1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"

Arthuriel

Okay, I have solved the problem with the pictures (I have figured out this stuff with the image link etc.).

Yes, the shape of the evalator entry is different. I think it doesn't matter which one I take.

for the evalator door:
Now the real "fun" starts :old_hardlaugh:: Exactly where is the door?^^

In the extended Rock Raiders intro are two interesting scenes (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xgzYIw5vu7Y): 5:25 and 5:39

Here is my analysis:

5:25
gallery_1586_210_2758.jpg

5:39
gallery_1586_210_27611.jpg

scene 1: door is on the row where the 1*2 grille tiles are
scene 2: door is in front of the 1*2 grille tiles row

summary: happy guessing. It's totaly random :old_hardlaugh:. Maybe it's a magic door which changes the position itself and doesn't need any space^^

• Like 1

summary: happy guessing. It´s totaly random O_O:lol: . Maybe it´s a magic door which changes the position itself and doesn´t any space^^

That's what happens when seperate devs make seperate rooms. Just throw whatever looks the best down.

I found suitable door parts (part number is 4511) in LeoCAD and created a 1/2 studge wide gap for them. I don't know, if this would be realistic, but a working real life LEGO evalator in the L.M.S. Explorer will be another story :old_hardlaugh:.

Hmm, I hope that there are somewhere these weird octogonal slope bricks in LeoCAD. I never found them (not even a normal 2*2*1 octogonal brick), but on the other hand I found the door pieces some minutes ago^^.

gallery_1586_210_121966.jpg

• Like 1

Like I said, add a second row of blue grid tiles to make it work best, unless you can find a realistic way for the design to support a half-stud gap. If not either then do whatever works best. How close is the elevator to the back of the shaft?

Okay, I have to figure out which solution would be the best one in real life.

There is a gap with a lenght of 1 1/2 studges. In the extended intro it looks like shaft on the whole back of the bridge. Maybe this means that the evalator moves slantwise.

gallery_1586_210_81882.jpg

Thank you, apemax.

Some seconds ago I found these octogonal slope bricks in dark grey on brickshelf (here is the direct link: http://www.bricklink...=10&itemID=1391) :

gallery_1586_210_120992.jpg

Now I have to find normal 2*2*1 octogonal bricks in dark grey. Maxbe that means that you can build with enough money and enough bricks (some pieces seem to be rare) the whole ship (but on brickshelf are not enough 2*2*3 oder 2*1*3 slope bricks in the right color) :lol:.

PS: You need 32 octogonal slope bricks for the bridge, but there are only 21 on brickshelf available (and the only set which contains two of these pieces is the Stingray Stormer from 1998)
Result: You need 21 pieces and 6 Stingray Stormers^^.

PPS: Maybe you have to take other colors (there are 64 in light grey and 507 in black etc.): http://www.bricklink...tBy=N&sortAsc=A

PPPS: Okay, I didn't find 2*2*1 octogonal bricks, but I found 2*2*3 1/3 octogonal bricks (there aren't any dark grey pieces but some in grey or black) on brickshelf :lol:: http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=6037

PPPPS: MLCAD gave me the possibility to recolor the whole ship in less than half an hour. Here is an example (note: the bricks are not white, but grey. I think the reason is the lighting.:lol:
gallery_1586_210_66675.jpg
gallery_1586_210_43628.jpg

gallery_1586_210_72668.jpg

you know you can get bricks from LDD to LeoCad and such? There's a topic by a guy named pWNZOR on this subject, look it up. You'll get octagons then.

I searched in LDD (in the LEGO Universe part too) octogonal pieces, but I only found normal octogonal pieces and not octogonal slopes. Maybe they will come in future versions or I didn´t found them.

No, but I have activated it some minutes ago (LDDExtended) and found them in a category where I never suspected them :lol: . Thank you :) .

PS: I tried to build only the bridge room in LDD but the inside seems to be bigger than the outside (the inside parts are 2 plates higher than the shell^^).

PPS: Can you give me the name of the thread, please? I cannot find it. (I tried to export the bridge from LDD to LeoCAD, but the most pieces (e.g. octogonal) are not displayed by LeoCAD).

Okay, thank you. I installed the programs and tried to make a screenshot with F10, but I saw nothing in XML. Hmm, maybe I will try it later again.

Okay, thank you. I installed the programs and tried to make a screenshot with F10, but I saw nothing in XML. Hmm, maybe I will try it later again.

I think he says that if it doesn't do anything you need to restart it up, and if that doesn't work after a few tries, then you should reinstall the program.

I use a totally different method, but you need 3DS Max 2009 (or any Max, but it needs to be older than about 7) and it'll take me a little while to find the little convertor script again if you want it.

^ That all being said, you can use those models and generate .obj files in Max, and if you're half good at modeling, make some custom bricks and colours.

@Extreme: The XML Printscreen program doesn´t work yet. Maybe I will try it with 3DS Max etc. (or I am going to use XML on another computer. Maybe this will work), but actually I want to suspend this project, because it is very boring to do 9 months the same thing and other projects are more interesting. So I will continue it later in some days/weeks/ or months, but in the meantime I am going to present you other things (e.g. UCS versions from some LEGO Rock Raiders vehicles in real life).

@McStudz: *g* Thank you. I made this ship, because I was interested in building it. Hmm, other big projects... ...jeah, maybe an interstellar harbour for spaceships or smaller spaceships would be funny ideas^^, but I wouldneed lots of time for these things too. Therefore smaller projects are better to realize, because they are less time consuming.

@Extreme: The XML Printscreen program doesn´t work yet. Maybe I will try it with 3DS Max etc. (or I am going to use XML on another computer. Maybe this will work), but actually I want to suspend this project, because it is very boring to do 9 months the same thing and other projects are more interesting. So I will continue it later in some days/weeks/ or months, but in the meantime I am going to present you other things (e.g. UCS versions from some LEGO Rock Raiders vehicles in real life).

Woah, woah, woah. You didn't tell me you were actually taking my advice. You can't just charge in like that, you need formulated instructions.

Now, fair enough you want to suspend, but if you do want to learn, PM me, and I'll send the links to the official tools and instructions.

And get this right, you don't need 3DS Max to get the first part working.

@Extreme: Okay, thank you. When I will continue it, I will send you a PM, but now I want to build other things (because of change etc.).

@Lair: Hmm, good question. Originally I built it just for fun or because I thought that it is just cool or something like that. Maybe it can be used as a 3D model for a new Rock Raider intro etc. (however I know nothing of modding) or as a template for a real life LMS Explorer model ( in this case a unfinished model would be sufficent too, because you know, where you have to add or change something etc.).

Making a new RR intro doesn't involve modding. It just would need about eighty billion polygons removed so only the exterior visible areas are existing, and then lightwave or something makes the video.

@Extreme: Okay, thank you. When I will continue it, I will send you a PM, but now I want to build other things (because of change etc.).

I'll be waiting ;P

In the meantime, what other projects are you doing?

@Extreme: I have uploaded some pictures in the gallery from a creation I finished some days ago. Maybe it looks a bit weird, but the biggest problem is the limited number of pieces I have.

Other projects? Hmm, I don´t know. The most important factors are a good idea and enough bricks to build it :lol:

@Lair: Thank you for the information. A intro in a higher resolution would be a interesting idea too.

773.44 * 32 / 100 = 247.5008m That is how long the Explorer is, assuming true L scale (~1/32).

106.38 * 32 / 100 = 34.0416m in the beam.

104.93 * 32 / 100 = 33.5776m high.

The Explorer is quite a large vessel.

Where are you basing your measurements from? Remember that LEGO people are shorter and squattier than humans. A stud would probably still be near a foot.

And yes it's big, it would be one of the most massive and complex (for its size) models ever built by LEGO, aside from the lunacy that LU is throwing (lol nexus tower).

(said complex because there are IRL models way in the millions of bricks but they're not complex and minifig-scaled)

• Arthuriel changed the title to 1:1 scale L.M.S. Explorer (+ldraw/studio 2.0 file downloads) - 2021-10-21: "Oh hey, this thread is 10 years old and still going!"
  • lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.