Gdb

SeppleBebo

SeppleBebo

I only reecently discovered this community - and first I want to say thanks to whoever figured out how to extract sound!

Anyway on with the topic. It seems the GDB file is just a 3D model to me. For example in

\GAMEDATA\RACEC3R0\RRTRACK.GDB is:

'............mat95.rrcelgn2.rrpanel3.rrcwndow.rrpanel2.rrpanel4.rrcelng.rrwind2.rrarch.adnubint.rrroad.ffwind2.checker.rrtringl.rrylwarw.rrroady.rrlite4.rrlite8..*..o..................ª.... Ã..þÂ.. A....

followed by a load of what I expect are vertice locations etc

This looks to me like a 3D format material listing. Perhaps by comparing this to other formats we might find a way to import them?

Just a thought.

• 4 months later...

What format have you converted it to, to do the 3D view?

I wrote the entire renderer from scratch, it's just a DirectX3D view that I'm feeding coloured points to.

What format have you converted it to, to do the 3D view?

I wrote the entire renderer from scratch, it's just a DirectX3D view that I'm feeding coloured points to.

Oh even better. Good work.

I've got code which parses the points perfectly, and the poly definitions noticeably imperfectly. I haven't actually figured out the poly format yet.

Wow. Just plain wow. I hope that this will eventually be able to edit or export / import tracks.

Well once it's done. If he wrote an converter to a popular 3D model format you could model the track in your own 3D tools. Which is more practical then him building a whole 3D editor just for this.

If he wrote an converter to a popular 3D model format you could model the track in your own 3D tools.

I wouldn't put it past being converted to .obj.

• 3 weeks later...

Since origamiguy has up and vanished, I think I will update everyone on his progress.

He uploaded this on the 17th. Basically he rewrote the camera code so now he can fly around the track, and he is now able to import the PWB files and see where all the power up are on each track.

That is his newest video. I am in the dark just as much as you guys now about the GDB files.

So now we can see the maps AND powerups.

lol knigmareathon.

Random note: It looks like the brown areas can have special substances applies (dirt, grass, water, etc.) while the grey areas are smooth roads.

I haven't vanished, I've just been focusing on University work. Midterm exams and such. I hope you understand.

The coloration of the surfaces is actually how the LR1 engine handles lighting. Since using surface normals is computationally expensive, the level geometry is static, and there are no moving lights in the game, the level geometry just specifies a constant pre-calculated 'tint' color for each vertex.

Since we haven't fully worked out the BMP format, I can't run textures on it, so I'm using the tinting instead.

lol knigmareathon.

Ah, the knightmare-athon GDB has a block in it that I haven't yet worked out. So I can't actually load that one :P

• 3 weeks later...

Since we haven't fully worked out the BMP format, I can't run textures on it, so I'm using the tinting instead.

Haha, ignore me.

Textures with high entropy aren't compressed. Because they're uncompressed, we're able to view them correctly. For example the grass/cliff textures.

Textures with low entropy are compressed, and because we don't know the algorithm yet they show up a bit glitchy. For example the wooden doors at the start of the track.

Where a texture is referenced by the GDB but cannot be found in the game files, my debug checkerboard pattern is visible.

Textures with high entropy aren't compressed. Because they're uncompressed, we're able to view them correctly. For example the grass/cliff textures.

Textures with low entropy are compressed, and because we don't know the algorithm yet they show up a bit glitchy. For example the wooden doors at the start of the track.

Where a texture is referenced by the GDB but cannot be found in the game files, my debug checkerboard pattern is visible.

This is just fantastic...and seeing as I got my brother to cough up the one copy of LEGO Racers we have, it's good timing too. Nice work man.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.