Adventures! Russian Magazine Translations

emily

Well, the BZPower topic for this is long gone, and it seems like people here may be more interested in this anyways, so here we go...

The magazines seen here were originally published in English as Adventures! Magazine, but came out in Russia as Homemade Magazine. I don't have any access to the original versions, so I've translated the comics from these Russian ones.

ADVENTURERS

Dinner for Dinosaurs

Notes: Only place to describe how Mike joined the Adventurers, however vague it is.

ALPHA TEAM

Ogel's Cunning Plan

Notes: While Flex's name is normal, Dash is identified as Vortex, Radia's name translates inconsistently between Radium and Radiation, and Cam, strangely, is called Nick. Ogel's name usually came out as Ohel (and, less frequently, Ogle) and Tee Vee was Ti Integer, possibly due to the Russian word for integer being spelled the same as the phonetic spelling for Vee.

Secret Island

ARCTIC

Save the Whale

CITY CENTER

Coastal Rescue

Race in the Sky

Notes: In this and several other comics, The Brickster has the appearance of Jailbreak Joe. Interestingly, this also occurs in the DK book Trouble at the Bridge, possibly in addition to others. The Brickster, when translated literally, is known as Brick. The comic also features Extreme Team, which is strange seeing as it is labeled as a City Center comic.

Special Cargo

Friendship Wins

Notes: A lot of the translations didn't make sense, so be wary of nonsensical statments and possible innaccurate lines I filled in based on the context.

The Invisible Enemy

Skateboard Chase

Accident at the Power Plant

Snakes and Ladders

Satellite

RACERS

Cold, but Fun!

SPACE PORT

Journey to the Moon

Notes: The astronauts are called Captain Jerry Walker and Navigator Tina Orbit. In the translation I used their US names, Buzz Bailey and Hallie Comet, since I'm not 100% certain on the names. I couldn't translate the last minifig's name so I went with Technician Bob, the only alternate name I knew of at the time for the minifig.

STUDIOS

[unknown] May Vary

STUNT RALLY

Race to the Finish

Notes: I don't think Lucky really says "Holy ABS!", but it was something Google suggested which I found somewhat amusing, ABS is the plastic from which LEGO bricks are produced. Lucky is named Miss Fortune(pun), and Wrench is named Turbo.

KNIGHTS' KINGDOM

Cunning Plan

LIFE ON MARS

The Mystery of the Red Planet

Notes: The Martian is called Antares, but has the appearance of Pollux.

Robot vs. Robot

A Slight Shock!

SOCCER

Decisive Kick

There are a couple more still that I should be able to translate soon. All of the comics can be found in this Brickshelf folder.

lol username

Thanks for re-posting this here. :D I like how the first Life on Mars comic follows the story also presented on the website at the time.

I really hate it when they do this.

I just really hate it.

I have some of these magazines. In English though. Around 10 - 15 maybe. I could dig them out if you want to see the English versions of some of these comics.

I've added another comic, the Stunt Rally one.

Thanks for re-posting this here. :D I like how the first Life on Mars comic follows the story also presented on the website at the time.

My pleasure! I agree, the continuity between the comic and the online logs is nice.

I really hate it when they do this.

I just really hate it.

Agreed, now we will never know who it was really supposed to be - Antares or Pollux...

I have some of these magazines. In English though. Around 10 - 15 maybe. I could dig them out if you want to see the English versions of some of these comics.

That would be great, especially if you happen to have any comics that I haven't posted here. The number of issues that Brickshelf user tkf uploaded in Russian is just a fraction of the full number of magazines there were, to my understanding.

I've just dug them out and i've got more than i thought. I've got 19 of them ranging from issue number 3 to 25. I'll take some pictures of them and upload them tomorrow.

It seems as if the Ogel's Cunning Plan comic may be suceeded by the Alpha Team comic in the March/April 2001 Mania Magazine (see here). Then again, it may just be a coincidence.

I've just dug them out and i've got more than i thought. I've got 19 of them ranging from issue number 3 to 25. I'll take some pictures of them and upload them tomorrow.

Thanks! I'm very eager to see what's inside the magazines.

I've done the first one.

*note: You might have to wait for the folder to become pubic before you can see them.

Issue 3:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=498932

Issue 5:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=498996

Issue 8:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=499373

Issue 11:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=499841

I'll edit this post with the rest of them.

I really can't thank you enough for uploading the magazine!

Aside from the exitement of finally being able to read one of these in English, it's also nice to see some of Google's translations of minifigure names were correct, at least based off of the minifig list on the second page.

The entire thing was very interesting to me, I like to see how LEGO magazines change across time and place and this was a largely unknown area to me. The comics, as well, were good to read, especially the Adventurers one.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I've added a couple of new comics from issues 28 and 30. I also added a couple of notes on the Stunt Rally comic that I had forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
Retsnom Kcor

I really hate it when they do this. I just really hate it.
Agreed, now we will never know who it was really supposed to be - Antares or Pollux...

I'd guess that it is supposed to be Antares, given that he drives the Recon Mech RP. Also, I find "Uh oh! the wind knocked me over!" to be incredibly amusing.

Overall, I find these to be very interesting.

Thanks

are you do the LR2 one next? (im talking about this issue http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=407043)

Yep, that's the last one and I've finished it and just need to paste the translations into the comic. If all goes as planned, it will be up tomorrow.

I'd guess that it is supposed to be Antares, given that he drives the Recon Mech RP. Also, I find "Uh oh! the wind knocked me over!" to be incredibly amusing.

Overall, I find these to be very interesting.

Yeah, there are a few lines that sound kind of corny like that one. :P I'm not sure if it's a result of Google's flawed translations, or if the comics are actually like that...

I Am Not Here

Anyone happen to have this Issue?

AdventuresMagazine99-9p1.jpg

I have that Issue! It's missing pages and I don't know where it is though. :(

What pages is missing?

Anyone happen to have this Issue?

*SNIP*

I have that Issue! It's missing pages and I don't know where it is though. :(

What pages are missing?

I'm not sure. I's been years since I last saw that magazine.

now if only someone upload scans of Issue #6 :(

I found my Issue #6. It turns out that it isn't missing pages. :D

However, I'm too lazy to scan it in. :whistle:

I'd also need to edit out my scribblings in it.

Oh, by the way, Baron Von Barron is called Mr Hates in this Issue.

I Am Not Here

now if only someone upload scans of Issue #6 :(

I found my Issue #6. It turns out that it isn't missing pages. :D

However, I'm too lazy to scan it in. :whistle:

I'd also need to edit out my scribblings in it.

Oh, by the way, Baron Von Barron is called Mr Hates in this Issue.

Oh Ok

Just wondering

is it true that the comic for #6 has Johnny as the main or just in another comic? (cause my friend of mine have read that mag issue as a kid)

is it true that the comic for #6 has Johnny as the main or just in another comic? (cause my friend of mine have read that mag issue as a kid)

There are two comics in this issue:

The Red Ruby (Starring Johnny Thunder, Pippin Read, Mr Hates, Slyboots and Pharaoh Hotep's Mummy)

Magma Moon Marathon (Starring Rocket Racer, Veronica Voltage, Captain Redbeard and Batlord)

I Am Not Here

There are two comics in this issue:

The Red Ruby (Starring Johnny Thunder, Pippin Read, Mr Hates, Slyboots and Pharaoh Hotep's Mummy)

Magma Moon Marathon (Starring Rocket Racer, Veronica Voltage, Captain Redbeard and Batlord)

Ok cant wait to see those scans

just wondering, you have brickshelf?

Thanks for continuing to upload the issues you have, apemax. Issue 11 is quite interesting - they began work on Arctic in 1987?!?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.