Adb/gdb/sdb (Animation/geometry/skeleton)

dead_name

So, I've been looking into the ADB and SDB files which are very closely linked in with the GDB files.

ADB files define animations.

GDB files define geometry.

SDB files define model skeletons.

And since, what with being single and all, I have far too much time on my hands, I figured out how they all work.

Okay that's a lie, I haven't worked out how the GDB meshes work with the skeletons yet.

To demonstrate:

Original animation in-game:

And in my rudimentary viewer:

It's amazing what whiskey, Deadmau5, Basshunter, and pure determination can do.

O_O

... YOU ARE A CHAMPION, MY FRIEND.

Seriously, this is some serious stuff you're doing. I think you've singlehandedly figured out most of the modding capabilities for LEGO Racers. At first, I thought "whatev." But NOW...

Wow. Just wow.

It'll be interesting to see if ADB/SKB are at all similar to LWS. We can already edit those with a simple text editor, but these are binary files so I have no idea what they look like.

It'll be interesting to see if ADB/SKB are at all similar to LWS. We can already edit those with a simple text editor, but these are binary files so I have no idea what they look like.

LWS? I'm guessing this is from Rock Raiders?

@jamesster :P (I would like it, but that has seemed to be removed...

@origamiguy Oh wow. You are good! BTW, that first video is funny! But I don't remember him bending like that. You said you changed the animation speed, but what else did you do?

• 2 years later...

I have been looking in the sdb and gdb files now, too.

When you simply look in the gdb file for the CR character in the GAMEDATACOMMONS folder (CRPELVIS.GDB) you will get something like this:

cDj1rar.png

If you also look into the PELVIS.SDB file (same folder) and respect the bones structure you may get somthing like this:

bABmlEj.png

I think this is a good start for HD meshes.

I had also a look into the corresponding files in the MENUDATACIRCUIT1 folder (GUY1.GDB & GUY1.SDB) but I have still an issue with the overlapping vertex lists:

jEpua8H.png

I have replaced

40qbP3i.png

by

G3lANKB.png

So instead of

mbDvD5f.png

I get

8LLyJ9W.png

The game is running but I have some issues with the scaling and it looks like everything connected to the head bone.

That is it for today.

I just noticed the URL for this topic. l405G.jpg

Anyway, good job! I don't know much about LR modding... but nevertheless, you're doing very well.

Looks like the colors and uvmaps are still not ok. Arms and 'hands' are also missing.

ElAnC9s.jpg

euAoKoM.jpg

I did not try to use a gdb file with normals, yet. I think I will try that next. You can not really see the legs. The source is the LDD.

Or is he sitting too deep?

• Like 2

I used the .lxf file from this post: by jamesster to create this file:

lsdcAjS.png

I included it in the game and it is working. But I do not really like the result (besides it is a little bit to small, a little bit to deep and a little bit to far to the back). I think this files really need normals.

By the way - is there a good way to make screenshots?

SsWjIT3.jpgiHj6A8K.jpgiBfY0Vy.jpg

Now the car has the better size but the textures are not the right ones.

9GTstO6.jpg

• Like 2

A file with normals is workung but has no other result.

I started recalculating the colors depending on the normals (light source for my calcuation is from the top) and I got this (textures are still wrong):

Vl09fXj.jpg

• Like 2

I think F10 or F12 saves a .bmp in the game's folder, which could be handy, if that's what ya want.

I think F10 or F12 saves a .bmp in the game's folder, which could be handy, if that's what ya want.

Thank you for the hint. I did not know that way. But I was looking for a technic to make images like that Jimbob made (e.g. here: ). From the front and in a really good quality. Maybe there is a special technic?

question: this is the redbeard NPC car, right?

Yes, I think so. Here is a comparison of the original model and the one from the LDD (with LDD colors):

F8NJmKl.png

I am still not sure, if the studs should appear or not. Here is another compare (the LDD file seems to contain not the exact same model):

LJ57151.png

The colors of the triangles are not always the same due to the gradient brushes used in the game.

• Like 3

that looks great. the studs also look great. would it be ipothetically possible to also replace the single building bricks with hi-res versions?

also, give a look at this LDD file.

i tweaked the model and tried to make it as close to the intro cinematic as possible. sadly there are no 1x2 plate wheel holders in LDD, so the front of the car is impossible to reproduce.

but since it looks like the game doesnt need wheel holders, i also included a version with just plates which has the right color scheme.

But I was looking for a technic to make images like that Jimbob made (e.g. here: http://www.rockraide...e-3#entry108478). From the front and in a really good quality. Maybe there is a special technic?

I used to remove the path file of the NPC to have the model stand still (then you can also push it with your car into a certain position if you like). I don't know if that's what Jimbob is also doing.

I am still not sure, if the studs should appear or not.

The studs are just a texture sticked onto the bricks. 

When I hit the PrntScrn button it automatically saves BMPs to the install folder. It works multiple times in one run too.

But I was looking for a technic to make images like that Jimbob made (e.g. here: http://www.rockraide...e-3#entry108478). From the front and in a really good quality. Maybe there is a special technic?

I used to remove the path file of the NPC to have the model stand still (then you can also push it with your car into a certain position if you like). I don't know if that's what Jimbob is also doing.

Yep, I remove the path files of the opponents and run the relevant track in Versus mode (after setting number of opponents to 1) to get keep the car still. The screenshots are taking in first-person view. As for getting it at a high resolution, I followed mumboking's advice >here.

Fluffy Cupcake
I am still not sure, if the studs should appear or not.

Well if you are going for HQ models, I'd say yes, get every detail you can in there!

Quite a few cars in LEGO Racers use pieces that don't exist in real life/LDD (like the front of and green clip/1x2 jumper plate combo on King Kahuka's car), or assemblies that don't quite work in real life/LDD either (like the steering wheel/windshield on Veronica Voltage's car intersecting). Be aware of that when remaking stuff.

would it be ipothetically possible to also replace the single building bricks with hi-res versions?

I do not know. Do you know where and/or how they are stored?

Ah, thank you. I will give that a try.

The screenshots are taking in first-person view.

Thak you, too. I will give that a try, too.

Well if you are going for HQ models, I'd say yes, get every detail you can in there!

At first I thought I will take only the outside and the studs of the LDD parts. But while I was experimenting with the KK car I got an issue with the inverted slope bricks at the back of the car. There I need the inside too. But when I take every detail there will be many polygons for studs that wont be seeable.

Quite a few cars in LEGO Racers use pieces that don't exist in real life/LDD (like the front of and green clip/1x2 jumper plate combo on King Kahuka's car), or assemblies that don't quite work in real life/LDD either (like the steering wheel/windshield on Veronica Voltage's car intersecting). Be aware of that when remaking stuff.

That is really interesting. I did not know that. Are you more interested in models that can be rebuild in real or should the HQ models be more like the ones in the game?

That is really interesting. I did not know that. Are you more interested in models that can be rebuild in real or should the HQ models be more like the ones in the game?

I vote building them like real models. We have digital models for both the bosses and opponents - jamesster posted the bosses somewhere (I can't find them right now, but I guess you've found them already) and I've released instructions for all the standard opponents >here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.