Play With No Disk

Snelk

Hey everyone, so I was wondering if it was possible to run Rock Raiders without the disk. I have seen people talking about it on the internet but there are very few actual solutions and the ones that I did find do not work. I have tried making an iso of my disk but I received a cyclic error from one of two programs I tried and the other one took and one and a half hours to make it. So I mounted this disk image and received a no disk error. I also tried a no-cd fix from game copy world which resulted in the immediate crash of the game. I ask this because I have a laptop which I take everywhere with me and I just hate having to drag a disk case around with me wherever I go so if anyone has any info that would be great, thanks.

Game: Original 95/98 version

Programs used: Format factory(failed to make iso), MagicDisk (used to make iso and mount)

Well, if you already have the game installed: The answer is...

Play the game without the disc!

It requires nothing and results only in no movies or music.

And welcome to RRU!

Hmmmm.... doesn't seem to be working I receive a "cannot locate CD-ROM" error no matter where I start it from, and thanks for the welcome Lair, nice to be here. :)

The said error is likely caused by using a shortcut with -best on the end of the target string...

Although my version never yells at me, so I don't know..

Make a fresh installation from the ISO. That's what I had to do to make it work since I had the same error you have. I still play with the disk though.

How old is your copy of LRR? I think it has nothing to do with the shortcuts. I had an old copy of the game which would not let me play without a disk, however I purchased a new copy and it runs fine without the disc. I have found that in games that work without the disc, the 'Lego.icd' file is 0kb and the actual exe file is bigger then the exe that won't run without the disc.

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for trying guys but I think that Cyrem's got it. I got my copy back when it first came out so yeah it's pretty damn old so that is probably it. Also the "lego.icd" file is 720 kb so... Anyway it looks like I will have to get a newer copy. And thanks Cyrem it's good to be here ^^.

You can try using the program magicDisk. It is freeware, can convert a cd to a single image file that can then be mounted onto a virtual drive by the program and run. It is great for backing up all your disks. DVD's as well.

Yeah, but is it free? Magic disk is and it works perfectly. I have no problems with it and you can have up to 15 virtual drives going at the same time.

alcohal IS free and my dad was a master at flash in my childhood and he uses it in THIS time

hes used it SINCE then. SO TAKE THAT MAGICDISK!

Game: Original 95/98 version

Programs used: Format factory(failed to make iso), MagicDisk (used to make iso and mount)

*cough* *cough*

i play it on a laptop and it runs fine without the disc. the only downside is no music. i have vsp2 so i run it with admin priv. i also used a hex editor to remove the safedisc problem on the disc that happens on vsp2. i use the later 2nd version. i put all the avis on HDD in avi folder. runs great. i only recieved the no disc error once and hit continue. never had a problem with it since.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.