Ready To Move To The Next Level Of Modding?

McJobless

Well, yes, LegoRR for PC is well known, well tread, well discovered. I think it's time we finally moved to PS1.

Emulators exist for a reason, and I think it might be the perfect time to actually start working in the unknown, and make a couple of PS1 mods as a proof of our skills as modders.

As far as I know, we have the tools to extract the PS1 games files, and Cyrem's map editor can read the geometry from the map files. This is much better than what Cyrem had to start with when he was able to reverse engineer the wad files and start this site.

If you're interested, don't just comment. Get an emulator, get a copy of LRR PS1 and get your .iso, extract it, make some mods, recompile your .iso and upload a gameplay clip to youtube.

See you guys on the other side.

You know we don't have a PWP compiler yet, right? Unless we can make a Data method for LRRPS1, level mods won't be happening anytime soon. However, Lair and I are researching some things I found a few weeks ago that might not even need a PWP compiler at all... but nothing is certain yet.

However, Lair and I are researching some things I found a few weeks ago that might not even need a PWP compiler at all... but nothing is certain yet.

If that works, you two save me the trouble of getting off my lazy butt and finishing my pwp compiler ;P

Erm...Mind imparting this research unto the rest of us?

Does it involve the data method?

Erm...Mind imparting this research unto the rest of us?

Does it involve the data method?

Unless we can make a Data method for LRRPS1, level mods won't be happening anytime soon.

PFFFFFFFT

The issue now is not PWP compilers but a program that can make PS1 disk images that can actually be read by a PS1.

How did I miss reading that?

...Wonder what there could be besides the data method, as Cirevam is implying there's another possible method.

The issue now is not PWP compilers but a program that can make PS1 disk images that can actually be read by a PS1.

Unless you are speaking about chipped PS1s (in which case, you just do the normal PS1 compile method), then this is never going to happen. As far as I know, Cyrem is the only one here who has a Dev PS1 which can play burnt discs; all other discs have a security sector and some patches which are too difficult to re-create.

Just make them for an emulator; 90%+ support custom PS1 games.

Lair was referring to PS1 emalulators.

Ah, well in that case, that's simple. I can write up a tutorial if you need it.

Please do. We can't complete any modding without compiling a new ISO, even if we do get a PWP compiler. I really hope we do soon because I have doubts that injecting files into the PWP (which I am attempting) will not work as planned if PWP is so similar to WAD. Cuz, you know, filesize crap in the WAD header.

Please do. We can't complete any modding without compiling a new ISO, even if we do get a PWP compiler. I really hope we do soon because I have doubts that injecting files into the PWP (which I am attempting) will not work as planned if PWP is so similar to WAD. Cuz, you know, filesize crap in the WAD header.

I'm just waiting on my copy of the LRR disc to arrive from my friend, which should be after my lunchtime today. Then, I'll check if it has a security sector and whatnot, and then write up the complication tutorial and hopefully even have a very small mod uploaded to youtube.

Yes, there's that same filesize limitation.

Unless PWAD stands for Perverted WAD thus implying nothing is as it seems.

Right guys, this is the situation at hand.

438.jpg

Firstly, all the emulators have problems running .iso over .bin, therefore always use .bin where possible. Secondly, something is seriously wrong. Even using my...ahem..."special tools", the emulators actively reject the discs, and won't run. It's weird...then again, I've never tried modifying the files like this before.

HOWEVER, there is evidence to support that the data method will work in theory. Multiple lines in both PS1 Executable files which state stuff like "DATA", "Data", "PWP" as well as a full file-list for all the files in the game. Yes, this means that it could also be busted because of the file-list, but I'm willing to bet my money that any files you add would work anyway.

So yeah, if we can find a way to get these .bin files to compile, then we'll be on to a winner. Hopefully...

Funny, both Lair and me had problems getting the emalulators to use the ISOs we made. As in, we didn't get them to use them at all. All we did was ISO the original files.

Funny, both Lair and me had problems getting the emalulators to use the ISOs we made. As in, we didn't get them to use them at all. All we did was ISO the original files.

Yeah, that won't ever work. The discs are of a slightly modified format. The tools I was using was Sony's own PS1/PS2 disc generator, which then created a .bin file for me. Unfortunately, it seems to have back-fired and the emulators, which I think are built for specific games and not emulator all parts of the console (homebrew games on a modchip) reject it entirely.

If it helps, none of the PS1 games I have are in ISO format. They're all either BINs with CUEs, or they're IMG files. Extreme, when you use that tool (link plz) does it also generate a CUE? If not, that may be why it's not working.

I've been having a look at this and i think you need to rip them as .bin files. I used imgburn to rip my PS1 cds and the ones that i did work. The one emulator i've tried so far (ePSXe) doesn't seem to run it. I keep getting a black screen.

It's when I try to run an ISO I made that contains PS1 RR's files. Unmodded. Modded is same results, but still. It dislikes custom ISOs apparently.

If it helps, none of the PS1 games I have are in ISO format. They're all either BINs with CUEs, or they're IMG files. Extreme, when you use that tool (link plz) does it also generate a CUE? If not, that may be why it's not working.

I have to use a custom tool to get into .iso, then convert it to .bin + .cue with another application.

Is that while trying to play a game (If so which one) or just trying to start it? Which version are you using? Have you had a look at the help page for ePSXe? http://www.epsxe.com/help.php

Trying to start it. I've tested on psX, ePSXe 1.6 + 1.7 and PSCX. Presumably, this:

It dislikes custom ISOs apparently.

We need to find a homebrew emulator first.

Have you tried it just by ripping it straight from the cd to the .bin file?

Yep. It's definitely a problem with homebrew games. I'm looking into the solution, though, and I think I may have come up with something...

Have you tried it just by ripping it straight from the cd to the .bin file?

Yep. It's definitely a problem with homebrew games. I'm looking into the solution, though, and I think I may have come up with something...

Really what? :) I also tried running LRR straight from the cd and it work in ePSXe. It just doesn't seem to like disc images.

Actually, I can run LRR from the ISO in ePSXe.

...Not on all my computers.

Laptops, none did it.

Old desktop didn't do it.

New desktop does it :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.