Submarine Titans Troubleshooting

Cyrem

If you are trying to run Submarine Titans on Windows Vista or Windows 7 you may encounter some issues running the game. These points below are some common issues you may have running the game or components of it.

Game Issues

Missing D3DRM.DLL Error

This file was included with old versions of DirectX. However it is not present with new versions. Download the file below and put it in the installation directory of Submarine Titans (which is usually "C:Program Files (x86)Submarine Titans" on newer machines.)

Download: http://rrubucket.s3....D3DRM_26640.zip

Game Doesn't Start or Switches back to Desktop

This is a common compatibility issue. Right click on the Submarine Titans shortcut that you use to start the game, then click 'Properties' from the menu. Navigate to the 'Compatibily' tab and set these settings:

• Run this program for: Windows XP(Service Pack 3)
  • Run in 256 Colours
  • Disable Visual Themes
  • Disable Desktop Composition
  • Run in this program as an administrator

Internal Error on Game Start

If you have set the compatibility settings above already, it's most likely this is being caused because the game can't initialise it's audio engine. Try updating your sound card drivers to the latest version.

Game Colours Messed Up

This problem can be quite annoying. To fix this problem, you need to kill 'explorer.exe' before running the game. You can do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Then go to the 'Processes' tab, find 'explorer.exe' and end the task. After you finished playing, start explorer again by going to the Task Manager again and click on the 'New Task' button on the 'Applications' tab and type in 'explorer.exe'.

If you are going to play the game often it's quite an irritating process. However you can make the process more automated by using a bat file. If have supplied the file to do this below. Put this bat file in the Submarine Titans installation directory(where you may have put the d3drm.dll file earlier). By double clicking on the bat file, it should kill explorer, start the game, then restart explorer. You may want to create a shortcut to that file for easier access.

Download: http://rrubucket.s3....sBat_268765.zip

Cannot Connect to FSGS

Unfortunately the official servers are no longer running for this. You can however download the software and start a private server. More information on how to do that is explained below.

Mouse Lagging on FSGS Login Screen

This simplest way to get better performance on those screens is to disable the animated menu. You can do this by starting the Submarine Titans Configuration program "STConfig.exe" then navigating to the 'Configuration' tab and disable the 'Animated main menu'.

Scenario Editor Issues

Error Opening Database / Map Doesn't show

The program needs to be run in administrator mode. Go to the installation directory of Submarine Titans and right click on 'STEditor.exe' and select 'Properties' from the menu.Go to the 'Compatibility' tab and check the box that says 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Creating a FSGS Server

While the main FSGS server and tracker is no longer, you can still create your own server to for people to host games on. While it does work, it certainly isn't 100% functional as it used to be. Here is a guide on how to setup your.

Step 1

You will need to install the old FSGS server software. Download here:

Step 2

Go into your installation directory of FSGS, right click on 'FSGS.exe' and select properties. Next switch to the 'Compatibility' tab an turn on "Run this as an Administrator".

Step 3

Now start FSGS and make sure your firewall is allowing the program to connect to the internet.

Step 4

Submarine Titans allowed people to create user accounts within the game. However this does not work anymore. You will need to manually create the user accounts. To do this click on 'Players' then 'Create Player'. Then type in a username and password.

Step 5

Make sure Submarine Titans has been updated to v1.1 with the official patch:

Step 6

In your Submarine Titans installation folder there is a configuration program named 'STConfig.exe'. Start this and click on the "Extra" tab. At the bottom there is a section called 'FSGS server'. Inside the input box put '127.0.0.1' if you are running the server software on the same computer. If you are connection from a different computer it will need to be the IP address of the computer you are connecting to. All users who want to play on your server will also need to set this.

Step 7

Start Submarine Titans, click 'Network Game' on the menu and join the FSGS server. If you don't get to the user login page, revise the previous steps or check your firewall settings.

Step 8

Login with the user credentials you created earlier. That concludes the steps.

Important

Every user that wants to join a game on your server will need to change their FSGS server IP to your IP so their computer can connect to your server. You will also need to have created a user so they can login.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

On the off chance that anyone is still looking at this post.

I just bought a copy of Submarine Titans off of Amazon (woot) and I'm having trouble getting the game running.

I followed the OP's steps and have set the compatibility mode and added D3DRM.dll to the file path, that all works great, but when I try to start the game, it crashes to desktop and gives me the generic 

"ST.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

Blah blah blah.

I've updated my sound card drivers (it's an integrated card) and gotten the same error, it isn't an internal error like was mentioned so I'm sort of stumped with where to go, after searching on google for a couple hours I've come up with nada.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Event viewer says that the problem is with "ntdll.dll" which basically means it's a compatibility error.

Thoughts?

On the off chance that anyone is still looking at this post.

I just bought a copy of Submarine Titans off of Amazon (woot) and I'm having trouble getting the game running.

I followed the OP's steps and have set the compatibility mode and added D3DRM.dll to the file path, that all works great, but when I try to start the game, it crashes to desktop and gives me the generic 

"ST.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

Blah blah blah.

I've updated my sound card drivers (it's an integrated card) and gotten the same error, it isn't an internal error like was mentioned so I'm sort of stumped with where to go, after searching on google for a couple hours I've come up with nada.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Event viewer says that the problem is with "ntdll.dll" which basically means it's a compatibility error.

Thoughts?

I'm running the same system so i'm not really sure of what the problem may be.

There was a 1.1 patch released, give it a go: http://subtitan.com/files/SubTitans_Patchv1.1.zip

• 1 year later...

did all above but  cant  use   run service pack 3 on vista and on service pack 2   dont work at all used   95 and  98  insted game runs  menu  is ok  but when  i start plaing   i got instant laggg problem    its like 1-2 fps  no ideea how to solve the problem  have the same  about  other old games meybe not instant in the others  but after few secounds game starts  laging in  kknd crosfire its not  the  hardware problem cous  skyrim /unreal/starcraft 2 works fine :D looked  aat gogle for som solution but   im stiupid or there is no solution  :/ 

can  enyone   tell me  nice  emulator of older   windows  that   submarine titans works perfect on my cant make it run like   it supoust  to on  myn  evry time i klick   left  buton  mouse cursor skips towards   right side:D  have so much problems on this game   but would gladly paly it again

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I am not able to fix the colors problem on Windows 7. I have tried w7dd, palette stealer, direct draw tool. and using a BAT file. Nothing worked. 

How do you run Win 98 games best on Win 7? Is it possible to emulate somehow?

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm trying to create my own server for the game so my brother and I can play together. I got everything working fine, but I just can't figure out how to manualy create a user account. I have no idea where the "create player" option was. Is that an option inside of the FSGS software or inside the actual game? Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.