Scans Of The Books

Antillies

Recently on the wiki we've been having some conversations about how canon some statements were in the character bios. Because the main sources of canon are the games and cards from the mini-figure sets are not all that illuminating, we were wondering if someone who has the books would be willing to scan them so we might have access to that information. The books are "High Adventure, Deep Underground", "Race for Survival", and "Save the Spaceship." (More info here.) I don't know if there might be any copyright issues involved in uploading them, but we'd urge caution if anyone who'd be willing to do this has any concerns.

Thanks.

I already discussed this with Cyrem.

As for books, they are copyrighted and so It would be illegal I believe to upload an entire book. Thats why I have ever only uploaded 1 or 2 pages out of some.

Also, the cards are NOT mainline canon; They're nothing more than factoids.

I think what antillies is implying is that he wants to see scans of the book, and that even though it's probably illegal to upload all of the books, it would be nice to see more than a few pages. I did surf the world wide web to see if anyone had scanned the books, but I didn't see anything. It is a bit of a shame though. I don't think LEGO is making money off of the three books anymore, but due to copyright crap we can't see them because somehow, in some alternate universe where revenue from aftermarket sales go to the company that made the product, it will negatively affect LEGO. Especially since they just retired Power Miners.

I think what antillies is implying is that he wants to see scans of the book, and that even though it's probably illegal to upload all of the books...

Sort of. I absolutely don't mean to suggest doing something illegal, so please don't. I actually had two of the books at some point but I can't find them anymore, so I guess I just meant it would be nice to look through them again.

Are there things on the wiki that you have to log in to see?

Because what we could do is:

1. Scan the pages
  2. Post the first 2 under the header "[book Name] preview."
  3. Hide the other pages.
  4. Log in needed to view the rest.
Lupe-hole exploited.

Or not.

1. Scan the pages
  3. Hide the other pages.
Lupe-hole exploited.

Or not.

I'd do that, except wiki doesn't allow hidden pages...[/lie]

You'd need to find someone who'd

1. Upload them, knowing it's illegal.
  2. Create a hidden page on the wiki accessable to members (I think Hidden Pages are actually only avaliable to Administrator Profiles...) for them to go

Good luck with that.

1. Scan the pages
  3. Hide the other pages.
Lupe-hole exploited.

Or not.

I'd do that, except wiki doesn't allow hidden pages...[/lie]

You'd need to find someone who'd

1. Upload them, knowing it's illegal.
  2. Create a hidden page on the wiki accessible to members (I think Hidden Pages are actually only available to Administrator Profiles...) for them to go
Good luck with that.

Interesting.

I wonder what the others will say.

Are there any pages more interesting than others? Perhaps one with a passage where the chief tells about himself? Or is there an appendix with character descriptions? If that is the case it mightg be nice to have scans of those instead of uploading the whole book.

• 7 months later...

why not just make a program that scrambles the pages and unscrambles, upload the program and the scrambled pages, and then if you want to see them you download the program and the scrambled page, and unscramble it, i mean technicly that way you are not uploading copyright the actual pages right?

There is a program that does exactly that. I can't remember what it's called, but it scrambles parts of an image around in a way that can be undone if you do the same scrambling steps in reverse. I don't have a clue on what the legal issues would be like if we were to scramble the books and then upload them.

i just thought of it cause there is a command in vb that looks like it does that and i am working with vb, i have no idea but here i my logic, the image you are uploading is not the copyrighted material, and it it happens that when it is unscrambled it happens to be a lego image, idk to be honest im working on the fact that lego isn't going to bother working hard to enforce a copyright on something they haven't made money on since before the turn of the century

I wanted to point out that in Australia, we have a rule for school students and teachers who want to copy book material. It basically states that if the book is over 10 pages, you can copy 10% of it. I dunno if it just applies to school, though, and seeing as I'm not in the library right now, I can't verify if that was the exact statement.

why not just make a program that scrambles the pages and unscrambles, upload the program and the scrambled pages, and then if you want to see them you download the program and the scrambled page, and unscramble it, i mean technicly that way you are not uploading copyright the actual pages right?

Sounds a lot like encryption. Encrypted or not, still doesn't change the fact of what you doing is wrong ;)

Sounds a lot like encryption. Encrypted or not, still doesn't change the fact of what you doing is wrong ;)

Well, from a legal standpoint, this site is not in the right either. But I look at it this way, all things Rock Raider ended commerical production before Y2K. I highly doubt Lego or DDI is searching the internet for copyright infringment on things they no long make money on, and since we are not threatening their monetary gains, I don't think they will bother us if we use some creative liberty.....

Well, from a legal standpoint, this site is not in the right either. But I look at it this way, all things Rock Raider ended commerical production before Y2K. I highly doubt Lego or DDI is searching the internet for copyright infringment on things they no long make money on, and since we are not threatening their monetary gains, I don't think they will bother us if we use some creative liberty.....

LEGO is aware of RRU (from what I've read), and more over, if they did find it, we'd all be screwed, regardless of whether they are looking or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.