since there may be differences even between builds made in the same year.

Great idea! But, um, how do we do that? Is there some Windows program on Sourceforge I can use to do this? Because frankly, I have no idea how to do that, and while I have access to Ubuntu right now, I'm still trying to figure it out, and Racers won't run on there anyway. :(

EDIT: Origamiguy, do you think this loading screen difference could be related to OS version? I've yet to run my 1999 version on XP, (although jamesster has, and it's the same thing), but remember, this game was originally made for Windows 98. I have a copy of Win98SE, and I can load it in a VM to run Racers if I need to.

Edited by le717

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.