Lr2 Car Modding

le717

"On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me..."

I really can't sing that song, because there are only 3 more days until Christmas. So, I will sing this:

"On the only day of Christmas two members give to you, a new LEGO Racers 2 mod!"

No, I don't know how to extract the .GTC yet. I want that just as bad as you do.

First, if you did not read the blog post I wrote on a small part of this, read it before continuing.

http://www.rockraide...-i-am-confused/

I will pick off where I left off on the blog post.

With the help of JrMasterModelBuilder, I have been able to change not only what car I can race in, even if I have not unlocked it yet, but also an opponents car! More info after the video:

This was achieved by using the only way to mod LR2 (at this writing), which is to use a Hex editor and to swap model pointers in FILELIST.INF. Examples can be found in this forum area. I will not explain everything. As I said, read my blog post for more info.

What I did in the video above was change Workman Fred's digger to Rocket Racer's car, and make myself have the same car. I do need to explain something about this.

Even if you mod FILELIST.INF to make yourself have a different car, you will still have the car you chose when you started your game save. It seems that your game save saves the car configuration in it, and will use that even if you mod FILELIST.INF. JMMB has pretty much confirmed this in the test that he ran. Transcript follows.

I replaced the digger (CCD) pointer with the rocket racer (CCD [i bet that stands for Car Creator Data?]) pointer and started a new adventure. I chose the rocket racer car in the car builder (I didn't see any digger BTW) and went to race and both of our cars were RR's. I then tried putting back the original FILELIST.INF and my own car stayed RR's but the digger was back. So I guess that confirms that the save file stores your car part configuration or something like that.

So, if you want to have a different car to race as, you will need to mod FILELIST, and create a new save. As stated above, you then can put back an un-modded FILELIST and you will have your car still.

There is another part to this, though. Every time I changed the digger's pointer to RR's car pointer, I got RR's car, but Fred still had his digger. But when I used his modified INF file, it did what I wanted it to do. JMMB asked me to compare the bytes of the modded area of his file to my file from the disc, and JMMB, the bytes are the same. It's just that when I copied the pointer from Rocket Racer, the digger was the digger, but when I copied the Chill pointer, the digger was RR's car. So, there seems to be a little trial and error involved in this. That, or I am doing something extremely wrong. :P

Anyway, if you want to do this yourself, here is the direct link to JrMasterModelBuilder's INF file.

http://www.brickshel...er/filelist.inf

If you want to change it yourself, I'm sure you would know how to do it. I've seen that people around here are very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. ;) If I tried to explain it, I would be corrected by half the members here for not explaining it right or using the wrong words or terms. :P

So, enjoy your early Christmas present, and please mod responsibly. :P

There is another part to this, though. Every time I changed the digger's pointer to RR's car pointer, I got RR's car, but Fred still had his digger. But when I used his modified INF file, it did what I wanted it to do.

This is because there are multiple diggers (I think), or ur doing it wrong. With the cheat engine, u can change player 2 into Fred, and he will always have the digger car. Whatever world u race on. Which means, that Fred is 'stuck' in the digger.

All playable characters are 'stuck' in their own car, exept for: The Players, Sparky, Cassiopea, Miss Pippin Reed, Mr. Cunningham, Cathead, Super Harry, Mac and Johnney Thunder. This is because they must have different cars in different worlds.

What I have done, is changing the character textures and models. I put a video up in a few days. Like, as example, having Rocket Racer's parts selectable in Character Builder.

Kaj

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what the extensions for your custom cars that you make in car builder are? :gasp:

Because if we knew their extensions we could point the pointer to one of the custom cars so that we don't get rid of the normal ones. :lol:

If you knew the extension it would be very helpful. (a exension is like this GAME DATACAR BUILDERSANDYPOLICE CAR.CCD and is found in the filelist file) :S

@Modded Lego

It seems that your game save saves the car configuration in it,

Translation: your game save for LR2 contains your custom car. If you create a custom car then move your game save to a different computer, you will still have your custom car. So we could not move the pointer to a custom car because the pointers must stay in GAMEDATA.GTC. Plus, as far as I know), you can't have two cars at once. You can change cars once, but you can't have a stock car and a custom car at the same time. It's one or the other.

• Like 1

As far as I know, there is no way to edit the save game expect with a hex editor. But the save file contains so little data that it would be really hard to mod it.

The only way we can edit gamedata.gtc is via filelist.inf with an hex editor. And the only thing we can do is move pointers within filelist.inf to other items withing the .gtc (swapping textures, cars, and such). Until we get a extractor, we won't be able to mod any other way.

• Like 1

JrMasterModelBuilder

The save file is a complex thing. It has mystery progress variables and also contains your cars. What would be cool is some way to transplant car data from modded adventure cars like RR's into your save file as a regular custom car to ulock them all, but I have no idea how to do that.

The GAMEDATA.GTC is more complex and compressed by unknown methods, preventing us from making an extractor (but other than that, I've figured out the file format). (If anyone wants to give it a wack, I'm pretty sure the first file listed in FILELIST.INF of Drome is that first chunk of binary data in the Drome GAMEDATA.GTC and that file is a text file.)

• Like 1

Yup, I knew the save game was complex. :P

So, what is the file format of the .gtc? That would be interesting to know. And for whatever posessed Segetendo to do this, I'll never know, but he imported the LR2 .gtc into Audacity and we know the format of the audio in it. (I so badly want to change the talking!)

JrMasterModelBuilder

So, what is the file format of the .gtc? That would be interesting to know.

That's all I know about it. Chunks of compessed file bytes sepperated by chunks of null bytes.

And for whatever posessed Segetendo to do this, I'll never know, but he imported the LR2 .gtc into Audacity and we know the format of the audio in it. (I so badly want to change the talking!)

What?!? . . . How well did that work, and what format is that? I guess because audio files have extreamly low recuring bytes, they might be in there almost to completely uncompressed.

Isn't there a way to insert code from the FILELIST to your savegame so that you could have the secret cars? O_O

Because if it was the same format we could do that. :right: :af:

@JMMB *facepalm* I've seen that topic so many times, yet when I ask about it, I don't think about it.

As for the audio, I also mentioned this on the archive format page. ;)

@Modded Lego No. There is no way to do that. If there was, we would know about it already.

• Like 1

Ok thank you for answering my qustions guys. :B

hopefully we will get a extractor for the GAMEDATA.GTC. :love::whistle::love:

and find out more about the save files. :zzz:

Sorry for being a newbie. 8S

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.