1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Arthuriel

Thank you :) .

Here are some updates: Actually I'm working on a LMS Explorer mini model and today I have found a LDraw part library update (from yesterday) with the octogonal slope piece etc. Now I could try to finish the LMS Explorer in LeoCAD or MLCAD but it would take some time. Maybe I will do it when I have a lot of time or/and enough motivation :lol: .

PS: Hmm, someone (a guy called saugworm) advertises my project (link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6417) but I hope that he isn't a free rider.

• 6 months later...

Wow. I've read this entire thing, and seeing as its been a while, am wondering if any progress has been made.

Your Model looks fantastically close to the original, and is impressively stunning. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work (several months so I've read), but hear it form me, its been well worth it. You've done something no one else has even tried.

Now, the only thought I would have on speeding up the process in the computer programs would be to separate it into several sections. Break the ship apart into 5-6 main parts, each one in its own file. Modular building if you will. I'm sure you've considered this, however the only downside I see that would be an issue would be keeping the size constant.

That way, you could work on each section individually, and work on the details of each, weather it be the hull separated into sections, hollow with superstructure, to work on outside details, or individual rooms you wish to include.

Thats my thoughts, however, Regardless of that, you have a Very Impressive model here, and I would continue to put forth effort into it.

Fantastic and Ground breaking work here. You Deserve an Energy Crystal Trophy or something....

@Extreme: You have forgotten the sharp rocks at the bottom of the waterfall ;) .

@Snow Monk: Currently I have no time etc. to continue this project, but the idea with different modules could be helpful (however I have to figure out if this is even workable on such a scale).

Maybe it would be more interesting to build just one section (like the section with the bridge on top of it) of the ship with a inner structure in real life, whereas building some rooms etc. in programs like LDD should help a bit.

PS: In my opinion MLCAD is faster and better than LeoCAD (e.g.: loading time), but it has more difficult controls. It's like "pick your poison": a fast program with difficult controls or a slow program with easier controls :lol: .

• Like 2

Amazing. Do you think you could maybe release like 1/10th of the back/front of the ship? I play a game called roblox, like legos online, and the ship could potentially be built in it. It can support more bricks than makes up the ship, and I'd like to give a conversion tool a shot.

@HHRoblox: Do you want to know, how the front und the back of the ship look like (e.g. more pictures of the LMS Explorer) or do you want to see a 1:10 model of the ship, too (because I have also built a 1:8 model: 

@RRDocs: Thank you :).

@thetoolraider: I know Lego Lego cuusoo, but according to the cuusoo guidelines there are only original creations allowed (here is the link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/guidelines ). This means, that they don't want another Remake etc. of a Lego series. There's another problem, too: even my 1:8 model of the LMS Explorer contains ~5400 pieces, which means that it would be too expensive as a lego model.

• Like 1

There's another problem, too: even my 1:8 model of the LMS Explorer contains ~5400 pieces, which means that it would be too expensive as a lego model.

*cough* LEGO Death Star *cough*

You mean this "small" thing with just ~3800 pieces ;) ? Forget it, because the UCS Millenium Falcon has even more bricks :D.

btw: You have a point, because TLC made big sets and if a model will be too big, they make a smaller one (look at the minecraft set). Although there is still one problem: the cuusoo guidelines

There are some points like this one:

Acceptable content:

5. No projects to bring back old LEGO products. Please don't submit projects requesting we re-release or "bring back" discontinued LEGO products or themes. LEGO CUUSOO is for new and original ideas.

The LMS Explorer was never a set, but it belongs to the rock raider theme, which means that my idea would violate point number 5. Hmm, a hard decision, because it would be more like a UCS model of a product, which only existed in a computer game.

Maybe I should just post it on cuusoo ;).

• 5 weeks later...

Oh wow, this is... wow. :o

Very impressed with this model. I'm curious, though, if you'd be able to release the .ldr (or whatever extention LeoCAD uses) files of both the actual ship as well as the redesigned bridge? I'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing, as well as the fact that I'd really like to build the bridge for myself!

~
Kohilå

II'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing

There are about 57,000 bricks currently, so I estimated $6000-$6500, but it's hollow so it could easily go up to $15,000. Or maybe I'm just guessing wildly. Regardless, it's big, and it's very hard to even look at the model.

Very impressed with this model. I'm curious, though, if you'd be able to release the .ldr (or whatever extention LeoCAD uses) files of both the actual ship as well as the redesigned bridge? I'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing, as well as the fact that I'd really like to build the bridge for myself!

~
Kohilå

You have my respect. Not just for what you said, but for changing your text color and actually taking the time to make your post content look cooler.

Only time I've ever seen this was back on BZPower.

You mean this "small" thing with just ~3800 pieces ;) ? Forget it, because the UCS Millenium Falcon has even more bricks :D.

btw: You have a point, because TLC made big sets and if a model will be too big, they make a smaller one (look at the minecraft set). Although there is still one problem: the cuusoo guidelines

There are some points like this one:

Acceptable content:

5. No projects to bring back old LEGO products. Please don't submit projects requesting we re-release or "bring back" discontinued LEGO products or themes. LEGO CUUSOO is for new and original ideas.

The LMS Explorer was never a set, but it belongs to the rock raider theme, which means that my idea would violate point number 5. Hmm, a hard decision, because it would be more like a UCS model of a product, which only existed in a computer game.

Maybe I should just post it on cuusoo ;).

My question now is about the RI line? It seems to be in a grey area.

Anyways, I had to stop with my city because of the fact that I will need about 256 TiB and a multi processor chipset to work with it in full. What are you using in the hardware department to do this?

II'd really like to figure out how much it'd cost to build the actual thing

There are about 57,000 bricks currently, so I estimated $6000-$6500, but it's hollow so it could easily go up to $15,000. Or maybe I'm just guessing wildly. Regardless, it's big, and it's very hard to even look at the model.

Yeah, I noticed the brick count and was really amazed at the sheer volume of it. But what I really want to discern is how much plastic is actually in the thing so that a more accurate value can be assigned.

That, or I'll just end up looking up the value of the pieces on Bricklink or something. :P

~
Kohilå

You have my respect. Not just for what you said, but for changing your text color and actually taking the time to make your post content look cooler.

Only time I've ever seen this was back on BZPower.

Ahhaha, thanks! I'm actually a Premier Outstanding BZPower Citizen back on BZPower. I rarely ever use the forum anymore, though. :

Plus I'm a Homestuck, and font coloration comes with being a fan.

~
Kohilå

regarding the costs and the bricks: Hmm, I don't know, how many bricks the inner structure would have, but I think, that a complete LMS Explorer model (with rooms etc.) contains several 100.000 or even millions of bricks. That means that the whole thing would cost at least ~50.000€.

@Tracker: 256TiB?!? That sounds extremly big. Do you use LDD, LeoCAD or MLCAD? I used LeoCAD for the LMS Explorer, but MLCAD would have been much faster (but it takes more time to get used to it). As far as I know, these three programs use only one cpu core.

The main parts of my hardware system are a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 4 GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB

Here is a comparison between the 1:1 LMS Explorer model loading times in LeoCAD and MLCAD: ~2 1/2 hours in LeoCAD and maybe 1-3 minutes in MLCAD.

PS: Yes, maybe some things in the cuusoo guidelines are not really clear.

@Kohila: If you want to build the model or a part of it, you will need lots of bricks. I hope, that there are enough of them at bricklink etc. :lol: Besides: Maybe I can send you the file of the 1:1 version.

fun fact: I have sent the file to several people in this forum, because they requested it, but I never get an answer back, if they have used it. Maybe it is too big to use it or it takes a long time.

regarding the costs and the bricks: Hmm, I don't know, how many bricks the inner structure would have, but I think, that a complete LMS Explorer model (with rooms etc.) contains several 100.000 or even millions of bricks. That means that the whole thing would cost at least ~50.000€.

@Tracker: 256TiB?!? That sounds extremly big. Do you use LDD, LeoCAD or MLCAD? I used LeoCAD for the LMS Explorer, but MLCAD would have been much faster (but it takes more time to get used to it). As far as I know, these three programs use only one cpu core.

The main parts of my hardware system are a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 4 GB RAM and a HD4870 1GB

Here is a comparison between the 1:1 LMS Explorer model loading times in LeoCAD and MLCAD: ~2 1/2 hours in LeoCAD and maybe 1-3 minutes in MLCAD.

@Kohila: If you want to build the model or a part of it, you will need lots of bricks. I hope, that there are enough of them at bricklink etc. :lol: Besides: Maybe I can send you the file of the 1:1 version.

fun fact: I have sent the file to several people in this forum, because they requested it, but I never get an answer back, if they have used it. Maybe it is too big to use it or it takes a long time.

If you can, send the file to [email protected]. :)

And yeah, I don't think that I have the desire to build the whole LMS Explorer; unrealistic as well as too big to fit anywhere. The bridge will do fine but perhaps I'll start working on sections of the actual ship; at a later date, of course. :P

Also, I've been working on constructing this piece for the MLCad library, as I've noticed that no .dat file exists nor has anyone started working on creating it, either. I know that I own that piece, and that it's laying around somewhere, but I've just been using reference pictures for the time being. I'd really like to create the interior of the piece but, unfortunately, I cannot seem to get any good angles of that. :'(

~Kohilå

This piece (brick-number: 6032) is already in the MLCAD library. I think, that I downloaded it somewhere separately on ldraw.org

PS: I will send you the file today or tomorrow.

PPS: Here is a picture of 6032 in MLCAD:

gallery_1586_210_191604.jpg

This piece (brick-number: 6032) is already in the MLCAD library. I think, that I downloaded it somewhere separately on ldraw.org

PS: I will send you the file today or tomorrow.

PPS: Here is a picture of 6032 in MLCAD:

MLCAD%20piece%206032_63894.JPG

Well, that was a lot of work with polygons and lines for nothing. :T

I'm gonna guess that my MLCad library is out-of-date. Guhh. Fantastic. Thanks for notifying me, though, before I completed it and wasted more time! :P

Also, thanks for taking the time for sending me the file. :D

~Kohilå

LDD for that project and other extremely large builds because I can get elements where I want faster. I'll need to find a way to port it to the ldr format. I use MLCAD for when I need a custom element or impossible placement of elements.

oh, whoops. Here's my answer back: I have the file, but it's too big to do anything with. It takes two minutes to do anything to it.

• Arthuriel changed the title to 1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"
  • lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.