Rocket Racers

Olivus Prime

MinifigRenderer

Knew it was gonna be too much to ask for. I'm gonna look into trying to create a version of the ride using a rollcage engine

52 minutes ago, legoman99 said:

That's what I mean to do

I don't think you understand. You'd need the source code. You can't get the source code. End.

• 3 weeks later...
MinifigRenderer

Hi Terrev do you have still have the videos from the queueline? Would you be able to share them with me on Google drive? Thanks legoman99.

Edited by legoman99

• 1 month later...
MinifigRenderer

I have an anonymous tip stating that all the cars and programs for rocket racers have been salvaged and are in storage at LEGOLAND Windsor.

Okay, before people get washed over with excitement, who said/stated this?

...or rather, why should we trust this info/the person who said this?

I apologise for being stern, but after the LRR2 fiasco(s)  I'd rather be on the safe side before I can trust your 'annonymous tip'.

• Like 4

Yeah I'm with Ben on this. Given past fiascos on here (one about that unreleased bionicle game springs to mind), I'm not gonna believe any "anonymous tip" without hard evidence.

3 hours ago, legoman99 said:

I have an anonymous tip stating that all the cars and programs for rocket racers have been salvaged and are in storage at LEGOLAND Windsor.

I'm rather divided on whether to believe this or not.

On one hand, hiring trucks to transport around 24 identical racing pods to the tip would cost Merlin a lot more money than if they just shuffled them elsewhere on-site, and we all know how much Merlin loves saving money. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they took the TVs off the cars and used them in their hotel rooms since that's a very Merlin-y thing to do.

On the other hand... where would you store 24 rather hefty racing pods? They can't exactly re-use them elsewhere in the park and last time I looked they were pretty big, so you'd need a rather big warehouse to put 'em. I could see 'em keeping five or six, but all of them? I heavily doubt it.

As for the software... yeah, it's pretty likely that they've got it lying around somewhere on a spare USB. A better question to ask is "Will we ever get hold of said software so we can fiddle about with it?", and the answer to that is... no, probably not. At the moment they won't even let us upload music from the ride to YouTube, so the idea of 'em literally just giving us the source code on a silver platter is pretty much outta the question. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, legoman99 said:

I hope this is true. It would be a shame for them to be lost forever.

It was made by ATD (before they even made LEGO Racers 2) and as far as I can tell all that directly came from LEGO Racers were some textures (which were also used in LR2 - fun fact, the Postman's face textures are just edited Slyboots textures from LR1). It had a re-creation of Magma Moon Marathon and also a desert track that didn't specifically match anything from LR1.

MinifigRenderer

in the back lot of the 4d theatre. and your anonymous tipper is actually me. its also got james mays lego  house bricks and the tires that made up the entrance to rocket racers.

and the TV's are used around the park on various rides. plus three of the touch screens remain in the star wars miniland experience.

18 hours ago, legoman99 said:

in the back lot of the 4d theatre. and your anonymous tipper is actually me. its also got james mays lego  house bricks and the tires that made up the entrance to rocket racers.

and the TV's are used around the park on various rides. plus three of the touch screens remain in the star wars miniland experience.

Are you a JHU alt?

Just.... asking.....

l405G.jpg

Fluffy Cupcake
49 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Are you a JHU alt?

Just.... asking.....

l405G.jpg

The account was created 2 years before Jhuy. So not likely, but who knows.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can actually confirm that "rumour" about Rocket Racers being in storage. I was the one who found the 2010 queueline video for Rocket Racers on an employee's FaceBook account and re-edited it to recreate the 2000 version, and I was in negotiations with that same employee to receive the original videos at full resolution, but unfortunately this fell through, I suspect due to the low-res versions being uploaded to (and taken down from) YouTube.

Apparently most of the attraction was put into storage behind the Imagination Theatre with the intention of potentially using it in future for events or other purposes - a unit was very close to being installed in the LEGOLAND Hotel or Laser Raiders queueline without the character/car building section, but this fell through.

Considering how the LEGOLAND parks are run now, I'd say it's unlikely that the ride will ever resurface. Interestingly it seems the decision to remove it was more of a political decision within staff, rather than one solely based upon outdated tech.

51 minutes ago, Olivus Prime said:

Apparently most of the attraction was put into storage behind the Imagination Theatre with the intention of potentially using it in future for events or other purposes - a unit was very close to being installed in the LEGOLAND Hotel or Laser Raiders queueline without the character/car building section, but this fell through.

What we need is an employee to snap a photo of the parts to prove they still exist.

1 minute ago, mumboking said:

What we need is an employee to snap a photo of the parts to prove they still exist.

Understood, but for privacy reasons (and considering what has happened so far regarding the videos and LEGO's standing on them) I've ceased communication with this particular employee, so solid proof will have to be considered a Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster scenario.

26 minutes ago, Olivus Prime said:

Considering how the LEGOLAND parks are run now, I'd say it's unlikely that the ride will ever resurface. Interestingly it seems the decision to remove it was more of a political decision within staff, rather than one solely based upon outdated tech.

I wouldn't be surprised - Rocket Racers was replaced with a Star Wars Miniland in 2012, so I'd imagine that the park would've been under a lotta pressure from Merlin and Lucasfilm to get their star wars stuff in ASAP. 

1 minute ago, Ayliffe said:

I wouldn't be surprised - Rocket Racers was replaced with a Star Wars Miniland in 2012, so I'd imagine that the park would've been under a lotta pressure from Merlin and Lucasfilm to get their star wars stuff in ASAP. 

That's a good point, but what I meant was that Rocket Racers met the fate that it did because the staff maintaining it were mismanaged.

From what I've been told the ride maintenance team that perform park-wide work weren't necessitated to maintain it (seeing as it wasn't really a ride) and thus it was down to the operations team in charge of the ride (who understandably don't have the same level of time and money). As time went on, shifts in positions (i.e. ride ops with experience in maintaining the ride being moved to ride maintenance, and thus no longer being able to work on RR) and poor management meant that it didn't get the attention it needed, which was a huge shame, since those in the know knew it wasn't a difficult ride to fix.

Interestingly enough, it's only taken 16 years for Disney to pick up upon the concept of a competitive racing simulator (if one doesn't count the similar attractions found at DisneyQuest), as the current rumour is that a Wreck-It Ralph racing simulator with VR will be replacing Stitch's Great Escape at Magic Kingdom:

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20160921/32195/it-s-end-line-stitch-s-great-escape

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Olivus Prime said:

and I was in negotiations with that same employee to receive the original videos at full resolution, but unfortunately this fell through, I suspect due to the low-res versions being uploaded to (and taken down from) YouTube.

Just pointing out that you originally sent those videos in late January, they weren't uploaded until mid April, and they weren't "taken down" until mid June (LEGOLAND never did take them down; they're still just set on private by me). Last I'd heard (a day after you sent the videos), you said the guy had told you he was going to try to find HD versions - which was followed by months of silence. So the impression I got was that the guy was totally willing to send HD versions if he found them - and, after months had passed, that he hadn't. So I'm a bit confused by you now saying "negotiations to receive" them fell through, especially if you're suspecting the cause is something that happened almost half a year later. Could you clarify?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terrev said:

Just pointing out that you originally sent those videos in late January, they weren't uploaded until mid April, and they weren't "taken down" until mid June (LEGOLAND never did take them down; they're still just set on private by me). Last I'd heard (a day after you sent the videos), you said the guy had told you he was going to try to find HD versions - which was followed by months of silence. So the impression I got was that the guy was totally willing to send HD versions if he found them - and, after months had passed, that he hadn't. So I'm a bit confused by you now saying "negotiations to receive" them fell through, especially if you're suspecting the cause is something that happened almost half a year later. Could you clarify?

It was a very slow process for whatever reason, as they had to bring it up with the entertainments team (who aren't really related to their position at all) who then apparently had to really dig to find the videos as they had "been in storage for years", not to mention they were wary about just handing them out to a random fan. This was in March and when I messaged them after a long period of silence in September, they bluntly said that I had to contact someone more directly related to the ride.

I've yet to contact said person, but the impression I get is that entertainments were looking for it when the videos were taken down from YouTube and were told to leave the matter to more authoritative figures lest something like that happen again, I may be wrong. I'm not blaming you per say as I should have been more explicit about them being sensitive material (I originally intended for them to be distributed in private, hence why I didn't upload them to YouTube myself), but equally a heads up would have been nice.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.