The Soleutator

The Soleutator

Map Name: EVERYONE PANIC!
Map Objective: Get out alive and collect 200 energy crystals
Difficulty: Medium-hard
Download Links: v1.0, v1.2

Notes:
This mission is designed to be a slightly more difficult sequel/replacement to Rocky Horror. As you may guess, it will replace Rocky Horror, but be sure to see the readme (included with file) for installation instructions.

This is my first official map, so I apologize if the map seems overwhelmingly large. It may take a while to get up and running, but if you focus on your objective, and read the full description and hints before starting, you will likely find a few tips that will help quicken things up.

Known Bugs:
-While moving through the first few caverns, there are a few potholes in the map, single squares that drop down a huge amount. I'm not sure what causes this, and I've checked and double-checked the heightmap, even raising it up a bit just in case, but the issue remains. Fortunately, it doesn't affect gameplay, and you'll forget about it after a while (trust me).
-Your rock raiders may stop working at some point. If this occurs, try letting your rock raiders out of their vehicles; this solved the issue for me.
-To avoid the same issue as above, try not to have operations or tasks going on on both sides of the river at once; it seems to cause issues with getting commands carried out.

Backstory/Official Objective:
After collecting our last 50 energy crystals, another disaster struck! As we were teleporting Rock Raider HQ out of what should have been our last mission, the sudden gravitational disturbance caused a chain reaction of seismic activity in the area to occur. The LMS teleporter became overloaded, causing most of Rock Raider HQ to be mis-teleported, and scattered around nearby caverns. Fortunately, all rock raiders were accounted for, but are now in great danger. The seismic disturbances caused a long-dormant volcano to erupt nearby, which is quickly engulfing the area. We are frantically trying to repair our teleporter, and simply cannot risk teleporting them out, lest they end up in even greater danger.

Scanners show that there is an elevated area to the east. This is our best bet if we wish to survive. Get to this higher ground as quick as possible, while salvaging as many energy crystals as you can, as the safe zone to the east has relatively few energy crystals

Once an initial escape is made, build a support station immediately, and then build up base defenses. Once you have done this, you must collect 100 energy crystals. Unfortunately, the area you will be building your base in has relatively few energy crystals, and you will not be able to complete the mission with the crystals in this area. The good news is that there is an area rich in energy crystals to the southwest, across the river.

Be careful down there, rock raider! There's no telling where else the volcano may have erupted, and our scanners have been having difficulty detecting where it lies. Be ready to evacuate a cavern immediately if you accidentally drill through a wall holding back a river of lava. Scanners have also picked up signs of rock monsters in the area, probably trying to escape the volcano. Watch your back at all times.

Edited by Slimy Slug
  • Like 3

The Soleutator

V 1.1 added. It contains a few minor changes to the lava and energy crystal/ore placement. Probably only worth downloading if you haven't played before, or wish to play again.

• 2 weeks later...

Welll I'm amazed that no-one else seems to have reviewed/even played your level, which is a shame, as it's a very well-designed level. Usually when I review levels, I have lots to say, as there always seems to be things that annoy me/could be better. However with this level, I struggled to find things to complain about. :lol:

In fact, the only thing I think could be improved is the monsters. They weren't really a threat to me, and I only saw one emerging once. (I could also easily dispatch of sleeping monsters before they awoke). Having looked at your map in the map creator after completion of the level, I see that you did place a lot of triggers/emerges around, but I didn't seem to be walking over the right spots. I would add things like a wall of triggers, to make sure monsters emerge when you want them to.

However, things I liked:

• Threat of fast lava erosion. This made me very cautious going into new caverns, and I would always make sure I collected all energy crystals before moving on. (Using the radar with geologists did help me a lot here, so without it would've been a lot more difficult/risky.) You did catch me in one instance though, and ended up sacrificing a chrome crusher because of it. :P
  • Having a storyline. The way that you were able to incorporate a story into the design of the level shows that you put a lot of thought into it (which deserves to be recognised).
  • Good design aesthetics. (i.e the way that the caverns were all different, and weren't just straight-sided rectangles.)
  • Distribution of resources. The scarcity of crystals at the start added to the difficulty, and it did take awhile to build up my base/vehicles.
  • Base reconstruction. Having to rebuild your base on the other side of the river later on in the mission added to the variety (although was a bit easy when you already have 700 ore ;) ).

(There were other little things that I also liked, but I can't remember all of those, so I've just listed the good main concepts.)

So overall, an excellent custom map, and probably one of the best I've ever played due to its originality and relative difficulty. Wouldn't be as fun/difficult if I played it again, but the first time playing experience was well worth it. Well done! :D

~Matt

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'll be sure to try out your level once I'm better at this modding nonsense. :) PM me if you make new maps. I'll be looking forward to trying them all.

• 8 months later...
OvenTrooper

Yo Soleutator! Had a go at this yesterday - frickin' impossible. Is the lava supposed to erode that quickly? I got to the water, but then I got stuck. Did I do something wrong? Other than that, it's a great design.

• 1 month later...

Uh, the lava erodes WAY to quickly to do anything. And it assumes your Rock Raiders are trained as drivers, which mine weren't.

Why is the Crusher even there? It just dies in the first few minutes.

EDIT: Did a LP of this map, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-i5YQ3pnaE

I lost ;_;

That was quite hilarious, good LP :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
OvenTrooper

I don't understand. How can this mission be done? There's no Tool Store, no way to collate all the resources. There's no way to cross the river... sorry, this is not doable. Running from unstoppable lava for about half an hour and then hitting a dead end in the form of a lake just baffled me.

The only way I can think of doing this mission is to slow the lava with values in the .cfg... but that defeats the purpose of the mission, right? I dunno...

• 8 months later...
The Soleutator

Ok, a few things. FIrst, after seeing the LP Lair of Rockwhales posted, I made a few changes to the map to hopefully cut down on some of the manual work that you need to do initially, and to hopefully reduce the number of ways the lava can completely and totally screw you. I also attempted to make monster interactions more meaningful by adding more triggers and emerge points, and tripling the rate at which they can appear in the .cfg file. Specifically, some changes include:

-created more escape routes if you find yourself trapped in a cavern full of lava

-attempted to make "safe zones" more obvious by increasing their elevation

-eliminated possibility of getting hopelessly trapped between water and lava (there is still some hope of completing the mission if this occurs)
-eliminated chrome crusher to avoid confusion

-started rock raiders in vehicles

-a few other little things to try to improve gameplay

I also recorded a LP of the full level, but it may be several weeks before I can release that (if I can at all). For now, a couple hints on how to start out:

-The lava is not unstoppable; hills stop the lava, so if you're on the high end of a hill, the lava will stop. Just take a deep breath, and move to a safe zone if you breach a wall holding back lava.
-If your rock raiders are in danger of being engulfed, and you have a way of producing more, teleport them out of there. That way, you will be able to reuse them.
-Remember, head straight east and you should be ok once you get to the higher ground (a bit higher than the lava-flooded tunnels)

-Build a base as soon as you get to the safety zone, and BRING ALL YOUR VEHICLES WITH YOU! If you don't collect the crystals from the seam just outside the safe zone before the lava engulfs that tunnel, you will probably need to sacrifice 1-3 vehicles to build a support station
-Build a support station as soon as you get to the safe zone!
-Once you get a tunnel scout or water-based vehicle to get across the water with, you can focus on collecting the 200 crystals the objective calls for

• 2 weeks later...

When ever I try to play it, the level crashes. The rest of the game is okay, 'cause it goes through the loading screen.

Code

Level25 {

FullName Everyone_Panic!!

EndGameAVI1 AVIoutro1.avi
EndGameAVI2 AVIoutro2.avi

AllowRename TRUE
RecallOLObjects TRUE
GenerateSpiders TRUE

DisableStartTeleport TRUE

Video Avimbats.avi

; Amount of time before an emerge trigger can be reused.  1500 specifies 1 minute.
EmergeTimeOut 1000.0

;;;;; SURFACE TYPE ;;;;;
BoulderAnimation Lava
MenuBMP LevelsGameLevelsLevel25.bmp,LevelsGameLevelsGLevel25.bmp,LevelsGameLevelsLevel25G.bmp
TextureSet Textures::Lava
RockFallStyle Lava
EmergeCreature Infernomonster
;;;;; SURFACE TYPE ;;;;;

BlockSize 40
DigDepth 40
RoughLevel 6
RoofHeight 40
UseRoof YES
SelBoxHeight 10
FogColourRGB 149:29:1 ;Lava Fog
HighFogColourRGB 190:60:0 ;Lava Fog
FogRate 20

BlockPointersMap       LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Tuto.map
CryoreMap LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Cror.map
SurfaceMap LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25High.map
PredugMap LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Dugg.map
TerrainMap LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Surf.map
      EmergeMap                                 LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Emrg.map
      PathMap                                   LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Path.map
      ErodeMap                                  LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Erod.map
      FallinMap                                 LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25Fall.map

SafeCaverns TRUE

OListFile LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel25ObjectList.ol
PTLFile LevelsGameLevelsLevel2525.ptl

NERPFile LevelsGameLevelsCustomLevel2525.npl
NERPMessageFile LevelsGameLevelsLevel2525.txt

ObjectiveText LanguagesObjectiveText.txt
ObjectiveImage640x480 InterfaceBriefingPanelBriefingPanel.bmp,76,100

ErodeTriggerTime .25
ErodeErodeTime .25
ErodeLockTime .25

OxygenRate 20

FrontEndX 163
FrontEndY 2096

Priorities {
AI_Priority_GetIn TRUE
AI_Priority_Crystal TRUE
AI_Priority_Construction TRUE
AI_Priority_Ore TRUE
AI_Priority_Clearing TRUE
AI_Priority_Destruction TRUE
AI_Priority_Repair TRUE
AI_Priority_Reinforce TRUE
AI_Priority_Recharge TRUE
}
Reward {
Enable TRUE
Modifier 5
Importance {
Crystals 50
Constructions 25
Oxygen 15
Timer 10
}
Quota {
Crystals 75
Constructions 6
Timer 7000
Caverns 6
}
}
}

When ever I try to play it, the level crashes. The rest of the game is okay, 'cause it goes through the loading screen.

Code

Level25 {

;;;;; SURFACE TYPE ;;;;;
BoulderAnimation Lava
MenuBMP LevelsGameLevelsLevel25.bmp,LevelsGameLevelsGLevel25.bmp,LevelsGameLevelsLevel25G.bmp
TextureSet Textures::Lava
RockFallStyle Lava
EmergeCreature Infernomonster
;;;;; SURFACE TYPE ;;;;;

ErodeTriggerTime .25
ErodeErodeTime .25
ErodeLockTime .25

}

Do you have the Infernomonster installed?

Why are there no "0"s in front of the .25s?

You should go through the cfg text to find such mistakes on your own!

Yes I did install the Inferno Monster, and the Seam Monster for that matter. I put a 0 before the .25s in the code, and I even capitalized the M in Monster. Still crashes.

FogColourRGB 149:29:1 ;Lava Fog HighFogColourRGB 190:60:0 ;Lava Fog

I forget, do these need two semicolons each or just one? 

It actually doesn't matter if they are both with semicolons because everything behind those is ignored by the game.  :x

Yes I did install the Inferno Monster, and the Seam Monster for that matter. I put a 0 before the .25s in the code, and I even capitalized the M in Monster. Still crashes.

I guess you also made sure that the folder CustomLevel25 is in the directory Levels/GameLevels/?

I'll check... * Rummages around in the levels folder*

Found the problem (I hope).

CustomLevel25 was inside a folder called "Everyone_Panic_1.2".

I'll test it.

EDIT: Yup that was the problem. How could I have been so foolish?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

EDIT: Thanks to The Soleutator for sending me copies of the three versions of the map!

Edited by Slimy Slug
Updated post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.