Baz's Mod V1.5

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answer.

But after some time I finally went through, learned what I had to to get it done and did it xD

My game has now french voices again^^

Even the Tunnel Transport has a french name and voice calling it that xD

It was already in the game

Thanks so much again for your help

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
AnotherCrazyCanadian

Just got it running again after all these years (The Ascending Space here). Can't believe how much of an improvement this is over LRR vanilla! It's so much longer, runs better, just general improvements across the board!

• 4 weeks later...
Cavinator1

The Baz's Mod Levels link (with the complete list of levels) is dead. Anyone have a list? I'd like to know what missions are coming up next.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

has anyone ever beaten Back to Basics on this? cuz it keeps bugging out and Raiders refuse to collect ore or finish shoveling stuff even when there's barely any caverns opened yet. I know Matt had a similar problem in his review but the only other time i've seen this is in levels like Fire'n'Water where the pathfinding gets confused by Raiders being on both sides of the lake - but there's nothing like that here, so what gives?

edit: okay nevermind it worked the second time but then hot stuff flipped the f**** out, I gotta upload a video of that.

And I don't know if Baz or anyone who still intends to make Rock Raiders mods will ever see this or care but, I really gotta say, I was enjoying this a lot for the first several tiers, it had a lot of challenging puzzle levels, none of them really took over 30 minutes... but then creeping in after Lava Laughter, and going full force from Air Raiders onward, everything became f****ing tedious and stressful as hell. It hit that difficulty point where it stopped being tense in a fun way and just started being tense in a nauseating way. The original game kinda had that problem but not to this extent...

After years of meaning to but never making it past the first tier of levels for one reason or another, I finally played this over the last couple weeks, and recorded my progress because why not lmao. Sorry for being so late, but thanks for making this Baz.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
14 hours ago, edwardlego said:

any way to run this with cafetaria for better resolution?

Not at this time unfortunatly, again, next version of cafeteria should support it.

the game crashes so often for me that i can't complete levels.

i can make the game crash instantly by shooting lasers on monsters.

i'm not entirely sure i installed it correctly, i first did the stuff with voodoo and then ran the installer

i tried the link to the troubleshooting but it seems to be down

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

For those still interested, this mod still works. The instructions are somewhat unclear, but there are two things to download: the main mod, and the patch. Copy the main mod into the right place first; then copy the patch into the same place, overwriting files.

I have a copy that works mostly fine. It sometimes crashes, but I can definitely go a few hours of play without issue. I'm using a virtualbox running XP, I don't expect it to run smoothly.

One problem I am having, though, is that one of the biomes is glitched and all the textures are broken. It's still playable if you're careful and you use the GPS map thing, but it's tedious and slow. I'm just avoiding those levels for now.

The levels that have the broken texture (that I've reached so far) are:

• Seamless!
  • Search 'n' Rescue
  • Don't Panic!
  • Breathless

Breathless is required for advancement, which sucks, but it can be done.

I suspect a biome is either missing or misconfigured.

DON'T delete, see edit below.

Update: I figured out what was wrong. Delete

LegoRR2.wad

In detail: First, I was wrong, Don't Panic! was fine. Second, I looked into the WAD files, and figured out that all three of those levels had one thing in common: they were originally a biome named "IceRock". That biome was removed in this mod, and they were assigned to the "Ice" biome.

My guess is that RR was parsing both config files, but only using the modded one (in 1.wad). By parsing the second one, though, it tried to find the texture files for the IceRock biome, and failed, and no textures were loaded at all.

Edit: large sections of the mod are removed by deleting that config file. Don't do it, I'll try and just fix the root issues and upload the patch.

Edited by Phlosioneer

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to edit the levels/the mod?  I could complete Rocky Horror without it crashing if only there weren't so many Monster emerges, Bats, or so many Slugs.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:56 AM, Medimorpho said:

Is there a way to edit the levels/the mod?  I could complete Rocky Horror without it crashing if only there weren't so many Monster emerges, Bats, or so many Slugs.

Yup! First you'll need to unpack your WADs, which are sitting in your LRR directory.

The actual level files are sitting in LegoRR0.wad, under Levels\GameLevels and for instance Rocky Horror will be Level25. You can edit the map files here with Map Creator.

However, the level configuration files are part of Lego.cfg under LegoRR1.wad (open this with something like Notepad++; try not to use Notepad as the indenting is terribly important and Notepad may break something. Run a search for Rocky_Horror (in Lego.cfg) and you should be taken to the level configuration section for Rocky Horror.

There are a couple of values you might want to change; the erosion values for instance. However when it comes to monsters, you'll want to edit EmergeTimeOut. That, if the comment is still there, is the time before an emerge trigger can be re-used. Throw a zero at the end of that number this and you'll have much, much fewer monsters.

Slugs, alas, are a different kettle of fish. They're actually coded into the NERPs files which are quite a pain to edit and require a lot more effort than merely throwing another zero on EmergeTimeOut.

Fortunately there are two simple ways to disable them entirely:

1) Open dugg.map in Map Creator and remove all Slug Holes from the map. Unless Baz has been really mean with his level scripting (highly unlikely) the game should respond just fine. As there are no slug holes, there can be no slugs.

2) All the way up top of the cfg you should find the line EnableDebugKeys (might be called DisableDebugKeys or AllowDebugKeys; just search for DebugKeys and you'll find it). Enable those (change TRUE to FALSE or vice versa). Load the level and hit F12. This disables the NERPS scripter above, thus disabling slugs, but also disabling monster co-ordinated attacks (don't think there are any of those in Baz's scripts though; think the monsters you get in Don't Panic), but also the level completion script. So when you've collected the 200 (how many is it again?) crystals required, hit F12 again to re-enable the Nerps scripter, spam you with slugs, and also cause a victory.

Don't forget to recompile your WADs when you're done!

Edited by aidenpons

• 6 months later...

I'm experiencing a constant crash about 25% of the way through Frozen Frenzy that I can't seem to find discussion about anywhere else.  I have tried increasing TextureUsage to 9567812 but to no change in the outcome.  Any advice would be very much appreciated, even if that resorts to being a way around this level so that I can just move on with the majority of the game!

Thanks so much.

56 minutes ago, bmac9949 said:

I'm experiencing a constant crash about 25% of the way through Frozen Frenzy that I can't seem to find discussion about anywhere else.  I have tried increasing TextureUsage to 9567812 but to no change in the outcome.  Any advice would be very much appreciated, even if that resorts to being a way around this level so that I can just move on with the majority of the game!

Thanks so much.

While LRR has random crashes, and I recall getting past Frozen Frenzy without much of an issue, the easiest way to get past this is to do one of two things:

a) overwrite the script file from another level like Rock Hard or Water Lot of Fun, whereby the objective is merely collect X crystals (pick a level where X is low!)

b) enable debug keys

If it's a), you seem to already know how to unpack your .wad files which is good going (throw them through Wad Recycler and don't forget to recompile!). Open Lego.cfg under the LegoRR1 folder (which you also seem to know where it is: nice!), and search for AllowDebugKeys . That should find a line which says FALSE; change that to TRUE and voila, you can now use debug keys.

Two of these are of immediate use: Ctrl+S, which will immediately win you the level, or NumDel, which deletes the wall at mousepoint: just smack your way through to the Tunnel Transport's cavern.

(Two other useful ones are E, creates a monster at wall mouse is over, and J, creates a fence on tile that the mouse is over).

If it's b), unpack your WADs but this time go under LegoRR0\Levels\GameLevels . Frozen Frenzy is Level09 IIRC, and its script file should thus be 09.npl (you can find out exactly what file it's pointing to in Lego.cfg under Levels { . Either edit the CFG line so it points towards a different script (eg Levels\GameLevels\Level11\11.npl , which should be Water Lot of Fun, or grab 11.npl directly and overwrite 09.npl.

Option a) is a good deal less faff and provides you with lots of fun :P

22 hours ago, aidenpons said:

While LRR has random crashes, and I recall getting past Frozen Frenzy without much of an issue, the easiest way to get past this is to do one of two things:

a) overwrite the script file from another level like Rock Hard or Water Lot of Fun, whereby the objective is merely collect X crystals (pick a level where X is low!)

b) enable debug keys

If it's a), you seem to already know how to unpack your .wad files which is good going (throw them through Wad Recycler and don't forget to recompile!). Open Lego.cfg under the LegoRR1 folder (which you also seem to know where it is: nice!), and search for AllowDebugKeys . That should find a line which says FALSE; change that to TRUE and voila, you can now use debug keys.

Two of these are of immediate use: Ctrl+S, which will immediately win you the level, or NumDel, which deletes the wall at mousepoint: just smack your way through to the Tunnel Transport's cavern.

(Two other useful ones are E, creates a monster at wall mouse is over, and J, creates a fence on tile that the mouse is over).

If it's b), unpack your WADs but this time go under LegoRR0\Levels\GameLevels . Frozen Frenzy is Level09 IIRC, and its script file should thus be 09.npl (you can find out exactly what file it's pointing to in Lego.cfg under Levels { . Either edit the CFG line so it points towards a different script (eg Levels\GameLevels\Level11\11.npl , which should be Water Lot of Fun, or grab 11.npl directly and overwrite 09.npl.

Option a) is a good deal less faff and provides you with lots of fun :P

I opted for the debug option just for ease and expediency, and it worked wonderfully! I'm onward to rockier pastures (meant in a good way for this game), and no crashes yet! Thank you so much @aidenpons!

fragilechaos

I just installed this mod but I’m on the first modded level and my rock raiders keep disappearing. Anyone had this? 

5 hours ago, fragilechaos said:

I just installed this mod but I’m on the first modded level and my rock raiders keep disappearing. Anyone had this? 

This is usually related to the Tunnel Transport (see page 6)

I've also managed to get it to happen usually when stupid things happen involving monsters.

That said, it only strikes roughly one in fifteen levels, so if you're getting it extremely regularly - for instance, every level - there may be an issue there.

I know that it can happen more frequently with a broken .ptl file but last time I checked Baz's were perfectly functional.

As for what to actually do about it...

a) does this happen in vanilla LRR?
b) see the post two above yours on how to enable debug keys; hit Ctrl+S in the level to win it and thus skip it, then see if it occurs in the next level

c) the glitch does not affect vehicles, and nearly all levels can be won with Small Diggers + some STTs, so mass-teleport down small vehicles and see if you can get enough vehicles up before the glitch strikes

d) don't strip-mine a lot at once: wait for all the ore to be picked up before continuing (as a rule of thumb, ~20 walls drilled in a single blow is about the maximum before you need to wait around waiting for the ore to be picked up)

e) keep your raider count below 30

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.