Wow People! I Am Both Stunned And Impressed!

rrcoder

Edit: I remembered something. The cfg has a list of gui components that list hotkeys for them. For e.g, I could press B, then T, and then I could click where I want to place my new toolstore... but for some reason, these hotkeys don't work at all for any of them. There are debug keys however, which allow us to cheat lol, but they're not the same and we don't know what all of the debug keys do exactly
I believe these were added into the config just in case we later decided to add in shortcut key support, but that never happened. I'm sure there will be a few loose ends like this laying around; some that may be revived, some that may not.

Well that sucks...

... which brings me to the exe commands, but I think we've asked about this already: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/topic/954-legorrexe-command-line-parameters/

To fill a few gaps:

-fpslock = If I remember correctly, this is meant to lock the framerate to the monitor refresh rate when running in a window. (When running fullscreen this happens automatically, so this flag was meant to simulate that while we were debugging in a window).

-flags = This was meant to be followed with an integer to turn on certain debug features. I don't remember any of the numbers anymore (they were noted in the code, so I didn't have to commit any of them to memory at the time). If anyone has the patience, they could try various numbers (-flags 0... -flags 1... etc) to see if they still have any effect.

-startlevel = To save us time while developing, this would allow us to load directly into a level, rather than navigating through the main menu (handy when designing levels). I would assume I had used the level identifier (e.g. -startlevel Level10), however if this doesn't work an integer index would probably work.

-reduceimages = One of the performance optimizations... with this enabled, the texture sizes are halved at load time, reducing the memory overhead.

-reducepromeshes = Reduces the number of LOD meshes (again to reduce memory overhead).

-testercall = Oh dear... not sure if I should admit to this one... It was never, ever, ever meant to see the light of day. It has the same functionality as -testlevels, however just say it aloud quickly as one word. I shall say no more.

-window = In the non-final exes, this would force it to run in a window as well as disabling the startup resolution dialog (like -best does).

A typical set of arguments I would use during development/level designing would be:

-window -startlevel <some-level> -nosound

This would allow me to launch directly into a level, with no sound (reduced load-time), in a window (so I could debug any crashes in the debugger).

Have I told you you're awesome yet? lol Well the only thing you're off on is -window, it actually requires -best to launch. Otherwise it brings up the window asking you for what resolution/driver to use and whether or not you want it in window/fullscreen mode. I am going to make use of startlevel, fpslock, and flags though, so thank you so much. :D

4. I know you worked on the levels and so I was wondering if you could tell us as much about the file formats you used to make the levels as you can (If it isn't a hassle) and if you could explain anything about the oddities I had list for the game.

4. It's been a while, so I can't really remember the exact binary format of the files (although I think they have long-since been reverse engineered by some of your fellow members). Are there any specific oddities you're referring to?

Cyrem has done a pretty good job of reverse engineering the levels, but he hasn't completely figured out the .blx files for all the maps. We've googled the file extension and the header hexadecimals in the files and we can't find hardly anything, much less something relevant to what we need to know. So if you can explain what those are for, that'd be great!

Have I told you you're awesome yet? lol Well the only thing you're off on is -window, it actually requires -best to launch. Otherwise it brings up the window asking you for what resolution/driver to use and whether or not you want it in window/fullscreen mode. I am going to make use of startlevel, fpslock, and flags though, so thank you so much. :D

Ah... I think that -window functionality was limited to non-final exes only. The -best was put in to automatically choose the best video-card and rendering device (to remove the complexity for the end-user). We used -window so that when launching the game from the Visual Studio debugger, it would skip the dialog and launch straight into a window.

Cyrem has done a pretty good job of reverse engineering the levels, but he hasn't completely figured out the .blx files for all the maps. We've googled the file extension and the header hexadecimals in the files and we can't find hardly anything, much less something relevant to what we need to know. So if you can explain what those are for, that'd be great!

I'll take a look at this myself, however this would have been originally put in place by one of the other guys (Rob), so I would also have to reverse engineer this myself. (Seems odd having to reverse engineer a project that I originally worked on myself).

(1) Amauros pretty much got this spot on... the functionality of the Canteen was simply rolled into the Toolstation/Support Station.

I stand corrected then. Was there any building/functionality that was originally intended to heal damage RR's took but then was never implemented?

I never researched them because they are never used by the game. They are also in the PS1 game, but again, never used. So it would be pointless for me to spend time looking into something the game doesn't use/ nor has an effect on.

Karl, do you know if there's any way to rearrange the order of items in the sidebar menus? Since I'm changing dependencies for my overhaul mod, it would be nice if I could change the order of the buildings in there, too. It seems like it's hard coded... but I have a backup solution if that's the case.

Karl, do you know if there's any way to rearrange the order of items in the sidebar menus? Since I'm changing dependencies for my overhaul mod, it would be nice if I could change the order of the buildings in there, too. It seems like it's hard coded... but I have a backup solution if that's the case.

I believe you must rearrange the order in which LRR registers them. In the CFG around line 2058, there's a BuildingTypes {..} section that lists each building in the same order you see in the build menu in-game.

Edit: I tested this and successfully reversed the entire order of the buildings.

In the smalldigger.epb (in the encyclopedia folder) I found this statement:

Tip: Sharpen the blades as often as possible to maintain maximum efficency.

Was there such a feature that was later removed? Or was this one of those things taht was planned, but never actually added? Or something else...?

Was there such a feature that was later removed? Or was this one of those things taht was planned, but never actually added? Or something else...?

It could just be a joke.

Hello there, it is a surprise to see such a person of your status on RRU. I have tried modding LRR but failed due too an old computer (surely not as old as yours was) and so gave up. Later I stopped playing LRR then stopped liking this site. I heard of you on Skype today and had to come see this topic for myself. 10 pages of Q.& A. is quite a lot to read but your answers interest me for I thought I would never meet a developer of a game I enjoyed. I have no questions but I do have one thing to say (other then welcome) which is that you have inspired me. I have gotten a new laptop and have not known what to do with it yet but I now I know something I can do, I can mod LRR. For now it may be simple but I will later try to do better stuff, thanks too you.

Oh yeah good job on the maps, I love them.

One of our founding fathers has graced us with his presance.

And his name is...

*looks at LZ's first post in this topic*

*brain cells die by millions*

One of our founding fathers has graced us with his presance.

And his name is...

*looks at LZ's first post in this topic*

*brain cells die by millions*

I have done my job. If you will excuse me, I have other business to attend to.

RRCoder,

I got a qeustion about the crystals why are the crystals blue on the lego website?

And also in a background animation in the main menu the crystals are blue to?

So why where there blue crystals?

It could just be a joke.

Although I don't remember seeing that comment, that would most certainly have been a joke. LEGO wouldn't have approved of sharpening anything. :lol:

I have no questions but I do have one thing to say (other then welcome) which is that you have inspired me. I have gotten a new laptop and have not known what to do with it yet but I now I know something I can do, I can mod LRR. For now it may be simple but I will later try to do better stuff, thanks too you.

Oh yeah good job on the maps, I love them.

I'm happy to have inspired you :) Although I think the community that has built up here is also pretty inspiring, considering the things you've all managed to do. It seems that new discoveries are still being made.

Not really new discoveries (well I guess the power path thing Amauros found is one). We've been in and out of all the game files, now its just finding shortcuts and lightwave stuff.

I got a qeustion about the crystals why are the crystals blue on the lego website?

And also in a background animation in the main menu the crystals are blue to?

So why where there blue crystals?

I believe this was simply due to the fact that most of the artwork was created while the game was in early development. A lot of the early game design document was changed during development (for various reasons), but most of the artwork was based on the original draft.

RRCoder,

My game is running verry laggy on windows 7 64bit

And my system is a high end gaming pc :S

That's my system with pics and specs

http://nl.hardware.info/usersystemen/13214/karsie-eyefinity-power#tab:specs

Do you now how far the support is going for AMD/ATI Graphics cards and multi core cpu's

The reason LRR runs so slow on your Win7 is because of the technology gap and incompatibility thereof. I'm not sure, but you should be able to make adjustments to your graphics card's settings to run a specific way specifically for LRR. I assume that your computer is in Dutch (or w/e your native language is), so I can't really tell you what you need to do in those settings. They should provide descriptions of what each different settings do and whether it should be global or work only for specific programs. Read those descriptions and if anything says it's an "old" setting, set it to that specifically for LRR (if you set it to global, you could cause a lot of problems for other programs you have).

The reason LRR runs so slow on your Win7 is because of the technology gap and incompatibility thereof. I'm not sure, but you should be able to make adjustments to your graphics card's settings to run a specific way specifically for LRR. I assume that your computer is in Dutch (or w/e your native language is), so I can't really tell you what you need to do in those settings. They should provide descriptions of what each different settings do and whether it should be global or work only for specific programs. Read those descriptions and if anything says it's an "old" setting, set it to that specifically for LRR (if you set it to global, you could cause a lot of problems for other programs you have).

Fully English W7 :)

And i know alot about hardware i already tried different settings with CCC (catalyst control center)

I also got Overclocks on my cpu and gpu's

mmm :P

Maybe LRR is running slow because you're overclocking everything and the game doesn't like that. Try setting everything back to normal if you haven't already. Then if you're running in windowed mode, set the affinity of the LegoRR.exe process in the Task Manager to a single core. That should help with any slowdown.

RRCoder,

My game is running verry laggy on windows 7 64bit

And my system is a high end gaming pc :S

That's my system with pics and specs

http://nl.hardware.info/usersystemen/13214/karsie-eyefinity-power#tab:specs

Do you now how far the support is going for AMD/ATI Graphics cards and multi core cpu's

In one of your later posts, you mention CCC. I'm going to assume you're using a Radeon card or whatever it's called. That's what I have on my windows machine, and it came with CCC.

What I do to get around the lag: In the Graphics Mode Selection thing, select "RGB Emalulation (Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emalulation)"

If you don't get that popup and don't know how to, then just run LegoRR.exe directly. It'll pop up then.

If that doesn't work, force antialising off in your graphics card.

If that doesn't work, play around with clglen.exe's options.

You have to complete the mission within a certain time setting, as specified in the .cfg for bases to count.

where is it?

the explorer is running on old li-ion batteries so i don't have much time

All I did was enable extension limits. This limits the size of strings used for processing which can cause older programs to crash if strings are too large. LRR runs smoothly even with a bunch of units.

Then again, I have an NVidia control panel, not CCC (w/e that is); so you might not be able to do this.

CCC Catalyst control center comes with a Radeon card (ATI/AMD)

I get the pop-up and i'm using Direct X mode

And al the settings in CC are APP Controled.

Now i'm playing around with the settings ;)

I think the problem is hyper threading it makes not litterly 4 cores into 8 cores.

You used the word 'specific' in here four times.

Not sure why I felt like noting that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.