Typhoon Os

IceHusky

(Note: The OS's name has been changed to OSGOS. Typhoon will be incorporated into OSGOS.)

OSGOS:

The Open Source Generic Operating System.

Typhoon

Have you ever been mad at an OS because it doesn't do what you want, or because it lacks customization? Have you sat at a customization screen for hours selecting settings, and everything just "sucks"?

Well, OSGOS's main subject is customization. Typhoon will provide this. On first use, you will take a small survey to analyze your personality. It would be around 5 minutes long. Then you would plug in a USB stick or a CD, and your personality type and settings will be transferred over to the "Personality Disc" which you can carry around or leave in your computer. Settings not matching your personality? Change them through the settings panel. You may also send the data anonymously to me to implement in.

Rollout will have to be huge. But with computers with OSGOS, or an unconfirmed Windows edition running in the background, you can use the Personality Disc on those computers as well. Just plug it in and the computer will immediately change to your specific setting. No hassles, no timewasting, no confusing errors. Just immediate change. No plans for Typhoon on other OSes as of now.

Typhoon Survey:

OSGOS will include many other options, many of which I cannot disclose. But I am also working on Home Control (Via X10) and Voice Commands.

Suggestions or comments are welcome.

lol username

Yeah, but can it run Crysis?

:P

Anyways, jokes aside, the concept does actually sound pretty interesting.

I have a concept OS based around a C++ Universal auto-compiler. With out a shell, it is command line only. With a shell, the possiblities are endless. And it can emulate any OS that ever existed and chanege its appearence without restarts.

But I must remake the autocomplier first. From scratch.

This sounds like making a custom theme in Windows and being able to run the theme from a removable drive, but much deeper and completely seamless. You have piqued my interest, sir.

I like this idea too. My dream OS would be nothing but a bare-bones hardware abstraction layer and a minimalistic GUI with a basic file browser. (I find DOS a bit arcane when it comes to file browsing) Thus, you run a program with more than 90% of the computer's free resources.

I like this idea too. My dream OS would be nothing but a bare-bones hardware abstraction layer and a minimalistic GUI with a basic file browser. (I find DOS a bit arcane when it comes to file browsing) Thus, you run a program with more than 90% of the computer's free resources.

This may be included as one of the GUIs for a personality type. Thanks for the suggestion! Well, if it was one anyway :P

OSGOS will include many other options, many of which I cannot disclose.

Why is it open source then?

Also, use linux. Don't bother programming the kernel from scratch, it's a horrible waste of time - you have very little to gain by doing it. Plus, that way a huge amount of software will already work on it.

Have you done anything at all in terms of actual coding/producing stuff? Because this sounds like an awesome idea for a desktop environment (as opposed to horrible old GNOME which deliberately removes configurability for the sake of user-friendliness).

Don't discourage him TOO much, even though you have a point. Maybe his kernel will be better... (please note that anything said after 10:119 PM is bordering on bulls***. this is a borderline post, disregard if necessary. )

Don't discourage him TOO much, even though you have a point. Maybe his kernel will be better...

He never said if he would or wouldn't program his own kernel. All I'm saying is it'd be better to use linux because otherwise he would be reinventing the wheel, taking ages and ages for it (do you know how much low-level programming a kernel takes?) and making yet another platform programs would have to be compiled separately for.

Minifig9292

I appear to be rather enthralled by this idea.

Allow me to simply sit back and stare at you until it gets into a more tangible state.

*Stare*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.