The Algorithm

Yourself

Map Name: The Algorithm

Back Story: We have established the Rock Raider HQ in a safe cavern rich in ore, but containing no Energy Crystals. Scanners aboard the LMS Explorer show a cavern exceptionally rich in Crystals North of the HQ; however, there seems to be no direct path to it. Find a way to reach it, and then collect fifty energy crystals. We know of the presence of Monsters in surrounding caverns; be on your guard, for if they manage to steal an Energy Crystal, it could well make the goal inachievable.

Map Objective: Collect 50 Crystals

Difficulty: Medium/Hard

Download link: Download / Download PatchMan Version

Instructions:

• Put the Level03 folder in the downloaded zip file in the Rock Raiders/Data/Levels/GameLevels folder.
  • Paste the included configuration text into the Level03 spot of the LEGO.cfg file.
  • Start a new game or load an existing game. The level should appear on the right-hand side. The level is quite a bit more challenging, but still possible, if your raiders start unupgraded.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well, not finished playing it. I played it while doing tests for Patchman... and yea I ran out of oxygen first time round :P So I still have to play it properly yet. I did notice a spelling error though, you said "though" instead of "tough" in the fail text.

Anyway the important thing is I wrote you a Patchman Script to patch in your level and added it to your download.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

BUNPing after a looong time to say that I WILL finish this LP, I was just worn out and didn't feel like screwing around with oversea bases. Everyone Panic! still seems impossible, though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations! Thanks for reviewing. I will take into account the comment about heightmaps if I make any other maps.

Interestingly, your solution to the puzzle on the island wasn't the intended solution

I did not know it was possible to carry dynamite in a Rapid Rider. Good find!

The intended solution:

Build a mining laser (this takes only 1 crystal) and use it to shoot the loose rock to the North (recharge it at the recharge seam). Then you can get additional crystals in the northern cave to build a transport ship and a small driller to drill the hard rock near the lake.

About the crystals in the wall: they are probably remnants from earlier versions. I might have had those crystals in drillable rock once, but then changed it to solid rock and didn't bother to remove the crystals.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Nice to see some feedback on this map; might as well post a review too.

Tricky is probably the best word to describe the level.  Right from the beginning I figured out quickly that you need to have your thinking cap on or you will be in for a rough ride.  Since the Ore Refinery is a required building for the Docks in my mod, I had to be a bit creative with the three spare crystals you get at the start ;).  

Surprisingly Idleness Syndrome kicks in almost immediately in this level but disappears after moving the base across the river.  Apart from that, it was mostly smooth sailing (pardon the pun).

Of course I expected the monsters, but I was completely caught off guard by the -covers mouth-.  Should have seen it coming.  

In my mod, I am forced to use the Rapid Rider method as the Mining Laser has too many prerequisites to be feasible with so few crystals by that point.  Thankfully that wall near the island is only one thick so even if my Raider got blown up I could still function with the new cave being opened up.  Fun fact: using dynamite this way is almost guaranteed to kill your Raider because he picks it up after putting it down.  This is about as bad as when Raiders try shoveling lava....

After all that base moving and monster dodging, I kind of felt there was a big finale coming.  So, I lined up my heavy artillery, blew down the gates around the crystal cache, and charged in.  Then my Raiders ran for their lives as the fury of Planet U came in full force to meet my fleet.  It was quite an explosive ending to a level that seemed to build with tension the longer it went on. 

Overall, I love the map.  Gave me a real challenge; something I haven't had in a while with this game.  The detailed design of the map is amazing, especially when you take into account the gameplay elements.  

Only thing that I saw as an issue was in the objective text, which was already pointed out by Cyrem.

Regardless, excellent job on this level Yourself!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.