Defence Of The Creepers

bartvbl

Right. So for those of you that play minecraft; our time has come to finally extinguish the continuing threat of the explodables; the creepers.

See here a little game I wrote for a university project which is meant to do exactly that. Have fun with it!

I have no idea if it will run on linux or mac, since I have only tested it on windows. I included teh native libraries of all platforms anyway :)

download link

controls:

- arrow keys: move camera

- right mouse button: rotate camera

- mouse wheel: zoom

- click on a tower icon to place a tower on the map. A laser tower costs 100 gold, a rocket tower 150.

It's not bad for a start. I wish I could zoom out (unless you already have that and I missed it). One thing I noticed is that the creepers don't get stronger very quickly, which makes it easy to fill the entire map with laser cannons. I didn't find the missile towers to be particularly effective since the projectiles disappeared if the target enemy disappeared. This makes them useful alone, but worthless in groups.

It's not bad for a start. I wish I could zoom out (unless you already have that and I missed it). One thing I noticed is that the creepers don't get stronger very quickly, which makes it easy to fill the entire map with laser cannons. I didn't find the missile towers to be particularly effective since the projectiles disappeared if the target enemy disappeared. This makes them useful alone, but worthless in groups.

zooming is the middle mouse button

The whole point of the game is to be easy. You'll come to a point where the creepers become far too strong, and in the end you'll always loose due to running out of space for towers.. We haven't even added a win scenario at all. After all, creepers will always respawn.. *har har*

The rocket towers were.. well.. implemented on the day before the deadline :P They are indeed a bit ineffective for their cost. The rockets will also disappear when the target gets out of range. Fun fact: when the creepers are urnning fast enough, and a rocket turret will shoot a missile at a creeper running straight towards the tower, the rocket will actually fly backwards for a very small amount of time :P

Fluffy Cupcake

From the title of the topic, I thought the creepers would of been on our side.

Edit: I got 315 creepers.

314 down, despite having lost 11 lives trying to figure out the controls.

woops.. forgot :P

I wrote them down on the top of the post

Fluffy Cupcake

314 down, despite having lost 11 lives trying to figure out the controls.

It took one whole round of creepers for me to figure out the controls. I was also trying to place the towers on the creeper's path.

I got 336 with my custom map with only laserz.

I have the high score so far.

Yes it does count as a score because I am sure you all had the same ideas as me to get the high score.

Although I don't think the game can handle a map that isn't 10x10 so I did use the original dimensions for the map.

I think the max score you can get is actually 336.

So woot, HIGH SCORE Britches!!!

:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

Addictgamer

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)

at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1681)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:840)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1047)

at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:82)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:99)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:130)

at dotc.GameMain.initialize(GameMain.java:86)

at DotC.main(DotC.java:7)

... 5 more

What I get in Linux. Apparently I need lwjgl. Edit: Installed that.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)

at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.lwjgl.DefaultSysImplementation.getPointerSize()I

at org.lwjgl.DefaultSysImplementation.getPointerSize(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:100)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:130)

at dotc.GameMain.initialize(GameMain.java:86)

at DotC.main(DotC.java:7)

... 5 more

:|

I killed 310 creepers.

Is it possible to mod this game?

Apart from the map, models and textures, not really. We didn't really have time to do things like that "properly", so quite a few things are hardcoded in there.

ps: little challenge: try to get over 10 000 gold using the default map :P

I got 336 with my custom map with only laserz.

I have the high score so far.

Yes it does count as a score because I am sure you all had the same ideas as me to get the high score.

Although I don't think the game can handle a map that isn't 10x10 so I did use the original dimensions for the map.

I think the max score you can get is actually 336.

So woot, HIGH SCORE Britches!!!

:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

316, beat that sonic

Failure to read post by CTXXTC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.