Drome Racers Completely Portable (Including Saving)

JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder

First of all, if your copy of Drome requires the CD then it's likely that it also requires it be installed. If this is the case for your copy of the game, it's won't be completely portable. My versions runs without the CD.

Ok, so first of all (assuming you have a no-disk version), Drome Racers works perfectly running from an external hard drive (without installing it!). However, because it saves your progress to a folder in your My Documents folder, while the game is portable, your save files are not. To work around this, I have created a batch file that will adjust the location it saves to. Here is the code I have used:

@ECHO OFF

set USERPROFILE=%CD%\save

start "" "Drome Racers.exe"

exit
All you need to do is save that text in a text file named PLAY.bat or anything you prefer with the .bat file extension in the folder with Drome Racers.exe. For those interested in exactly what it does, it changes where the batch file (and any programs it starts) looks for your user profile location to a subfolder named "save" so that instead of saving to your My Documents folder, it will save to same folder as the game. You can also add parameters like the window mode parameter like so:
@ECHO OFF

set USERPROFILE=%CD%\save

start "" "Drome Racers.exe" /windowed

exit

This will probably also work for LEGO Racers 2, but as all copies require the CD (AFAIK), I haven't tried it.

Wow. First LR1, now DR? Awesome! :D Too bad I don't have the game. I want to mod the music so badly! (I've been told so many times it's the same as LR2, but nobody cares to prove it.)

Actually, I believe Jamesster's copy of LR2 runs disc-less. He had the one that came as a LR1/2 pack. I saw it as OfficeMax so many times, but when I went to buy it, it was gone. And they did that same thing with the LI1/2 and Creator/LEGOLAND packs before Christmas. If you can get him to test it, perhaps LR2 runs portable as well. I would do it, but my copy requiers the disc. (I have an ISO, but I don't know of any portable ISO mounters. :()

JrMasterModelBuilder

Wow. First LR1, now DR? Awesome! :D Too bad I don't have the game. I want to mod the music so badly! (I've been told so many times it's the same as LR2, but nobody cares to prove it.)

Actually, I believe Jamesster's copy of LR2 runs disc-less. He had the one that came as a LR1/2 pack. I saw it as OfficeMax so many times, but when I went to buy it, it was gone. And they did that same thing with the LI1/2 and Creator/LEGOLAND packs before Christmas. If you can get him to test it, perhaps LR2 runs portable as well. I would do it, but my copy requiers the disc. (I have an ISO, but I don't know of any portable ISO mounters. :()

I just tested replacing the menu music of Drome with LR2, and it worked. I heard the menu music from LR2, so it must be the same format.

I got mine from eBay. They tend to have the old LEGO games cheap. I haven't tested it on LEGO Racers 2 as there's not much point if I need the CD and an install anyway.

I don't think a portable ISO mounter would be possible as I'm pretty sure it's necessary to install drivers on the system.

me-gusta.jpg

I will be doing this for sure. My friend installed a no CD version of Drome Racers on my laptop, and I later purchased a version that DOES need a CD and installed that on my desktop. As far as I know there's no discless versions of LR2, but it's possible...

JrMasterModelBuilder

me-gusta.jpg

I will be doing this for sure. My friend installed a no CD version of Drome Racers on my laptop, and I later purchased a version that DOES need a CD and installed that on my desktop. As far as I know there's no discless versions of LR2, but it's possible...

Since you have both could you do a file comparison to find which of the game files is different? (If you open 2 files in HxD and hit Ctrl + K you can compare them.) Then we might know what maked LEGO Racers 2 require the CD.

• 6 years later...
On 1/15/2012 at 10:39 PM, Terrev said:

me-gusta.jpg

LR2 does have a discless version. I have lost both copies of the game and managed to find a download online and it works like a charm without the disc :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.