LEGO Racers 2 Custom Music

le717

LEGO Racers 2 Custom Music Tutorial

History

I received

LEGO Racers 2 from a friend on October 17, 2011, who said that I should play it. The morning of October 18, I installed the game on a computer. That afternoon, I was ready to have some fun. But not in the way LEGO would want me. They would want me to race, build a car and minifig, and try to beat Rocket Racer. But I had some other kind of fun in mind: modding the music.

The music in the game files have numbers as extensions (.1, .2 ,.3 etc.). But, I had done my homework. I had found out that the files were just

.WAV files with a different extension (just like the LEGO Racers music).

I ran the main menu music through FFmpeg, and it told me exactly the file format, the codec, and the hertz. I then loaded a piece of music into Audacity (my favorite audio editor/converter), and sure enough, it imported. But this story is not over yet.

After a couple of failed tries to change the music, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was converting the music into the right format, but I had the hertz wrong. Unlike LR, LR2 does not even play the music if it is wrong. LR plays it, but it does it either really slow or really fast

(depending on the hertz).

I re-sampled the music and converted it, and after a file name mix-up, I had done it. I had changed the music for LEGO Racers 2! :D

Requirements

• LEGO Racers 2 or LEGO Drome Racers, since this tutorial works in both. However, I will be using LEGO Racers 2 for the tutorial.
  • The newest release of Audacity (I am doing these steps on Windows, other platforms should be similar). You can use any other audio editor as long as it supports the required file format.
  • List of sound file names you want to change.
  • Some sounds to serve as replacements for the originals.

Got everything? Then it's time to start modding!

Directions

• Find a piece of music that want in-game and import it into Audacity.
  • For this step, you get to choose which action to take. The original game music uses 22050 Hz audio, but the engine also supports 44100 Hz audio, which allows for your music to be of higher quality. If you want to recreate the original audio format exactly or your audio is not already 22050 or 44100 Hz, follow the steps below, substituting your desired value. Otherwise, if your audio is already in one of those frequencies, skip down to step 4.
    • Change the Project Hertz (Hz) drop down menu from 44100 to 22050.

Select all your audio (<Ctrl + a>), go to Tracks>Resample, select 22050 in the resulting dialog, and press OK.

lr2-custom-sfx-stereo-to-mono.png

• When that is done, click File>Export and select Other uncompressed files from the Save as type box.
  • Click Options in the same box as above, and in the resulting box, choose WAV (Microsoft) from the Header menu.
  • In the same box, in the Encoding area, select Microsoft ADPCM
  • Click OK, & Save.
  • Browse to your LEGO Racers 2 installation and go to the game datamusic folder (NOTE: If you have extracted GAMEDATA.GTC, this is the game data folder that was present before you extracted the archive.)
  • Consulting readme.txt, locate the piece(s) of music that you want to change, and rename the music in the folder to something so you know what it is (I add REAL to the file name).
  • Copy you custom music to the game files, (if you did not export the music there) and rename it the correct name (“menu.1″ for example).
  •  Launch LEGO Racers 2, and enjoy the custom music!

Video

Proof-of-concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MKYEVF52g

@'s LR2 music modding.

Turn Down Your Speakers!

RocketTheRacer advices all watchers to turn down your speakers before clicking play. Her music modding came out much louder than she wished. I recommend doing what she says, especially if you are using headphones, for the sake of your hearing. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBXMjg8s6n4

• Like 2

Oh, see, I didn't know about the Hz part, so while I knew how to do this it wouldn't work if I had tried because I keep missing little things. Thank you all you people who show me how to do things properly. ;)

Racers music into Racers 2 :af:

Ooh, wait, it also works the other way around :af:

I Am Not Here

Thanks, now I dont have to listen to Rocket Racer's race theme

check mine out (turn down the volume)

http://youtu.be/oBXMjg8s6n4

• 1 month later...

Will someone do something related to this topic? I can't do it, because I don't own the software.

Basically, I would like someone to use my tutorial above to change the music in Drome Racers. LR2 and DR use the same engine, so they might (more like should) use the same type of music. I've been told by Jamesster that it should work, but I don't own DR so I can't try it.

If someone will do this, please upload it and embed it here. And if it's on YouTube, please leave it as a video response to my LR2 video. And please keep the music clean and not the-bass-and-guitar-will-hurt-your-ears music. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
DarkD3filer

Can't get this to work. Followed instructions to the letter and i'm met with high pitched squeals and such, then an immediate CTD.

:(

aidenpons
5 hours ago, DarkD3filer said:

Can't get this to work. Followed instructions to the letter and i'm met with high pitched squeals and such, then an immediate CTD.

:(

As someone who has never touched this topic before.... that sounds like the music didn't export correctly into the right format. It was at the right number of Hertz and whatever?

Also, does normal LR2 run and play its mindnumbingly boring music fine?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.