Arthuriel

1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file download) - 2020-08-30: fixed studio 2.0/ldraw file download link

Glitchipedia

There are several words I could use to describe this: beautiful, stunning, magnificent, marvelous, stupendous, incredible, astounding, remarkable, and spectacular, to name a few. And not a single one of them would do this work of art justice.

Purple Wolf

Like many others have said this is amazing! I've always wanted to see it to scale and I must say it doens't disappoint. It's just so accurate. If I ever had the time, money, and space I would so recreate this model. Ah a wishful fantasy.

kris220b
Rackover

Damn that looks cool !

Last time I used LDD, something like ten years ago, I remember it was quite expensive to actually buy the piece set you'd made on it. But still, this is an amazing work. Keep it up !

Arthuriel

This thread will never die (except when it does ; ) )!

Thanks to baraklava I thought, that I should check out stud.io and it's render function.
The import took about a minute and rendering varied from picture to picture (guess: 1/2 hour - 1 hour).
For further information I just insert the description, that I added to each of the new pictures on RRU:
"I tried out the photorealistic render option in studio 2.0. I used the very high settings at 4k resolution (or 3840x2160 pixels to be specific). The original pictures are all PNG files with a transparent background, but to save space on RRU I turned them into JPG files with a dark background and my name in the corner."
Overall I uploaded 8 pictures and added them to the first post. At first glance it looks like the colours are all desaturated, but that's due to the spaceship being predominantly grey and the background, too (although I prefer the background that way for viewing purposes).
Also: It's almost the 8th anniversary of this thread. Yay : D !

tl;dr: new pictures of the L.M.S. Explorer are in the first post of this thread

Arthuriel

A few weeks ago I also uploaded the studio 2.0 file on bricklink, where you are able to download it: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=105148
It's an io file, which is used by studio 2.0 (the program I used to make the new renders). Basically I just imported the ldraw file into studio 2.0 and exported an io file.
This way maybe more people will see the spaceship since bricklink and the program studio 2.0 seem to be quite popular in the LEGO community.

Arthuriel

I think that some time after LEGO has bought bricklink the terms of service were changed. The result was that creations that weren't based on your own original theme or idea were changed to display only mode. Luckily I have also uploaded it here on RRU. I should also change the link in the first post: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/digital_models/ldraw/11-lms-explorer-r195/

Why bricklink shows two steps is a bit weird and I should check out what it shows in those two steps. Here is the thing though: I never intended to make a manual for this giant spaceship to begin with. The file can still be used to build it in another program or in real life, but keep in mind that this is basically just the hull without anything in it.

So yeah, I wish you luck with building the L.M.S. Explorer : ). May I ask, where you are going to build it? In a program or in real life? Both cases are impressive although the second case is probably even more impressive since I don't even know, if there are enough of the needed bricks on bricklink to build this thing.

Thomkok23

It is sad rock raiders does not show a whole lot of the inside rooms it has and where they are in the ship, but it is still awesome to see that you have created the hull. I can not even imagine how hard it has been to recreate this ship 1:1.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:44 PM, Arthuriel said:

May I ask, where you are going to build it? In a program or in real life?

I am glad you asked. I am going to try to build the L.M.S. Explorer in roblox. I am bored and I wanto to do something. I always wanted to create this awesome ship in my rock raiders themed game. Now I am able to try because of your commitment to this project.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:44 PM, Arthuriel said:

May I ask, where you are going to build it? In a program or in real life?

It would be amazing if someone would try to build this in real life. I would really like to see that happen.

Lol LDView crashes, because of the size of your build. I am happy Studio 2.0 can handle your build lol. Studio 2.0 also moves a lot smoother. This will help a lot with trying to build this. Damn the bricks are so small 😂. I hope I can pull this off. I have to have a lot of patients on trying to do this. This will take a while.

Arthuriel

Well, I also recreated the bridge and the hangar bay room*. Maybe I will do the same with the other rooms one day and upload everything to RRU as a complete package (the bridge is already downloadable).
It probably took so long to make the L.M.S. Explorer, because I used the lcd file format (that and the sheer size of the ship), which takes way longer to load than ldraw files. Of course I only found that out afterwards XD.

Roblox you say? That's sounds cool. I once made on RRU a blog post about every L.M.S. Explorer recreation out there on the internet. Sadly many links don't work anymore, but in the case of a roblox one I managed to find a few working links:
https://www.roblox.com/library/7631919/rock-raiders-LMS-explorer
https://www.roblox.com/games/124400692/Galaxy-Six
https://www.roblox.com/library/8296862/lms-explorer-stuff

Yeah, it would be nice to see it in real life. About LDView and such: in my case this program and Studio 2.0 work, but I also prefer Studio 2.0 since it has an integrated renderer and such.

*another user called Sadiemeowsalot also tried to recreate the hangar bay, but it's unfinished