Ninjago

lol username

lol username

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sBF7jPwfw

Yeah, LEGO's going all-out with promotion for this theme. A movie, a video game (Which, BTW, probably isn't being made by TT Games - see the video description for why), and a ton of other stuff.

ninjagonews2.jpg

I think I know why it is popular (My first Ninjago video on YouTube is almost to 18,000 views in a few weeks). They took everything kids love these days - Ninjas, shiny weapons, skeleton armies, large vehicles, dragons, trading cards, tabletop battle games, video games, and movies - and rolled it all up into one big theme. It's not an attempt at rebooting the Classic Ninja theme. And it appears to be a success already, at least among the target audience. And you have to admit that a few of the sets really do have some good parts, and I even laughed a bit at the "Kai Takes To Training" movie clip. Also, you may say it's corny and kiddish... But really, is it any more corny and kiddish then LEGO Island? No, not really. LEGO Island had a kid flying a helicopter chucking pizzas at an insane criminal as he used a lazor to destroy all the buildings, and there were skeleton pirates on top of giant pizzas in an underground racetrack. Your thoughts?

Tauka Usanake

I am once again disappointed my LEGO... :( I'm glad that they are bringing back the ninjas, means the katanas are back and that the pirates will have someone to fight now. I don't like how they are moving away from Legolish, if that be a way of calling it, the LEGO language. To a point it might be better but only if you are trying to tell a story. Yet the main character to me seems to destroy any possible good voice acting. I'm guessing from the second clip that there is lots of magic too?

I don't like how they are moving away from Legolish, if that be a way of calling it, the LEGO language.

I have to agree, I do not like how they speak English. I much prefer the sounds they made before.

Well, the LMS crew speaks Engish. And grunt. And moan. And make other silly noises. Cheif seems to be the most fluent with english though. They do the same thing with Legoland. They all seem to speak English aside from the gardeners and mechanics. When I think of Legoish, Animal Crossing comes to mind with their mindless babbeling.

imperial officer

LEGO Island, one of the best (maybe the best) lego games, had voice acting. (Also, it was the first LEGO game, so you can't really say that we're moving away from gibberish. As far as video games are concerned, we're moving toward it)

Who cares about the language? If they speak in english, it's because they HAVE to talk (one sugar... or two? :P ). And English is the most comprehensible language.

And then, this is not so "ninja" as I thought: there are cars, general Grievous's brother, baby skeletons...

About the game: there will be a pc version?

I love how the Sensei said "Fail." while Kai was going through training. Very LOLworthy. His hair reminded me of Roxas from Kingdom Hearts, though.

And also, I actually prefer it when LEGO characters speak English, or whatever language is dominant in each country. I mean, sure, it's what LEGO does , but I think it's just rediculous.

And, I want to Wal-Mart today and got a Ninjago set, just because it's awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think it's another new lego fail theme. I mean really, I giant motorcycle with a skeleton driving it? And some sorta strange car-ish thing with treads like a tank!

It seems to be in the lego universe universe (the game thingy that almost all lego freaks play nowadays), so that would explain some of the ridiculousness.

I like how Lego is trying to bring back their old stuff, but I also don't at the same time.

I like it becuase it gives youngsters today something that's more creative and not a movie tie-in piece of crap.

I don't like how these are UBERGEARED towards little kids, I mean these commercials are kinda, well, lame as all hell.

I mean sure the Rock Raiders stuff was kinda like that looking back on it, but now this is just. . . uhg, I don't know the word for it.

Well it can't really get much worse, so let's all hope for the better here.

Oh and, has anybody else noticed how the Power-Miners just kinda disappeared from all the stores about 3 weeks ago?

I still never understood the hate towards them to be honest with you all.

I mean I was overjoyed to see them ATTEMPT to bring them back.

Sure they weren't the exact same, but I found it kinda nostalgic.

So today I was looking at a holiday catalog of 1999 and there was a two page spread on the original LEGO Ninja theme. I have to say, LEGO really messed up with this new NinjaGo. The old sets look amazing superior to the new theme. The old sets actually had a Chinese look to it and had substance, I mean... look at this: http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/6093-1 then compare it to NinjaGo's best set: http://ninjago.lego.com/en-us/Products/Models/Default.aspx#2505 . NinjaGo's is utter custom crap.... instead of horse you get unrealistic fantasy over-the-top vehicles like this: http://ninjago.lego.com/en-us/Products/Models/Default.aspx#2263 ... what is THAT? How is that even related to ninja's?

In the wise words of my dear Cookie Monster:

Once again LEGO pulls out another un-imaginative product. Soon enough we'll be buying pre-made models.

Why are you comparing it to the Ninja theme from 1999? Ninjago isn't meant to be anything like it, it's not a reboot.

• Like 1

Ninjago stole the tank from Exo Force that had tracks in the front and a big wheel in the back, then they stripped it of its armor and put a skull on the front. I believe that's the point that Cyrem is making: ninjas shouldn't have wacky vehicles like that. Technology is fine, but Lego is rehashing designs from other themes and making too many custom pieces. That's not only bad in the content of the themes, but it looks really lazy on Lego's part.

This is why I can't stand Lego now. It's not a building toy anymore. At least when I was young and an idiot I would build the model in the instructions, get tired of it, dismantle it, and sometimes build something else. Of course, now I have hardly any built models and several boxes of pieces, so maybe the joke's on me. However, with all of the late 80's-early 90's pieces I have, I can build old sets that I've never owned before, so what do I care what Lego does now? It does feel a bit surreal though... building something old that I've never owned before using some newer parts, but it's technically a new model to me.

Also, Ninjago takes place on it's own planet, not Earth. It has it's own creatures and locations, it's not meant to be realistic in any way.

Also, Ninjago takes place on it's own planet, not Earth. It has it's own creatures and locations, it's not meant to be realistic in any way.

Strange as Ninja's come from an Earthly culture... so you are definitely right about it being unrealistic. Consider also some similarities also, the main ninja (that red guy) was in the original Ninja theme as well as the old master.

I can relate to Cirevam. When I was young I was donated LEGO by others that had grown out of it. I still have the tubs today and there is next to no custom parts in there. It's the LEGO that can be put with anything and the LEGO that can BE! anything. Those days... are over. D:

I'd only buy Lego sets for the parts I eagly-eyed spotted in the guides they sent me (Lego Club Australia Member FTW whoop!) so I could complete a model which I'd be hastlily be spending my hours on while listing to the *gulps* Lion King soundtrack.

On the topic of Ninjago, more specificly the newer themes, I think Lego has suddenly stopped caring about being creative and started just worrying about getting something new on the field so they make some quick cash...how many themes have they recently just discarded and now created? Jeeze.

Point of the matter: Ninjago is going to be an average re-birth of an old series of cool lego sets. Nuff said.

Imma buy some more matchbox cars. (loljks)

I think lego's epic fail turning point was the release of those mars mission sets. First sets were like, meh, but then they got really stupid and I was like, what's up with all da special pieces? After that, it's all been downhill. *pulls out TNT* Where's lego HQ?

• 3 months later...
Devestater

:chief: :docs::jet::axle:Nijago is retarded and sucks. It lowers your IQ level and is the worst Lego theme ever. LEGO should stop making Ninjago as it is stupet and sucks. :bandit: .

Lego mars mission was th coolest and best lego set ever! LEgo should rerelease more Mars missin sets now! :chief::docs::axle: :sparks:

Ninjago is retarded and sucks. It lowers your IQ level and is the worst Lego theme ever. LEGO should stop making Ninjago as it is stupid and sucks.

Ninjago is pretty good considering most of the other sets they make now are movie related sets.

:chief::docs::jet::axle:Nijago is retarded and sucks. It lowers your IQ level and is the worst Lego theme ever. LEGO should stop making Ninjago as it is stupet and sucks. :bandit: .

Lego mars mission was th coolest and best lego set ever! LEgo should rerelease more Mars missin sets now! :chief::docs::axle::sparks:

While I agree with Mars Mission part, I find it odd that you hate Ninjago while you like Power Miners and Ben 10

Don't forget that they fight skeletons on motorbikes

Tauka Usanake

I only care for this set because it's bringing back the old lost ninja pieces. Sure I'm not a fan of needed a mask to to have a sword on my back, but the ninjas vs samurai back in the 1990s was a nice original set. So many bricks lost in those sets it seems...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.