Cfg Modding Troubles

dielyfe

Why is it any time I alter a code in the CFG file, even the tiniest, most minute and insignificant thing, it flips out and the game no longer loads? Any tips or tricks? (Currently trying to get multiple minifigures and own map creations into RR).

WAIT! Break through! I realize I need to edit the script in the CFG file. Any tutorial on this site for that? I'm multitasking here so short cuts would be much appreciated! =)

Well, first thing's first. Make sure you're not saving it as a .txt when you're done.

(I usually just do Save as, and then make sure you select "All Files" instead of .txt.)

I hadn't thought of that. I figured the RRU WAD Tool would automatically save it as a cfg.

No if you are using Notepad, as default it saves files as text files. The WAD Tool simply packs all the files up like a ZIP... just without compression.

I got the cfg edit to work for changing the loading text but I cannot for the life of me get the multiple minifigures to work. I did the walkthrough step by step and everything is exactly how the walkthrough says it should be yet it's not working. What am I doing wrong? Is the guide inaccurate somewhere?

I got the cfg edit to work for changing the loading text but I cannot for the life of me get the multiple minifigures to work. I did the walkthrough step by step and everything is exactly how the walkthrough says it should be yet it's not working. What am I doing wrong? Is the guide inaccurate somewhere?

Ooo Jumping into a harder one there. If you have added all the files and the CFG entries and the game loads up, good! ... mean you applied it right. However for it to work you must edit the level. There is an object list file in each level folder, you need to add an entry for each RR you want in your level. Make sure your put them in a place you can find them (X/Y pos) or else you won't even see them as they'll be in a wall or something.

Ooo Jumping into a harder one there. If you have added all the files and the CFG entries and the game loads up, good! ... mean you applied it right. However for it to work you must edit the level. There is an object list file in each level folder, you need to add an entry for each RR you want in your level. Make sure your put them in a place you can find them (X/Y pos) or else you won't even see them as they'll be in a wall or something.

Yeah, I try to learn fast ya know? ;) So they are supposed to START on the ground in each level? Then how do you teleport them in or will the teleportees be the usual, under-polyed, boring RR Pilots who have no hair and are all exact replicas of each other?

Yeah, I try to learn fast ya know? ;) So they are supposed to START on the ground in each level? Then how do you teleport them in or will the teleportees be the usual, under-polyed, boring RR Pilots who have no hair and are all exact replicas of each other?

Well thats the catch, you can't. You can only pre-place them. Teleporting seems to be hardcoded to only teleporting the plain old RR.

Well thats the catch, you can't. You can only pre-place them. Teleporting seems to be hardcoded to only teleporting the plain old RR.

Okay. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the game will keep teleporting in Pilot (default RR) but the rest of them will be auto-placed? So, edit all the CFG script, add multiple mini-figures folders to mini-figures folder (so, in total, I'll have CAPT, Pilot, Driver, Engineer, Geologist, and Sailor), then go into each level and place each one in the objects list right next to the Tool Store's x/y coordinates? Is the level object list in the CFG or do I have to go into Data>Levels?

Answers just lead to more question. Oh the irony. Thanks for the continued help, Cyrem. =D

Okay. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the game will keep teleporting in Pilot (default RR) but the rest of them will be auto-placed?

Almost. The game actually teleports the first rock raider type in the list, which by default is the pilot (MiniFigureTypes {...}). If you were to reorder the list, the first one in the list would be the one to teleport. This was proven in another topic where drivers were teleported instead of pilots.

Okay. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the game will keep teleporting in Pilot (default RR) but the rest of them will be auto-placed?

Almost. The game actually teleports the first rock raider type in the list, which by default is the pilot (MiniFigureTypes {...}). If you were to reorder the list, the first one in the list would be the one to teleport. This was proven in another topic where drivers were teleported instead of pilots.

Ahh, that's cool. Opens up many possibilities. If one of the presets were to die, can they come back? Also, still need help with modding in multiple minifigures. Can you help? I've been trying since I started modding and it is SO unsuccessful.

1. Opens up many possibilities.

2. If one of the presets were to die, can they come back?

3. Also, still need help with modding in multiple minifigures.

4. Can you help?

5. I've been trying since I started modding and it is SO unsuccessful.

1. Orly? I don't see much potential use of changing which RR is teleported; you'll always have the same problem of only being able to teleport one RR.

2. If you restart the level :P

3. The cfg lists directories and file names for just about everything you see in the game. (I haven't gone back and looked at the topic on the mod) Go find every instance of "pilot" and replicate the entries and rename them to w/e the other RR's type is, and change the directories and file names appropriately. Then add the RR to each level you want them in through the levels' ol files.

4. I try when I can. ;)

5. We all get that feeling. We want to teleport multiple raider classes at once, we want soil wall types to work properly, we want multiple attack animations for monsters, etc; I could go on and on about a lot of deadends we've run into.... and that's why we have ORR now. :af:

1. Well, you could have presets be something like super heroes and then teleport down minions? Seems like a joyous idea. :)

2. -.- freaking hard coding preventing me from having multiple RR types teleported...

3. I'm getting help with all that if I remember properly. ;)

4. I noticed. :)

5. ORR huh? Haven't tried it yet. Once V4 comes out, I'm planning to download it and give it a whirl. Is it easier to map edit and everything on ORR? What all does it do?

2. -.- freaking hard coding preventing me from having multiple RR types teleported...

I feel your pain. I was so frustrated when I had to call it "hard-coded"...

Isn't there a way to crack hard-coding though? It sounds like it's just stronger, tighter, and more technical coding that is on the disk itself. Just import and extract? Isn't there some sort of program out there?

ORR huh? Haven't tried it yet. Once V4 comes out, I'm planning to download it and give it a whirl. Is it easier to map edit and everything on ORR? What all does it do?

Umm... I have no idea lol. I haven't actually paid much attention to ORR for a while, but all the source code is available... but as everything is in the developement, there aren't any user friendly tools for modding it other than your standard/professional developer tools.

Isn't there a way to crack hard-coding though? It sounds like it's just stronger, tighter, and more technical coding that is on the disk itself. Just import and extract? Isn't there some sort of program out there?

It's not on the disk, it's on the exe (or icd, depending on your version of LRR). When you write the source code (code you can interpret and understand) for a game engine, you must compile it into machine code before it can be used (well... efficiently). Machine code is what you find if you open up an executable program in notepad or a hexeditor. Machine code is the simplest/smallest amount of characters/code that the computer can still interpret, but we can't.... which is why it's called hard code.

If we really really wanted to change the machine code, we would have to decompile the exe. The problem is we can't reproduce the source code from the hard code, as a lot of unneeded bits of the source code is omitted when compiled into the machine code. Extreme is our leading expert in decompiling the exe... but he only did so that we could find other variables we could use that might not exist in the released version of the cfg. Last I checked, the list Extreme produced hasn't been completely sorted.

Nope, it's in binary. You'd need to understand how Binary/Hex works and manually edit the file, technically without knowing what you're doing, to get some result. It's a long, un-appreciated process.

Oh god... Binary... You mean a lot of zeros and ones right? Or they could do X and O coding.

No, they code in Hex. That is 1 2 3 4 5 6 A B C D E F.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.