Rock Raiders: Source

codsniper

I could help with beta testing and some music. I've been itching to beta test something ever since Trackmania 2 and Minecraft went full release, and I have a good grasp of working with MIDI.

Also, your download link isn't working.

I havent looked at the site in awhile

Also I need to make that SVN work

I am going to start creating the maps from the original game into basic maps.

If i could say something.... is it really necessary to copy the game ? I mean every body who will play RR : Source have already finish the first game...

Maybe change a little bit the story could be more fun, this is just what I think, after you creat the mod, it is your choice.

I think you should change some machines, we didnt use all of them but just a part of them... maybe changing the way to use them could be welcome ^^

I mean that some vehicules should be able to do more things with some updates or something like that.

I don't know if that can help you or not but it's just make exactly the same game under the source engine is maybe a good idea but make the game from the original and create a funnier one should be better

If i could say something.... is it really necessary to copy the game ? I mean every body who will play RR : Source have already finish the first game...

Maybe change a little bit the story could be more fun, this is just what I think, after you creat the mod, it is your choice.

I think you should change some machines, we didnt use all of them but just a part of them... maybe changing the way to use them could be welcome ^^

I mean that some vehicules should be able to do more things with some updates or something like that.

I don't know if that can help you or not but it's just make exactly the same game under the source engine is maybe a good idea but make the game from the original and create a funnier one should be better

I'll take that into account before releasing the final version

I am going to start creating the maps from the original game into basic maps.

Alright, cool. Send them to me once you're finished, and I'll add the rest (lights, fog, water, props, whatever)

Alright, cool. Send them to me once you're finished, and I'll add the rest (lights, fog, water, props, whatever)

Use the contact at the bottom of the webpage so I can email you them

BTW, are we making an first person shooter game (like Half Life 2) or a 3rd person/top down shooter (like Alien Swarm)?

I don't know, I was planning on a FPS because I do not know how hard a 3rd person would be

BTW, are we making an first person shooter game (like Half Life 2) or a 3rd person/top down shooter (like Alien Swarm)?

I don't know, I was planning on a FPS because I do not know how hard a 3rd person would be

Yeah, I was also thinking FPS. That's what I've been working on for the past few months...

With a little extra LUA coding you could make it an RTS. I've seen a gamemode for Garry's Mod called Resource Wars that changes the game into a Real Time Stratagy game featuring melons as basic units.

With a little extra LUA coding you could make it an RTS. I've seen a gamemode for Garry's Mod called Resource Wars that changes the game into a Real Time Stratagy game featuring melons as basic units.

We could do that too, but we already have assets that are meant for FPS so we'd have to rework some things

Also It'd be hard to zoom out, as the cavern height is 256 Units

• 2 weeks later...

What is this game compatible with?

if Portal and/or portal 2 are a yes YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH if not then well...

I could also TRY to make maps cause i am fairlly experianced in hammer but don't expect too much from me ;)

What is this game compatible with?

if Portal and/or portal 2 are a yes YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH if not then well...

I could also TRY to make maps cause i am fairlly experianced in hammer but don't expect too much from me ;)

It is a Source 2007 Mod HL2/EP1/EP2

Portal probably but defiantly not Portal 2, that a different engine version

Portal 2 uses the source engine, buddy. It just uses the latest version of it.

I COULD possibly help, but this seems like a disaster waiting to happen... If I were you I would learn C++ and advanced mapping before, you know, making a video game. But what do I know, right? I only have an advanced understanding of java game development.

Problems with rock raiders source:

1. Last source mod I heard of that wasn't HL2 based crashed and burned. HARD.
  2. I know C++, but I hate it and never want to use it again. JK, but it is really annoying compared to java IMO.
  3. I have been using Source SDK since it was introduced, and I am pretty good with it. However rockraiders has terrain alteration. This needs an engine overhaul, not just mapping and modelling with some weapon and NPC coding.
  4. Source engine is 3D. If I'm not mistaken, rockraiders is 2.5D with 3D models(from what I've seen with the level editing programs) Once again, this requires some crazy engine overhauling.
  5. The walls can change when mined to connect with other walls. I've tried doing a similar effect with hammer, but for it to look good I had to do some crazy s^&$ with brushes and built in entities, and that lead to the map being half a gigabyte just for it to even slightly represent the mining in rockraiders(I could have coded custom entities, but see reason 2)
  6. NPC navigation would be extremely difficult. You may end up with unsavory effects, like rock monsters glitching out of the map or rockraiders to kill themselves by walking into lava. if there is a surface, the NPC will try to use it if it is a possible route. Don't ask why, but you could end up with raiders wandering halfway through a lava lake and killing themselves just to grab a crystal.
  7. The building placement, how do you plan on executing that? I assume using entities would nullify this question, as you could use them as targets for the buildings.
  8. I may be mistaken, but you guys don't seem to have any C++ coders yet. So may I suggest reading "heads first C++"?

Yeah, I think I'm done here. I wish you the best of luck, as this seems like a huge project.

Portal 2 uses the source engine, buddy. It just uses the latest version of it.

I COULD possibly help, but this seems like a disaster waiting to happen... If I were you I would learn C++ and advanced mapping before, you know, making a video game. But what do I know, right? I only have an advanced understanding of java game development.

Problems with rock raiders source:

1. Last source mod I heard of that wasn't HL2 based crashed and burned. HARD.
  2. I know C++, but I hate it and never want to use it again. JK, but it is really annoying compared to java IMO.
  3. I have been using Source SDK since it was introduced, and I am pretty good with it. However rockraiders has terrain alteration. This needs an engine overhaul, not just mapping and modelling with some weapon and NPC coding.
  4. Source engine is 3D. If I'm not mistaken, rockraiders is 2.5D with 3D models(from what I've seen with the level editing programs) Once again, this requires some crazy engine overhauling.
  5. The walls can change when mined to connect with other walls. I've tried doing a similar effect with hammer, but for it to look good I had to do some crazy s^&$ with brushes and built in entities, and that lead to the map being half a gigabyte just for it to even slightly represent the mining in rockraiders(I could have coded custom entities, but see reason 2)
  6. NPC navigation would be extremely difficult. You may end up with unsavory effects, like rock monsters glitching out of the map or rockraiders to kill themselves by walking into lava. if there is a surface, the NPC will try to use it if it is a possible route. Don't ask why, but you could end up with raiders wandering halfway through a lava lake and killing themselves just to grab a crystal.
  7. The building placement, how do you plan on executing that? I assume using entities would nullify this question, as you could use them as targets for the buildings.
  8. I may be mistaken, but you guys don't seem to have any C++ coders yet. So may I suggest reading "heads first C++"?

Yeah, I think I'm done here. I wish you the best of luck, as this seems like a huge project.

We are not trying to remake LRR in Source...

We're trying making a Rock Raiders FPS in Source. We'd be glad if you helped us with coding.

You guys cannot get my help until you learn C++. After all, what would you learn if you had somebody else do all the hard work for you?

So we need to learn C++ so we can have someone who already knows C++ to do our work?

I might as well do all the C++ myself If I'm going to learn it.

i've just created an account to say that i support this awesome mod idea!!

i hope it will pull trough, i love good mining games :af:

and i always wished for a new lego rock raiders game or something very very similar

i also want to pay hard cash for games like this too bad you guys can't ask for money

keep up the good work! :bandit:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.