(WIP) Boulder Raiders

William

I'm adding the new biomes now, and I wanted to know, would it be possible to make high-poly walls, meaning with boulders sticking out of them, and energy crystals and ore on seams?

HP walls only appear in 1st or 2nd person view, like Extreme said. Since promeshes are LWOs like everything else, it's possible to make custom walls, but we haven't experimented enough with them to know exactly what it takes to get them to look right. When I tried, the pseudotexture I had applied to my walls got really dark.

Those pictures aren't from cutscenes, they're just development shots. The first one is close to what you might see in a cutscene.

I'm adding the new biomes now, and I wanted to know, would it be possible to make high-poly walls, meaning with boulders sticking out of them, and energy crystals and ore on seams? Sorry if it's been discussed before, I didn't find anything about it though. And also, does each biome need a pro-mesh I think it's called?

If I'm remembering things correctly, the ProMesh is the things sticking out of the walls, but you can only see it in 1st/2nd view.

Unless you can mod the exe to show the promeshes in 3rd person as well; there's no other way to do that.

Edit: If you can do that, I want to see a tutorial on how to do that and how to improve the AI. ;P

I'll work on it and let you know if I have any results. I'll work on the tutorial on how to improve the AI too, I just want to make absolutely sure it's fixed before you go through the trouble of modifying your EXE just to find out it doesn't work. I'm also using a modified hex-editor so you may not be able to. And do I need a promesh for each biome? I'm adding a fourth one, unless is it limited to three?

Edit: By the way, do Rock Raiders skins have to be saved in a "256 color bitmap" format, because I made a skin for them in a "PNG" format by mistake, so I wanted to know if I could use that because the color quality really goes down when I change it's format.

1. And do I need a promesh for each biome? I'm adding a fourth one, unless is it limited to three?

2. Edit: By the way, do Rock Raiders skins have to be saved in a "256 color bitmap" format, because I made a skin for them in a "PNG" format by mistake, so I wanted to know if I could use that because the color quality really goes down when I change it's format.

1. You can use the existing promeshes, you just have to link them properly. As far as I know, all 3 biomes have identical promeshes, but use seperate promeshes anyways...

2. Yes they absolutely have to be 8-bit bitmaps (unless you want to add support for other formats to the exe ;P lol). However, you can convert a 32-bit png to an 8-bit bmp using Paint.Net and get virtually no loss in quality (unlike converting it with MS Paint). This also applies to every other texture though, not just RR skins.

What do you know anything about pro-meshes?

I haven't actually noticed any of them being used in gameplay, even in 1st and 2nd Person Modes. Generally I'd presume that if you open them up in Lightwave, you'd notice they would look like various untextured bits of a wall; that is, kind of sharp bits that stick out.

Wrong. Promeshes come in two halves that make up the walls. Look here: http://www.rockraide...custom-promesh/

Ah, I see what's going on now...I was thinking the promeshes had a more "dramatic" effect on the walls.

@William, I need this answered; What offset is the AI coding at? I have a feature I need to comment out, but I can't locate where it is.

I don't know what you mean by offset actually, or maybe I know what it is but didn't know it was called that. And I've been using notepad and a hex editor to read my EXEs, is there a better program to read it though?

pspad or notepad++ would probably be better... but what are you using to program and incorporate your new AI into the game?

I don't remember what it's called actually. I think it's like a hex-editor. The reason I don't remember what it's called is I renamed it to "EXE Editor" since I modified it and also I downloaded it a long time ago. To whoever wanted screenshots, I was thinking, I can't post any screenshots until I get Lightwave because the animations aren't done, so I can't use anything because only the models are done. I can post some screenshots of the slugs and the Boulder Raiders and stuff, but none of the new stuff, only reskins.

I don't know what you mean by offset actually, or maybe I know what it is but didn't know it was called that. And I've been using notepad and a hex editor to read my EXEs, is there a better program to read it though?

If you don't know what an offset is, but you're using a hex editor, then you're officially either lying or very stupid.

I don't remember what it's called actually. I think it's like a hex-editor. The reason I don't remember what it's called is I renamed it to "EXE Editor" and I downloaded it a long time ago.

I'd like to see some screenshots of this. I want to see the program in use, and I want even to see a video of how you would do some Hex Editing.

Then I'll post pictures of a few of them, I will wait on the more complicated ones though because their not very detailed, the trial version of Lightwave only allows 100 polygons per layer >_>, so their not very good right now. I'm going to wait until I add more detail, unless you would still like to see them.

Sorry Extreme, I'm not allowed to post videos.

Then I'll post pictures of a few of them, I will wait on the more complicated ones though because their not very detailed, the trial version of Lightwave only allows 100 polygons per layer >_>, so their not very good right now. I'm going to wait until I add more detail, unless you would still like to see them.

B/S it does, man. When did they ever start imposing a 100 poly limit?

Sorry Extreme, I'm not allowed to post videos.

Screenshots and a description of what you're doing is satisfactory.

My mistake. It is a 400 point limit. I thought it was 100 polygons because that's all it will ever let me do. And I said maybe I just don't know it's called an offset, or never paid attention to it.

And I said maybe I just don't know it's called an offset, or never paid attention to it.

Right, well, where is it in the file? Specifically speaking, what is the line number (also )called "offset" of the coding? It should be a 6-8 digit number to the side of each line of Hex in most Editors.

Oh yeah, 17. I was thinking though, it may be a little different for yours since I edited it. If this isn't the same for you, you may need to ask someone else, I think s0d3rb3rg knows. It should be close though.

Oh yeah, 17. I was thinking though, it may be a little different for yours since I edited it. If this isn't the same for you, you may need to ask someone else, I think s0d3rb3rg knows. It should be close though.

1. 17 never is, never has been and never will be a valid block number. Hex is always in 8-digits, and you failed to give me a correct offset either
  2. Editing a file doesn't change it's initial block size, giving me your edited block size would have worked because I still would have been able to figure out what lines were edited or not
  3. Nobody else here has ever done this before, you're the first
  4. s0d3rb3rg does not know; he stated clearly he has no idea
  5. When I even changed 1 digit for those lines, LegoRR crashed

I've put so many bullet holes in your theory, I can only call a fake unless you can prove it through video.

1318107777untitled.PNG

Have a nice day.

Either we're discussing lightwave, or Sir William claims to have fixed the AI of the Rock Raiders and is unable to say how.

Either way, cool story bro.

1. 17 never is, never has been and never will be a valid block number. Hex is always in 8-digits, and you failed to give me a correct offset either
  2. Editing a file doesn't change it's initial block size, giving me your edited block size would have worked because I still would have been able to figure out what lines were edited or not
  3. Nobody else here has ever done this before, you're the first
  4. s0d3rb3rg does not know; he stated clearly he has no idea
  5. When I even changed 1 digit for those lines, LegoRR crashed

I've put so many bullet holes in your theory, I can only call a fake unless you can prove it through video.

1. I guess I shouldn't have assumed what block size was. What is it then? I'm very uninformed because my hex-editor doesn't have anything about it, and I've never read about it. And 14A70 is valid offset. I can show you a picture if you want.

2. I said it may, but I was talking about the offset, and I didn't know if it mattered.

3. I hardly did anything in the EXE, I edited only one line.

4. I said he may, I was not saying definately. It's just he found the AI Priorities so I thought he might.

5. Did you code it right?

And I already said, I'm not allowed to post videos, I would need to find another way to prove it.

• Cyrem changed the title to (WIP) Boulder Raiders
  • ShadowDraikana locked this topic