Gold Energy Crystals

Lair

Alright. I must honestly ask. I know there were going to be Blue Crystals, as a concept art box case showed one, and a PS1 commercial (removed, please tell me if you have it, or know how to contact SomeGuyWhoKillsBears) was full of them.

But where has there ever been proof of Gold Energy crystals?

I've asked this question many times. It seems that there is no answer. Wikipedia gave this originaly. They were correct on the Blue, but Gold? I've never seen Gold Crystal evidence in beta stuff.

So where did this come from? Where is the evidence?

Idk if this is particularly related, but what about the yellow/gold crystals that show up between electric fences? Have we made a topic on that crystal yet?

I think those yellow things are small electricity towers, or something. those could maybe even gold. becose, isent it that gold can lead electricity better than iron?

They're not yellow nor gold. They're transparent light-green cone bricks. You can see some of them on the Chrome Crusher I think. As for their purpose, I don't think they affect the electricity because the fences have no problems making a connection across one square, and the electricity is far above the glowing brick.

I believe them Gold things in between the fences are meant to be nulls which allow for the electricity animation to link between objects.

Possibly lures for monsters?

I am with you about that.

Yeah lets go with that :D

It's what I always beleived they were >.<

I am with you about that.

Yeah lets go with that :D

It's what I always beleived they were >.<

They're nothing but visual aesthetics. They don't do anything at all.

If they're lures, then explain why you can put a fence on every tile and still have monsters walk into them. Like Doc said, they're just visual things.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not yellow nor gold. They're transparent light-green cone bricks. You can see some of them on the Chrome Crusher I think.

I am positive that these are yellow and the ones on the Chrome crusher is green.

*takes off glove and slaps Sonic across the face with it*

Sir, I challenge you to a duel.

Allow me to present some evidence for my argument. The first is Vehicles\LargeDigger\digIdle.lws:

Here you can plainly see the cone brick and its associated glow effect. Now let's look at the next piece of evidence, MiscAnims\Brick\SingleStud_ON.lws, which is the animation used for the between-fence-brick as evidenced by the following line in the CFG.

ElectricFenceStud			MiscAnims\Brick\SingleStud_ON

Let's compare the two:

Pardon the rotation. That was the best shot I could get without using a Perspective view or rotating the brick myself, which would have invalidated the evidence. Are these two bricks not identical in color? Is this color not a sort of light, yellowish-green? I'd say the answer is quite obvious.

*slips glove back on*

I would greatly appreciate it if you would replace that with a high-poly model that actually looks like the texture that's supposed to be applied to it.

I remember seeing REAL gold energy crystals somewhere, but I don't know where. I'm not talking about in-game, but something in the RR universe. If I remember, I'll post here.

*takes off glove and slaps Sonic across the face with it*

Sir, I challenge you to a duel.

Allow me to present some evidence for my argument. The first is Vehicles\LargeDigger\digIdle.lws:

gallery_27_6_5077.png

Here you can plainly see the cone brick and its associated glow effect. Now let's look at the next piece of evidence, MiscAnims\Brick\SingleStud_ON.lws, which is the animation used for the between-fence-brick as evidenced by the following line in the CFG.

Let's compare the two:

gallery_27_6_4386.png

Pardon the rotation. That was the best shot I could get without using a Perspective view or rotating the brick myself, which would have invalidated the evidence. Are these two bricks not identical in color? Is this color not a sort of light, yellowish-green? I'd say the answer is quite obvious.

*slips glove back on*

You said it was yellow.

I said it was green.

Now that you mention it then it is a yellow-green meaning that both of us are wrong and right.

You said it was yellow.

I said it was green.

Now that you mention it then it is a yellow-green meaning that both of us are wrong and right.

Stop lying. Here's what we said:

They're not yellow nor gold. They're transparent light-green cone bricks.

I am positive that these are yellow and the ones on the Chrome crusher is green.

The only reason I said that they're yellowish green in my most recent post is because the glow effect is yellow. That's undeniable, especially if you look at the texture itself. The actual brick on the actual set is transparent light-green, and maybe it's the lighting in my room, but I see a bit of yellow in it too. I tell you what, the light outside my window is perfect to see if it is in fact the crappy light fixture in my room that's messing with how I perceive the colors. I'll close the blinds and look at the brick, then I'll turn off the light and open the blinds and look at it again.

Okay. I took pictures of the brick in both lighting conditions and it seems that my room light is screwing things up, but the brick is transparent so I'm probably seeing the yellowish stuff behind it. I'll upload them if you want evidence, but it seems to just be light green. Man, I don't even know how to describe the color. Fluorescent? Transparent? Light green or yellowish green? Maybe we'll stick with yellowish green due to the glow effect that's used.

There is a 50/50 chance Wikipedia is right or wrong. It would have been removed because they didn't need 50 different coloured energy crystals for the game. No doubt they would have considered different colours and their effects when they were drawing up the design document. Fact is, LEGO did not use energy crystals other than light-green in the Rock Raider sets.

Let's take a moment to reflect on what rrcoder said:

The PS1 version was originally intended to be a direct port of the PC version (and we had a very early internal build of a top-down AND first person view, much like the PC version). During development it was decided by the 'higher ups' that a strategy game wasn't best suited for the PS1 platform, and a faster paced 'arcade' game would be work better.

Note the 'arcade' part. The coloured crystals didn't make any other appearances other than in the PS1 game. The colours were most likely thrown in to mix things up a bit and make the levels more challenging. Looking at LEGO's "can't be bothered to change the demo build screenshots on the ps1 game" attitude, they probably just let this fly also.

Well. I found that Red Crystals were supposed to be the blue ones in the PS1 originaly.

As for gold, I don't know.

I must agree with Cyrem, having 5 different colors of crystals is pointless.

There is a 50/50 chance Wikipedia is right or wrong.

Exactly why I called Farting Rock Monster at the beggining.

• 3 weeks later...

I still cannot remember where I saw that gold crystal at. I believe it was in an early lego theme some time ago that was closely related to LRR (I remember seeing it in an OLD OLD OLD lego magazine from like...many years ago).

Kind of off-topic, but...

7305-1.jpg

These aren't the rocks you're looking for, but it'll be the closest thing to Gold Energy Crystals. Just don't call 'em Power Crystals. Those are purple, and look a lot different.

Hey! maybe someone could make a fan comic with gold and blue crystals, though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.