Game-Screen Is Black On Start-Up

Graesholt

New problem guys:

I had the game installed and running around Christmas, but then school commenced and I hadn’t the time for a while. Just today I figured I’d take a mission or two, since I found I suddenly had a moment.

Starting up the game in exactly the same manner as back when it worked proved unsuccessful:

I can hear the LEGO logo assemble but the screen is black. After that the sound dies and there’s no picture neither.

I have leafed through the forums, but I can’t seem to find anything that fits this particular issue.

I’ve tried everything I could think about:

Compability mode

Both my graphics cards

265 color setting.

True color (32 bit) - High color (16 bit)

Run as Administrator

Restarting

Crying pathetically

And finally reinstalling.

After reinstalling, I have the exact same issue as before, and also after trying all of the above once more.

Any suggestions gents?

I know that I can count on my fellow Rock Raiders :D

Reinstalling DirectX did not cut it.

As for your second question, I have attempted to run the game in both, yet they shared the same issue.

I didn't include this info initially, as I found it irrelevant :D

You seem nice :D

Unpack the WADs and use the data method for running the game - it will help for this solution and allow for future modding should you wish to do so.

Go into lego.cfg and change DontPlayAvis FALSE to DontPlayAvis TRUE. Keep in mind that this will disable in-game videos.

If you must have videos, ignore what I said - there's a codec you'll need to install. You can find it here: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/files/file/399-rock-raiders-video-codec/

I already have the codec, and I don't believe that it's a video issue (as far as I can tell).

However, your first suggestion intrigued me, even though I don't fully understand it.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the mechanics of these ‘WADs’ and the ‘data method’?

I’m afraid I’m not sure what any of those things mean :P

The WADs, Legorr1.wad and LegoRR0.wad, are a little like zip files as they contain other files in a compressed (and in this case encrypted) format.

You can extract them using the WAD tool. Since the RRU link is down I will temporarily host the file until it is reuploaded at ftp://97.95.232.155/Programs/WAD%20Tool.zip

The Data method simply requires you to extract the files from the WADs and stick their contents in the data folder of the game's root directory (C:Program FilesLEGO MediaRock Raiders for 32 bit systems, C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaRock Raiders for 64 bit systems). There's an in-depth tutorial that talks about what's possible with WADs and the Data method, located here:

I personally stuck the WADs in a separate folder on my computer, but if you're sure you'll never need them again you can delete them after you've unpacked them. I highly recommend keeping the wads on hand in case you mess something up while modding so you can revert to the original files.

And extracting the WADs to my game directory will solve the issue with the black screen and no sound?

For some reason, the WAD tool will neither open nor extract my LegoRR1.wad and LegoRR0.wad.

I states that they are 'not valid Rock Raider WADs'.

Why? wait, what?

If you get the "Not Valid" message, try running the WAD tool as an administrator. I've only heard of that issue happening in Windows Vista so I'm assuming that's what you have.

Anyway, the data method won't fix the issue directly. As I said before, you have to edit the CFG after you extract everything. This just makes everything much more accessible.

I don't mean to seem like an imbicile, but I feel I need to ask, so bear with me;

What exactly will this do to my game?

If it will by no chance fix my issue, I don't see why I would bother to extract the WADs...?

To be fair, I will just clarify;

I am not ungrateful for your help. Quite the opposite actually...

I'm simply a tiny tad confused :P

Unpacking the WADs will allow you to edit the configuration file (lego.cfg), including changing DontPlayAvis FALSE to DontPlayAvis TRUE which will disable in-game videos, thus allowing you to play the game without trouble (except random crashes which will happen on occasion during levels), and in addition it will allow you to access most of the game resources if you decide to mod the game.

Basically, it will help, although it's only one step.

But I am pretty certain that this is not a video issue, as I spend a lot of energy a little while back getting the videos to play properly.

The problem is that I only hear sound, regardles of if a video is playing or the intro is done. I only hear sound while the screen is black.

The videos are not the issue.

The program itself is somehow calibrated wrongly on my system, even though it ran smoothly a while back.

This is really strange. It's not a d3drm.dll issue (it doesn't sound like one, anyway...), it's not a problem with the videos... The only solution I can think of is backing up your data, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. Push comes to shove you may end up having to run the game in a virtual machine running Windows 95 or 98.

Unless someone else has a solution that isn't as extreme... I'm really stumped.

I updated my video card driver (both :P) yeserday, even though I could have spared one, since the game normally runs on my integrated graphics card, and both cards share the same issue.

I tried the link and what you suggested, but it had no effect.

I really appreciate all your help though :D

Oh, and no; none of my other games do this.

Just tried, and not one does anything similar, which is to say that they all work as normal.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue it seems, though a friend with the same hardware specs does not seem to have it. Only our gaphic cards differ so it might really be in there

Sorry for the delay, Dear Extreme110.

I got caught up in my studies for a while...

Anyway, I have a GEFORCE GT 540M and an integrated graphics card, which I think is the one called 'Intel® HD Graphics Family' in the DirectX Diagnostic tool.

I have previously run the game with the integrated graphics card, and beack then I had no problem whatsoever...

Thoughts?

Your graphics card is pretty new compared to the game, which I think is the problem. You're going to have to use the old, slow integrated graphics when you want to play LegoRR.

Take a look through the readme, quickly. Just see if any of the troubleshooting apples to you.

But, as stated already, I am running the game, and I used to, with the inregrated graphics card.

Running the game with the new one used to cause a problem, which I had help (from you, among others, if memory serves) solving in another forum post, and since then I've been using integrated graphics.

That would not be the problem, I suppose, as I have switched back and forth between the two several times, in attempts to make my game work again...

Oh, right. Well then, this just keeps getting more complex. Let's start over. Reinstall the game (backup your saves if you have any), and then try all the support stuff you've tried before.

I use my GT 540M to run LRR and it runs perfectly. That GPU might not be the problem, so don't rule it out completely.

No, and my GeForce did run it fine, but it refused to play the movies of the game...

Anyway, no card does it now, so I don't know what...?

I have reinstalled the game several times already, every time trying everything once more, so I don't see the point in going through the tedious process again, as the issue has not changed since.

(No offence meant, of course)

* That is to say; no card shows any visuals now (I don't know if that was entirely clear).

I have absolutely no idea what to do next. This problem is beyond me. I'll keep searching for a possible solution, but I dunno man.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.