Bvb Files (Collision Meshes?)

dead_name

Man, you have been working like crazy!

Awesome work again! :)

Sorry for asking such a silly question. I see that there's a file called "COLLIDE" in the "TEST" folder. It is recognized as Microsoft Office Access Database on my system. Is it related to these collision meshes in anyway or is it something completely different?

Sorry for asking such a silly question. I see that there's a file called "COLLIDE" in the "TEST" folder. It is recognized as Microsoft Office Access Database on my system. Is it related to these collision meshes in anyway or is it something completely different?

Not a silly question at all. It's picked up as an Access Database because the filename extension is ".MDB". The MDB files in Lego Racers and the format used by MS Access are completely unrelated, it's just a coincidence they share the same extension.

From my (brief) research, the MDB files used in the game are Material listings. They're related with the collision mesh, as they define how particular areas should act. I believe they may have something to do with car slowdown on some surfaces, but I haven't yet looked into the specifics of the format.

I'm sad that the shortcuts are indeed removed, but really glad that you have broken another format! :D

Do you think that these files will ever be able to be modded? If so, they we (along with a GDB converter) could recreate the shortcut ourselves. :D

One more question.

This is a little offtopic.

If by any chance we can make mods for this game, then will it be possible to make a completely new directory for the mod? I mean like in GTA Vice City we need to replace the original files so as to run our own mod in the game. So will the mods for LR1 in the future replace the stock stuff ? Sorry for the bad english.

One more question.

If by any chance we can make mods for this game, then will it be possible to make a completely new directory for the mod? I mean like in GTA Vice City we need to replace the original files so as to run our own mod in the game. So will the mods for LR1 in the future replace the stock stuff ? Sorry for the bad english.

I can answer that. No, there will be no new folders to put mods in. They will be in the same folders that are already there.

You see, LR1 is coded to look in these certain folders for each track and will load the files for the tracks from those folders. If you add a new folder into the .JAM, it (LR1) would not know it was there and you could not load it, if the game even loaded. All games that can be modded, but were not made to be modded, work that way. If they were designed to be modded, then you could create a new folder with a new name, tell the game to use that folder, and you could play the new level. I'm sure the devs of LR1 never expected it to be modded. If they did, it would have been designed waaaaaay different, there would be mods for it all over the place, and furthermore, this entire work origamiguy is doing, and this entire discussion, wouldn't have happened.

One more question.

I can answer that. No, there will be no new folders to put mods in. They will be in the same folders that are already there.

You see, LR1 is coded to look in these certain folders for each track and will load the files for the tracks from those folders. If you add a new folder into the .JAM, it (LR1) would not know it was there and you could not load it, if the game even loaded. All games that can be modded, but were not made to be modded, work that way. If they were designed to be modded, then you could create a new folder with a new name, tell the game to use that folder, and you could play the new level. I'm sure the devs of LR1 never expected it to be modded. If they did, it would have been designed waaaaaay different, there would be mods for it all over the place, and furthermore, this entire work origamiguy is doing, and this entire discussion, wouldn't have happened.

Actually, it's not completely impossible. It might be possible to create a launcher that hooks the executable's LoadFile call and redirects it somewhere else. I'll look into it.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Three questions:

1. Do the different colors of polygons in the Knightmare-athon have any significance?

2. In the test track mesh, are those 2 huge triangles drawn over the top to keep people from going out the top?

3. Do we know for absolute certain that there isn't a file that tells the game what all the folders it needs to look for levels are? Just wondering.

Fluffy Cupcake
It might be possible to create a launcher that hooks the executable's LoadFile call and redirects it somewhere else. I'll look into it.
I've actually seen that done with another game before, load new content from another dirrectory, so it wouldn't suprise me if it was possible.

Three questions:

1. Do the different colors of polygons in the Knightmare-athon have any significance?

2. In the test track mesh, are those 2 huge triangles drawn over the top to keep people from going out the top?

3. Do we know for absolute certain that there isn't a file that tells the game what all the folders it needs to look for levels are? Just wondering.

1. Yeah. Basically, for whatever reason, materials have a color assigned to them. Since collision meshes use material listings (presumably for the sake of friction on various surfaces), I figured I might as well color them. I might re-render the test track in a similar fashion.

Plus it makes it look more awesome.

2. Yup, probably.

3. If there is, we haven't found it yet.

• 3 years later...

In another thread there was a discussion about the bvb files (I do not know why). Since I did a little more research on them I think the content should be referenced here:

I've got a conundrum. I can't figure out exactly how the K_8E section of .BVB files work. The binary editor gives a readout of it which seems glitched

I had a first look at the .BVB files. I looked into two COLLIDE files. There are vertices without additional information and triangles with additional information. I was able to create the following images with the data from the 34 and the 2d sections:

NkBm153.png

The test track

HoRRG0q.png

The 8e section fills the rest of the file. It looks like the Binary Editor could not handle dynamic (unknown) structures.

I am not able to interprete the content of the 8e section yet. There are always a variable number of integers followed by 4 shorts (except the last group of integers). Here is an extract from the TESTCOLLIDE.BVB

Please remember:

0x04 is an integer

0x17 is a struct that was defined in this file

0x14 is an array with 0x__ 0x__ entries of type 0x__

[...]

I have no idea what this file format should be except confusing. I am still not able to interprete the content of the 8e section but it looks like there are always 7 numbers that belong together. I wrote a small test where I counted the numbers of the 8e section (ignoring the type) and the result was always the same like the number in the [] brackets multiplied by 7. Here is a new visualisation of the 8e section of the TESTCOLLIDE.BVB file: Spoiler I also had a look in the CHCKPT00.BVB files. They contain checkpoints of the track (I will upload an image tomorrow). The test track has no checkpoints ;-).

I had a closer look at the k_8e section. And the data in that section also seems to describe a tree (I have no idea why!). 7 numbers per node:

pointer to left child (when -1 no left child)

pointer to right child (when -2 no right child)

x

y

z

offset triangles

number of triangles

x, y and z are mostly really big numbers (between 0x40000000 and 0xC0000000 (=-0x40000000)). When you divide them by 0x40000000 you will get a normalized 3d vector. I think it is something like a normal or here a colliding direction(?). I changed the values to RGB and got the following image for the test track:

eDUM8Wh.png

I already have a working replacemant (a simple box). I am not falling through the ground but I am falling over the edge :-(. Maybe it is because of the tree!?!

• Like 5

lol username

Is that last render of the test track collision supposed to have the track upside down (would the view be blocked by the... uh, "ceiling" collision if it were facing up)?

Is that last render of the test track collision supposed to have the track upside down

No I rotated it. The render from the previous quote is mirrored. I am sorry for the confusion.

x, y and z are mostly really big numbers (between 0x40000000 and 0xC0000000 (=-0x40000000)). When you divide them by 0x40000000 you will get a normalized 3d vector. I think it is something like a normal or here a colliding direction(?).

I was wrong. Connected to the triangles of the node we have once again a plane that divides the track (here the colliding infos) into to sections. If the car is on the one side go to the left node otherwise go to the right node. If you reeach a -1 there is no colliding of you reach a -2 there is an error. It is the same in the checkpoint files. But there you will have to be very carefull. As far as I can tell now the planes have to be defined so that they will not cut one of the remaining checkpoints! Is there still someone who would like to crate a custom race track?

Maybe it is because of the tree!?!

Yes because of the tree. Here is a screenshot of the first version of a CUSTOM TEST TRACK! It is only a plane where you cannot fall of.

NK3AFsH.png

I just replaced the main file of the test track, so that you can still see the environment of the original track.

• Like 8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.