Extreme110's Traveller's Tales Game Research Blog

McJobless

Any update on the networking being enabled? It would really help the LP we are doing. (We have to sit in a small area to record/play because 1, we have to have a mic hooked up, and 2, we are using the keyboard and Xbox 360 controller for the LP, and they have to be plugged in. Networking would allow us to record/play on both computers, each with our own controller and mic. Oh, and don't forget leg room. :P) Plus, it would just be plain fun. :D

He basically told me from what he's seen that the Xbox version already had .xex files (pretty much an .exe) for online, and all he had to do was find a byte in the main .xex and switch it. That's not looking good for the PC version, because it's a completely different system. I'll see if he can look at the PS3 version.

So you can download save games and they will work on other computers? Duh, I've done that. I've moved my saves a few time onto different computers. So I guess the question is can you give out just a builder level and it work, or do you have to give out the whole save file? (Whole meaning the the levels save and the builder save.)

You'll have to copy across the save file, and EVERY SINGLE MODDED FILE. The game doesn't like it when I tried moving just the build level and the save file.

I mean a non-modded builder save. Can I only give out the builder file, or do I have to give out the entire save?

I haven't tested, but you should be able to just give out the builder save.

Ok. I have been trying to extract the files again using the script you gave me. I did what you said, and here are the logs:

GAME.dat: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/le717/Random/Take-2/errorloggame.txt

GAME0.dat: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/le717/Random/Take-2/errorloggame0.txt

I tried game.dat from where I already had it, and for game0.dat I moved it to C: under the folder "GAME0".

I did not do anymore because of... well when you read them, you will know why. ;)

As for the LP, I'm not sure if I can do it. I told my Mom that I need to upload a test video to make sure it wouldn't be blocked worldwide because of the audio, and she misunderstood me and Dad won't let me upload the test because he doesn't understand either. I'm sure it won't get blocked. There are a couple of LPs of LIJ2 on YT, and they are not blocked nor are their audio cut out. Plus, it might be harder to be to be caught because two people's voices are in it. I will be asking Dad and explaining it to him. Maybe I can continue recording.

Alright, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't get blocked. You just keep working on it.

You're getting a lot less CRC errors, but I dunno...what I'm willing to do is extract all the files on my system, zip them up and send them to you on the password-protected upload place, and then you can delete them when you're done. Only problem will be the fact that it is a lot of stuff.

What exactly do the crc errors mean? And do you think I have a bad copy of quickbms? I'm using the exe called "quickbms.exe", and none of the .dat files are more than 4GB (only one is over 1GB), so I don't know what is wrong. The game loads and plays, so I can't figure it out. Would fresh .dat files from the disc help any?

Just for kicks, how large are all the extracted files? I would much rather extract them myself, since the .dat files are about 1GB, and since it takes a few hours to download 1 GB, it would take even longer to download everything, even if it is spilt up.

What exactly do the crc errors mean? And do you think I have a bad copy of quickbms? I'm using the exe called "quickbms.exe", and none of the .dat files are more than 4GB (only one is over 1GB), so I don't know what is wrong. The game loads and plays, so I can't figure it out. Would fresh .dat files from the disc help any?

CRC's are essentially small digits that represent how big a file should be, as a method of error checking. Basically, the scanner is going through your .dat files, and the CRC values aren't match the size of the files that it's trying to extract. Fresh .dat files should work.

Just for kicks, how large are all the extracted files? I would much rather extract them myself, since the .dat files are about 1GB, and since it takes a few hours to download 1 GB, it would take even longer to download everything, even if it is spilt up.

All the content is almost 6.5GBs fully extracted. Probably best if we can get you to extract it yourself, instead of having to fiddle with uploading and downloading.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't worked on this for a while because it's still not working. I got fresh .dat's from the disc and ran it with your script, and I was still getting .crc errors. I downloaded a fresh copy of quickbms, but I never extracted it. Combine that with the fact that LU closes tomorrow and the GDB viewer and that I am only booting the machine on weekends and that Brickshelf has been down since Friday and school and life, and you can see why I haven't done it anymore. :P

Any updates on the LAN play for PC?

As for the LP, I haven't even recorded any more. Dad wanted me to stop uploading videos last week. He said he would tell me if I can start again, but he hasn't. I will check later.

I haven't worked on this for a while because it's still not working. I got fresh .dat's from the disc and ran it with your script, and I was still getting .crc errors. I downloaded a fresh copy of quickbms, but I never extracted it. Combine that with the fact that LU closes tomorrow and the GDB viewer and that I am only booting the machine on weekends and that Brickshelf has been down since Friday and school and life, and you can see why I haven't done it anymore. :P

That sucks man...alright, I'll look into it, and if I have to, I'll make a Video Tut just in case I've written something wrong.

Any updates on the LAN play for PC?

My comrade whose looking into the PS3 version is having difficulites trying to extract the disc. He was pretty...um...I won't trouble you with his exact words, but he'll crack it eventually. He's a R&C fan like I am, so he wants to be able to crack the PS3 format.

As for the LP, I haven't even recorded any more. Dad wanted me to stop uploading videos last week. He said he would tell me if I can start again, but he hasn't. I will check later.

Damn, man. Alright, do check later. I'm interested.

My comrade whose looking into the PS3 version is having difficulites trying to extract the disc. He was pretty...um...I won't trouble you with his exact words, but he'll crack it eventually. He's a R&C fan like I am, so he wants to be able to crack the PS3 format.

So the Xbox 360 proved useless in figuring this out?

So the Xbox 360 proved useless in figuring this out?

He can only go so far with one version, because PS3, Xbox 360 and PC games are always coded differently, so he thinks if he can see how the PS3 version did it, he can take a stab at the PC edition.

• 1 month later...

A few things:

1. So no progress on the PS3? Ok. I guess whenever it's cracked this can have another stab at it.

2. I got QuickBMS and the script on the other computer, and I tried extracting them again. Same thing: some crc error. But when I set the script to nameless, it extracted perfectly.

3. What .dat would contain this video in it? http://youtu.be/6CMRmxf0WaQ , and what would it's name/extension be? I am wanting to use it in a video really soon (as get the video ready this week), but every time I go to get a better quality, I can't it to play. I just go back to the game boxes/world hub. The text is variable, as this video plays each time you "finish" a box, and I know where the original audio is. But I don't want to extract all the .dats for just one file.

1. So no progress on the PS3? Ok. I guess whenever it's cracked this can have another stab at it.

He looked at the only thinks we can extract from the PS3 disc, which are driver files, and looked over them all, specifically networking. He can't figure out how the PS3 edition changed, but he's now browsing the PC .exe with the Xbox 360 code changes.

2. I got QuickBMS and the script on the other computer, and I tried extracting them again. Same thing: some crc error. But when I set the script to nameless, it extracted perfectly.

...Really? That's very, very weird. Well, so long as it extracts. I dunno why the filename should change anything, but there you go.

3. What .dat would contain this video in it? http://youtu.be/6CMRmxf0WaQ , and what would it's name/extension be? I am wanting to use it in a video really soon (as get the video ready this week), but every time I go to get a better quality, I can't it to play. I just go back to the game boxes/world hub. The text is variable, as this video plays each time you "finish" a box, and I know where the original audio is. But I don't want to extract all the .dats for just one file.

Unfortunately, it's not a video file. There are only two video files in the .BIK format (which can be played with a variety of players), but they're already in the Video folder. The dance is an animation, which I believe are coded in the *.an3 file format, and then compressed into the *.AN3_PS3.pak files, none of which are extractable yet. Sorry.

He looked at the only thinks we can extract from the PS3 disc, which are driver files, and looked over them all, specifically networking. He can't figure out how the PS3 edition changed, but he's now browsing the PC .exe with the Xbox 360 code changes.

Alright! Post back on here is anything comes up!

...Really? That's very, very weird. Well, so long as it extracts. I dunno why the filename should change anything, but there you go.

Who knows. Maybe LR1 over again? That might explain why I have to do it nameless, and why the BYOA crashes sometimes.

Unfortunately, it's not a video file. There are only two video files in the .BIK format (which can be played with a variety of players), but they're already in the Video folder. The dance is an animation, which I believe are coded in the *.an3 file format, and then compressed into the *.AN3_PS3.pak files, none of which are extractable yet. Sorry.

Then is there anyway I can get the scene to play again without going and playing an entire movie over again? Please?

Who knows. Maybe LR1 over again? That might explain why I have to do it nameless, and why the BYOA crashes sometimes.

I haven't been too much into the LR1 modding scene, but after reading, it sure looks like it. I dunno why they would, though.

Then is there anyway I can get the scene to play again without going and playing an entire movie over again? Please?

Not that I know of, sorry. I'll look into missions and see if I can get it to skip, but I dunno man.

• 1 year later...

Though I would post this here for preservation.

McJobless, jamesster, Joe, Alcom and I (well, near the end) were talking about the TT Games and they have never reused stuff they had in earlier games, when McJobless said he wished they made the Indiana Jones 2 level builder have more space by default when I chimed in about sharing builder levels. The following is a transcript of the conversation between McJobless and I.

[8/25/2013 7:38:59 PM] McJobless: They needed to expand the level editor.
[8/25/2013 7:39:09 PM] McJobless: I don't understand the arbitrary limits they placed.

[8/25/2013 7:39:18 PM] McJobless: I set myself up to go unlimited, and the game worked fine.

[8/25/2013 7:40:05 PM] Triangle717: [sunday, August 25, 2013 7:39 PM] McJobless:

<<< I set myself up to go unlimited, and the game worked fine.

Did you ever write your tut on how to do that? (Side note: you did.)

[8/25/2013 7:40:15 PM] Triangle717: They needed that, and level sharing.

[8/25/2013 7:40:39 PM] McJobless: Uhhhh...I cannot remember. If I get time I'll come back to it. Level sharing I'm not sure if we got working yet.

[8/25/2013 7:41:25 PM | Edited 7:41:31 PM] Triangle717: [sunday, August 25, 2013 7:40 PM] McJobless:

<<< Level sharing I'm not sure if we got working yet.

Actually.... (begin possible eye roll),
[8/25/2013 7:42:38 PM | Edited 7:42:43 PM] Triangle717: I found out there is a way to share the levels. Was planning on writing a program semi-like PatchIt to automate the sharing, and make some (privacy) changes, but never did.

[8/25/2013 7:43:01 PM] McJobless: Ah.
[8/25/2013 7:43:11 PM] McJobless: Well, there's not so much of an audience which is the problem.
[8/25/2013 7:43:27 PM] McJobless: It'd be a bigger deal if we could get a program to switch model formats between each game.
[8/25/2013 7:43:44 PM] McJobless: So I got throw all the Star Wars characters into Indiana Jones.
[8/25/2013 7:43:49 PM] Triangle717: I'll tell the method and changes, maybe someone will write a program to do it if I don't do it first,
[8/25/2013 7:43:55 PM] Triangle717: That is, if you want to hear it.

[8/25/2013 7:44:20 PM] McJobless: I don't know much about programming, so I wont be able to do anything with it.

[8/25/2013 7:44:30 PM] Triangle717: Promise I'll try to keep it brief.
[8/25/2013 7:45:53 PM] Triangle717: Near the top of each save, there are two lines. They are the path to the AppData folder for the game, the first to the folder only, second to CachedShaders.dat.
[8/25/2013 7:46:47 PM] Triangle717: It is written when you make the save, and varies depending on your username/XP or Vista+ (this is obvious).
[8/25/2013 7:47:22 PM] Triangle717: The app would blank these lines, converting them to nulls (I think that is it) so no personal info would be shared.

[8/25/2013 7:47:35 PM] McJobless: Oh cool, alright.

[8/25/2013 7:48:24 PM] Triangle717: Long renaming process here, so it can be planted into the proper slot, and would include a 100% save so everything could be used.
[8/25/2013 7:49:09 PM] Triangle717: Then, it would locate your AppData folder, ask for save slot (actually, this is the renaming process), install the files.
[8/25/2013 7:49:12 PM] Triangle717: Tada.
[8/25/2013 7:50:13 PM] Triangle717: And actually, the paths in the file aren't even used, so it you can either blank them or do a straight copy, and it loads.

[8/25/2013 7:50:37 PM] McJobless: Oh wow, alright.

[8/25/2013 7:50:44 PM] Triangle717:  I've done this plenty of times, even from an XP to 7 transition.
[8/25/2013 7:51:15 PM] Triangle717: That's it. It's downright so simple, yet TT cared not to add such a feature.

• 1 month later...

The method for modding the game through extracting the files and placing them in the root folder appears not to work with Lego Lord of the Rings, but I can confirm it does work with Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which is a shame since the LLOTR one is IMO a better and more interesting game and could probably be more interesting mod-wise since it's "Open World".

Sorry for the 3 month bump as well.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing around with LSW: The Clone Wars and it seems you can edit the character configs files yet changes don't do anything, though through filename changes you can mix the character models around. I can't find anywhere where the actual character configs are so I assume they're in the compiled/encrypted files which I can't edit.

• 4 weeks later...

The method for modding the game through extracting the files and placing them in the root folder appears not to work with Lego Lord of the Rings, but I can confirm it does work with Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which is a shame since the LLOTR one is IMO a better and more interesting game and could probably be more interesting mod-wise since it's "Open World".

Sorry for the 3 month bump as well.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing around with LSW: The Clone Wars and it seems you can edit the character configs files yet changes don't do anything, though through filename changes you can mix the character models around. I can't find anywhere where the actual character configs are so I assume they're in the compiled/encrypted files which I can't edit.

They keep making pointless modifications to the engine everytime they release a new game, so I'm not surprised. If I had money kicking around I'd look into that stuff, but right now I don't think demand is too high.

• 4 weeks later...

It Works like you are used to if you remove the empty __disc__ file.

I successfully recreated dlc the console version of Lego lotr has.

I then figured I ad some more minifigs to be playable which works fine but most ignore their own txt config for some reason... and I really need to figure out how to unpack the a a .cd files. The cd stands for character definition file.

You guys might also find this nice:  http://wiki.the-team-mystery.com/index.php?title=LEGO_Lord_of_the_Rings

Feel free to add info there. Should help preserve the info. I intend to do pages for the other Lego games but I don't own em yet.

Looking up minifig namevars in the hgo file in the chars folder and then adding them to collection.txt

Additionally stuff/iconpage has to be altered accordingly. Still chardefs (.cd) would have to be altered for names and behaviors, but no luck with that yet...

• 4 weeks later...

Since we're on the topic of modding LEGO games, I might as well share my ideas and questions.

This seems to be the only forum that could possibly answer my questions; maybe someone here with some knowledge of scripting within the game could assist me.

The LEGO game I need some assistance on is "LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga." I already extracted all the files, so I have the configs out and ready to be edited.

Now time for my questions:

• Party sizes within the game - any way to spawn creatures (npcs) to make them follow you thereby increasing party sizes?
  • Partner damage (AI Controlled guy), any way of making your AI partner (player_2) take and receive damage? In the main hub (cantina) your partner can actually kill and die - so maybe it's within the scripts somewhere.

Now for my findings. 

Within the folders, specifically,  LEVELSMAPMAPAI, there contains some interesting script files. MAPCOMBAT.scp among many. This could be the answer to question 2.

Sorry for bumping a rather old thread, but it seems this is our only gateway to the modding wonders.

Oh yes, and another thing. It seems the newer LEGO games (including the new LEGO Star Wars game) actually makes your partner useful. An example can be taken in one of the Batman LEGO games, in which your partner can actually die AND kill enemies; having this in an older game would prove to be rather fun!

Thats my share from me.  ;)

-Spets :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

As I think you discovered, all the .scp (Script) files are written in plain English programming language so I think both your points are theoretically possible. You would need to find the part of the script files that manages parties when you load a mission and it would probably be a list of the internal character name or ID.

Your second point might depend on how the game has implemented enemy damage. Perhaps the enemy entities check if they're being hit by the player to determine whether or not to take damage or maybe it's done on the AI controlled player's end?

EDIT: On my own progress, I followed the progress and I've got Lego LOTR working with it's files extracted, including replacing one of the sound effect .pac with it's contents (And it still works!). I replaced the Hobbiton party music and made the skeleton a playable character (Surprisingly while it has no weapon you can still do a jump + hit slam).

EDIT: Giant Sauron is cool, too bad it doesn't work that well.

EDIT: Scripting works, I changed the black gate's script so that it is closed when it should be open.

As I think you discovered, all the .scp (Script) files are written in plain English programming language so I think both your points are theoretically possible. You would need to find the part of the script files that manages parties when you load a mission and it would probably be a list of the internal character name or ID.

Your second point might depend on how the game has implemented enemy damage. Perhaps the enemy entities check if they're being hit by the player to determine whether or not to take damage or maybe it's done on the AI controlled player's end?

Well, glad to see a reply. Sadly I've tried everything, and it seems to be completely hardcoded.

As you may've seen, the main hub area (or the loadgame, savegame map.) has been programmed so that everyone within in it can take damage and the such. 

Another interesting note is that the player (player_1) is the only character within the normal maps that can take and give damage; other AI units in the field cannot do anything to harm other units - something that has to be hardcoded, I don't really know.

I'm guessing the map editor they used has these options and such.

Before I end this, I might as well state that the ai_2 file seems to be encrypted; maybe this controls the damage as well as the level paths?

- Spets

Hi.

In the last few days I got a few LEGO games and I started hacking them. I want to be able to edit levels completely, so I'm analyzing all the files that comprise the levels (I'm using Lego Harry Potter 1 and Lego Batman 1 for now). If anything has any information about them, that would be great. This seems to be the only thread in the whole internet that I can find about this, so I'll ask my questions here :)

EDIT: On my own progress, I followed the progress and I've got Lego LOTR working with it's files extracted, including replacing one of the sound effect .pac with it's contents (And it still works!). I replaced the Hobbiton party music and made the skeleton a playable character (Surprisingly while it has no weapon you can still do a jump + hit slam).

Lucas W, do you mean that you extracted the PAC file contents and removed the file, and everything continued working? Like we do with the DAT files?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.