Rock Raiders Disappearing

Mightylegion

How much was allocated to LRR? There's a line in the Lego.CFG file that determines how much memory the game is allowed to use. It's TextureUsage, and by default it allocates 32 MB. If you turn it up you can teleport in more raiders and the game runs more smoothly overall. In fact, I was playing a mostly vanilla setup last night and my raiders started to show signs of idleness syndrome. That might have had to do with how I didn't change TextureUsage for that setup since it rarely ever happens in my modded games.

Reading through this thread, the whole issue might actually be an unintended effect of an intended part of the game's code, where the game might despawn entities (read: Raiders, Monsters, Vehicles, Resource Objects, maybe Buildings?) if the RAM allocation can't handle the amount of onscreen objects. I've seen other games do similar things, though I myself haven't encountered this Glitch/Bug/Issue.

How much was allocated to LRR? There's a line in the Lego.CFG file that determines how much memory the game is allowed to use. It's TextureUsage, and by default it allocates 32 MB. If you turn it up you can teleport in more raiders and the game runs more smoothly overall. In fact, I was playing a mostly vanilla setup last night and my raiders started to show signs of idleness syndrome. That might have had to do with how I didn't change TextureUsage for that setup since it rarely ever happens in my modded games.

Reading through this thread, the whole issue might actually be an unintended effect of an intended part of the game's code, where the game might despawn entities (read: Raiders, Monsters, Vehicles, Resource Objects, maybe Buildings?) if the RAM allocation can't handle the amount of onscreen objects. I've seen other games do similar things, though I myself haven't encountered this Glitch/Bug/Issue.

It's interesting that you both brought that up, as I vaguely recall playing with the lego.cfg file a long time ago. I think I may have increased the amount, but I will definetely give it a try again, if it means better performance and reliability.

If anyone is familiar with the windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, I noticed that in the profile for Lego Rock Raiders, there was a compatibility fix for it with something like "stack/heap compatibility", which had something to do with emulating how windows 9x performed memory management. I haven't applied that fix yet, although I think I will also give it a try to see if there is any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.