Regroup

Retsnom Kcor

This is my first second created level. It was intended to be a sort of update of "Split Down the Middle," so it's pretty similar. Any issues with it, just tell me.

Map Name: Regroup

Back Story: A volcano has erupted destroying Rock Raiders HQ. The eruption also caused several cave-ins, trapping nine Rock Raiders. Get the Rock Raiders together at the Tool Store and collect 25 energy crystals.

Map Objective: Same as "Split Down the Middle"

Difficulty: Medium

Download Link: http://rrubucket.s3....roup_590621.zip

Notes:

1. This isn't very difficult, but it might take a bit of time to complete.

2. Put the files in for Level 16 (Split Down the Middle) in the cfg.

3. Just use the same npl file from Split Down the Middle. I based this level off of those objectives, so it works out.

gallery_139_214_64273.png

• Like 1

does the download contain an texture pack becouse ice and lava in the same biome is kinda... wierd :l

No, Lava has always been part of the Ice Biome; it's hardcoded that it needed it.

• 6 months later...
OvenTrooper

Woah. This looks like a mod of Lake of Fire I did with Ice textures. Will give it a go; I recently got 100 on Split Down The Middle, so this should be a cakewalk.

• 6 years later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Granted, this is a very old map; but there are some major problems with this thing that need to be addressed.

First off, it can be pretty difficult to even find your Raiders sometimes.  Second is noticeable immediately at the start of the map: the lava doesn't budge.  There was an erosion map made but in order for it to work, you must have the erosion lines present in this map's cfg entry.  So that was a strike out the gates.

Third is the dugg map.  Having so much open space wreaks havoc with this game's pathfinding, not to mention there is a chance it will crash because of a problem with the way pockets of uncovered caves get handled.  

Fourth is this map's size.  I mean, it's so massive it makes the map creator or GeoTool lag.  Ditto for in-game once you reach the Tool Store (assuming you can get that far).

Fifth is the rubble.  For your own sake, turn off this priority for this map.  Otherwise have fun trying to do anything.

Sixth is probably the biggest problem with this map next to the rubble clearing: monsters.  The emerge placements work very effectively against you (like they should) but the problem here is that because everything is so spread out, you have almost no chance to avoid getting your base wrecked.  Let me explain: because there is a random Upgrade Station shoved into a cavern near the beginning of the labyrinth, some of the monsters will path to it.  Your Raiders will dutifully ignore the ones approaching your base and will seek out the monsters who are out in the middle of nowhere.  Your best bet is to curl into the fetal position and cry at this point.  Unless you get absurdly lucky and all the monsters go for the cannon fodder building.  Then you can micro-manage your men in time to get some fences up.

I think overall this map is way too big to be playable at a non-frustrating level, and needs a makeover to be considered good.  The map has some elements I like, but it just does not put them together particularly well.

Again, this is an old map, and probably would have come out far better if it was done with the current tools.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.