LEGO Racers F.A.Q

Addictgamer

I start racers and the sounds of the video play from my speakers, but I see nothing! Or my game crashes when it should be playing videos! Or some other thing goes wrong involving videos!

Well then, there's no known fix for this bug, but there is a workaround.

If you run LEGO Racers 1 on Windows 7 from a shortcut installed by the game, the videos will play and the sound will be coming out of the speakers, but they will not be the active window. You have to Alt+Tab to another window called "ActiveMovie Window" to see them. When they finish playing, LEGO Racers 1 will then be the active window, and everything will work normally. To fix this bug, you have to skip the videos by adding a parameter to a LR1 shortcut. Find a shortcut that you will be using, right-click on it and press "Properties". In the "Target" area in the resulting box, outside the closing quotation marks, add

-novideo
Now, the Target box should look like this:
 "C:Program FilesLEGO MediaGamesLEGORacers.exe" -novideo 
Substitute "C:Program FilesLEGO MediaGames" for wherever you installed the game. Note the space after the quotation mark.

Click OK, and start the game from that shortcut. The game will load, skipping the videos and, therefore, the bug.

Just remember that the "-novideo" parameter will only work on that shortcut. To make it work on any other shortcut, you have to do the same thing to that one, or copy the fixed shortcut to the other location.

Others have reported a crash regarding "memory drain" when videos play. Just use the aforementioned workaround, and you should be able to enjoy the game.

Setup refuses to install the game!

In Windows Vista:

Modded Lego made a small tutorial on how to run Racers 1999 on Vista (at least for him), but I cannot confirm it (I no longer have Vista), and (no offense, Modded. ;)) it needs to be cleaned up for clearer directions.

If that doesn't work or you're using a different version of Windows, keep reading.

1. le717 made an alternate installer.

Regardless of the reason setup refuses to install the game, be it not starting up at all, crashing during installation, or some other thing, there's an alternate method of installing the game.

I have found a way to get the game files off the disc without installing the game. You see, all the files found where ever you install the game are found in a .CAB file. The CAB file is an InstallShield CAB, so Windows cannot open it. You will need a program called Uniextract.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Download the portable version, extract that, and your almost there. Put in your disc,and copy the "data1.cab"and the "data1.hdr" file to your hard drive. Run Uniextract, and point it to the CAB file. Let it extract, and you will then have all the game files. Rename the folder to want you want, and put it where you want.

Then run the exe. If you have a 1999 release, you will need to insert your CD to play. If you have a 2001 rerelease, you can run it straight from the extracted folder (if you care to do that, that is).

The game should run on Windows Vista and 7 without any compatibility, but I would add the -novideo parameter to a shortcut to the game to fix a weird bug with the videos.

Windowed mode doesn't work!

You have to change your bit mode (also known as bit depth, and color mode) to 16 bits.

Afterwards, it may be wise to change the bit mode back to 32 bits e345633.png

• Like 2

I don't even want to hear it :|

Anyway, would this thing be a good addition to the LR2 portion of the FAQ?

If you are trying to install LR2 on a computer that has more than 2GBs of RAM, the installer will fail, but to limitations in it. But, there is a way to install the game on a computer with more than 2GBs, and without having to mess with boot.ini.

http://answers.micro...e4-ebfc6263ebe6

That is a Microsoft forum thread that I found while waiting for LR1 to arrive.

Ignore the best answer, because that is not why I posted that link. Scroll down to a post made by someone named. "No.Compromise" They give a way to lower the amount of RAM windows used without pulling out the sticks. Then, scroll down and look for another post made by "lukechip". He tried it, and it worked for him.

You should also try this, and let us know what happens.

Fluffy Cupcake

Shouldn't just changing the installer's compatibility to something older fix the 2GB problem? It fixed it for me.

Also, you should change the title to all caps. Like FAQ usually is.

@Segatendo I really do not know. That may work, but I do not own LR2. So, I cannot test it.

@addictgamer Thanks for quoting me! I was just trying to be helpful, didn't think it would land in a FAQ!

I think this should be added to the LR1 part. It is an alternate way of "Installing" LR1 onto a computer:

I have found a way to get the game files off the disc without installing the game. You see, all the files found where ever you install the game are found in a .CAB file. The CAB file is an InstallShield CAB, so Windows cannot open it. You will need a program called Uniextract.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Download the portable version, extract that (yea, extract an extractor.), and your almost there. Put in your disc,and copy the "data1.cab"and the "data1.hdr" file to your hard drive. Run Uniextract, and point it to the CAB file. Let it extract, and you will then have all the game files. Rename the folder to want you want, and put it where you want.

Then run the exe. If your game is disc-less, then it will run without a hitch. If it says that it needs the disc, put it in and try again. If that doesn't work... well, then I do not know.

The game should run on Windows Vista and 7 without any compatibility, but I would add the -novideo parameter to a shortcut to the game to fix a weird bug with the videos.

F.A.Q. has got to be the way to go, because from what I'm seeing, it looks like this game is just as fraught with issues as LegoRR...and I like reading F.A.Q.s ;P

Segatendo, I capitalized it. The forum decapitalized it. Gonna do what extreme did.

For LR1, would it be a good idea to explain the video bug and how to disable videos to avoid it?

I agree with the alternate method of installing addition.

Segatendo, I don't know. I guess "It has been reported that simply changing the compatibility mode appropriated will work around the 2 gb limitation."

Edit: Added content to the FAQ.

Your numbering is a little messed up there. You go 1, 2, 2 ,3 not 1, 2, 3,4. Also it should say that you pull out the ram until you have 2 GBs left in your system.

About the video bug...

If you run LEGO Racers 1 on Windows 7 from a shortcut installed by the game, the videos will play and the sound will be coming out of the speakers, but they will not be the active window. You have to Alt+Tab to another window called "ActiveMovie Window" to see them. When they finish playing, LEGO Racers 1 will then be the active window, and everything will work normally. To fix this bug, you have to skip the videos by adding a parameter to a LR1 shortcut. Find a shortcut that you will be using, right-click on it and press "Properties". In the "Target" area in the resulting box, outside the closing quotation marks, add

-novideo
Now, the Target box should look like this:
 "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\LEGORacers.exe" -novideo 

Substitute "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games" for wherever you installed the game. Note the space after the quotation mark.

Click OK, and start the game from that shortcut. The game will load, skipping the videos and, therefore, the bug.

Just remember that the "-novideo" parameter will only work on that shortcut. To make it work on any other shortcut, you have to do the same thing to that one, or copy the fixed shortcut to the other location.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Someone care to tell me what the video bug is in LR1? Or is there a topic for that already?

I guess it different for different people, but for me I get an error about memory drain before it crashes, sometimes leaving the screen resolution very small.

@Addict, you put #2 twice.

As le717 already stated :P

Ok, fixed the numbering and adding the video bug workaround.

Edit: And the alternate LEGO Racers installation.

What about Windowed mode not working in LR1?

You will have to set your monitor to 16-bit color mode in order to get windowed mode to work. I tried it on Window Vista, and it worked. Just be sure to change back to 32-bit color when your through playing.

Also, the name of the topic should be changed to something like "LR1/LR2 FAQ". When first saw this, I thought, "Oh an FAQ on RRU!" I was wrong...

Also just go to the LR2 disc and find set setup. Right click it and press properties. Then go to the compatibility tab and select combatiblity mode for Windows 95. Click ok. Now click on setup and you'll now install LR2 on Win vista and Win 7. You don't have to change any Giga byte status. This worked for me. Hope this helps. :)

Should I add instructions on changing bit mode in XP, Vista, and 7?

Maybe. I can't add them myself, because I don't run XP, plus I don't have time to compile how to do it on Vista/7.

...There is google, ya know. Very easy for me to search for this blarg. I've written all of this F.A.Q. from linux so far :P

• 1 month later...
Mr. Eight-Three-One

I actually did try installing LR2 on my dad's Windows 7 laptop out of curiosity. It worked, though I almost always put Compatibility Mode on when I install stuff on there. So, I run the game...and it went REEEAAAAALLLLLYYYYY SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWWW. Not that it really matters to me anyway, I've still got a computer that runs it well.

lol username

LR2 works fine on my Windows 7 desktop, heck, on character creation I was getting a whopping 200 FPS, maybe more, can't remember. xD

Mr. Eight-Three-One

For some reason when I ran it I got 5-10 FPS. I don't know what it was about, but like I said, it didn't matter to me all too much. It's my dad's work computer, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't just changing the installer's compatibility to something older fix the 2GB problem? It fixed it for me.

I tried that when I got LR2, and it worked for me also. I set it to XP SP2, but I don't have the game itself running in anything.

Positively confirmed that changing the compatibility settings for the installer makes LR2 install on computers with more than 2 GB of RAM! :D

• 4 months later...
Modded Lego

I have a problem. When i run Lego Racers 2 My music skips, and it sounds awful. I have already tried turning down graphics and sound quality to the lowest setting but nothing works. :wimp: What should I do? :'(

I have a problem. When i run Lego Racers 2 My music skips, and it sounds awful. I have already tried turning down graphics and sound quality to the lowest setting but nothing works. :wimp: What should I do? :'(

I've never had this problem before, do your PC specs meet the requirements?

P.S: Do you HAVE to post smileys all the time?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.