Cave Raiders (Rebuild of Rock Raiders)

Packer

Fluffy Cupcake

What? No. Don't abandon this! D: This was turning out so well.

While LEGO Worlds may be popular, it certainly won't be able to replace this!

The download count may be low now because some people actually don't like to try out unfinished things, and those with little time to spend on the computer like to actually use it on finished full working games.

Quick-ish update, I've added an additional slot for both Crystals and Ore, so now you can always carry two of each. I felt like this has vastly improved the gameplay flow and doesn't feel like a massive grind now, but still not too power as to forgo vehicles. I've also added a teleport vehicle to player function, that also leads into a vehicle ownership mechanic; so once implemented, each player will be limited to a single vehicle that's tied to them (I might include player lock feature one day).

Fq0udk3.jpg

I've thought about it a bit and I feel like I can continue on this project for at least a while longer, I still got 0.4 Alpha to complete which makes this game more feature complete (Though still buggy), so look forward to that coming whenever I get the time. Overall the game is really open, you can see all the code I've written by just opening the cs files in notepad. So if worse comes around someone else could continue my work.

Lastly, I'll be looking at mod support for a future update (Likely a version after 0.4). How that will work will take some time to put together and explain, if time permits, sooner than later.

Yes, please don't cancel Cave Raiders. While I admit I never downloaded and played it (I have a large TODO list), I have been very interested and have watched progress (though not spoken up). I would love to see CR become "complete", for to date there has been no successful recreation of LRR (all the ORR-* games either ended or are stuck in development hell, RU hasn't had a visible update in a while, and Pascal's game always seems to rewritten). While LW seems to be all the current rage, LW != LRR. They are two different genres and one cannot replace the other.

Raiderforce

I have a question 

Are you going to add a minimap function, like in the oringal LRR

And please don't cancel the game, is a game that many have been waiting for several years for :satisfied:

Are you going to add a minimap function, like in the oringal LRR

​Maybe, never thought about it to be honest. Seems like a lot of work to get right though, so I'll consider it in the far future.

Thanks for the messages guys, I will likely keep working on it for a while yet. Really depends on my workload more than anything.

newsupdate.png

Another small update,

• I've added Cross-hairs now. No more guessing what you're aiming at, if you swap to free hands however the cross-hair hides.
  • Added wall cave-in animation when you destroy a wall piece, feels like the original I have to say. It also includes theme support so you can adjust it with your custom themes.
  • Fixed couple of bugs here and there, whenever I find them and can fix them I try.
  • Created a character station in the main menu for naming yourself.
  • Updated Build Station UI, its now smaller and has pictures instead of text!
  • Added auto drop off in Tool Store, now you automatically drop all your resources by opening the menu. Much faster and nicer overall, you can still easily pickup crystals and ores from it.
  • Increased Crystal and Ore capacity to 2, you already know this but it works properly now!
  • Added x button to the top right corner of the Start Game menu, I was instinctively trying to press it and it didn't exist, now it does. (Same as Back button)
  • Fixed Ice City, now doesn't end when you collect anything; It was set to collectObjective 1 which means you need to collect x amount to win; which was zero.
  • Updated Engine: You won't notice anything drastic change, mostly fixes crashes I was getting while developing. Less bugs!
  • Improved resources spawning on shoveling, resources are way less likely to land in the same location as each other (This was confusing people)
  • Rebalanced Upgraded Rock Raider, upgraded Rock Raiders are faster now! They felt a bit too slow for the scale of the game.

Things I've started work on or going to:

• Removing Friendly Fire, did you know you can kill your friend with drills.
  • Reworking the Drill, currently the way the drill works isn't great for visuals so I'm redoing it. Hence why when you drill you see nothing.
  • Finishing Power and Power Paths, currently this is the highest thing to do on my task list and of course one of the hardest.
  • Mod Support, the game already supports custom levels and themes, I just haven't explained how they work! If you have any suggestions on a wiki or a way I could write up "How To"s online post below!
  • Monsters, Rock Monsters will be appearing soon. For now they'll only go for you instead of buildings.
  • Weapons, Pew pew, good for shooting Rock Monsters. Likely only one functional weapon on release.
  • Look into vehicle functionality, I broke the Small Digger on release and never fixed it.

Any suggestions on what you'd like to be done sooner than later, or bugs that you want to see fixed? Post below.

• Like 2

Mdk2tFQ.jpg

I had to take a couple of days off to follow up on something, so I decided to work on a task I've been putting off for a while. 'Power' and 'Power Paths' now properly work! I redid a heap of the code and its much better than the monstrosity that I created before. I also made the rubble change as you dig it! Cave in animation in the back mid fall being shown off.

Decided to implement the lava theme today, so officially now all the themes are in Cave Raiders from Lego Rock Raiders.

np06Vz5.jpg
aNM2YfT.jpg

Also updated the Power Path tiles to glow now!

Edited by Packer
Addtional update!

Yay, it's looking great Packer! I'm glad the power paths are glowing now too.

Could you please update the download link in the OP? I just tried to download it as I haven't played it yet, however the link just directs me to the topic.

Yay, it's looking great Packer! I'm glad the power paths are glowing now too.

Could you please update the download link in the OP? I just tried to download it as I haven't played it yet, however the link just directs me to the topic.

Its supposed to link to the post with the newest but the forum update bugged it, fixed now.

86a5pYB.jpg

I think this image shows off quite a few changes since 0.3 Alpha. That's not another player by the way.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just a quick update, I've done heaps of updates and fixes on this next version, and I'm going to shoot myself in the foot here but I'm promising to get a release out in the next 7 or 8 days. I'm currently on school holidays and I planned to go crazy on updates (Which I have to an extent) but I need to do other things... seeing as I only got 2 weeks off and now I have 1 week left. Anyway point being is that I won't be able to work on this much unless I get a random dev drive again for about 10ish weeks when I get another week off so I'm aiming to get this one out and ready for people who may want to start modding, level editing or just playing something less broken.

And as a teaser, I've done a visual update on the textures and some of the models.

IWA13zg.png

Alpha 0.4

Key Features:

Bug Fixes, everything is now multiplayer compatible, so now you can see what you're suppose to! Visual Update, probably one the most noticeable additions! Several buildings and vehicles now have studs on them. Everything has been polished too, extra shiny new looking blocks! Caves now crumble when you destroy the walls, rubble can be dug and the ground changes!
9p0WCjfm.jpg Cddhsaem.jpg uRIYUyum.jpg

Donations
Donate
Cave Raiders is completely for free and will never cost money or membership. I'm putting my best efforts into making this game a reality and free fun experience. Donating is not only a great intensive for me to keep going, but realistically helps the development of the game and pay the bills!
Please only donate if you can spare the money!

Download:

CaveRaiders 0.4 (MediaFire)

Ground Controls:

F3 - Mission Briefing

W, A, S, D - movement

Run/Jump into Vehicle - Enter Vehicle

F - Exit Vehicle

1 - Slot 1

2 - Slot 2

3 - Slot 3

4 - Slot 4

5 - Free hand

F - Interact with Buildings

Left Click - Use Tool / Place Building

R - Rotate Building

B - Build Menu

Tab - Change camera view

V - Rotate camera in third person view

Z - Zoom!

Vehicle Controls (NEW!)

W, S - Forward/Reverse

A, D - Steer Left and Right

Space - BRAKE!

F - Exit Vehicle

Version Notes:

Several vehicles were actually disabled and removed, specifically the larger ones as they don't use the new texture system and haven't been properly converted from 0.2 days. Only so many controls are able to be remapped, this is due to the way controls are setup in the engine (aka the engine developers never fixed it) I have however made vehicle controls remappable so enjoy that! Power is working better than ever but its still not ready to be used correctly, hence the low price on everything power related.

Troubleshooting:

If you're not hearing anything during gameplay, press Ctrl+O and go to the audio tab, try changing the Audio device to another on the list.
Post in this thread if you cannot fix your issues and I'll try to help as best as I can.

Hosting:

If you're hosting you may need to port forward if no one can find your server.

28000 to 28008  TCP and UDP  (The number of players you're letting into your server, 8 by default)

Or if you know the host get their IP and press ~ in the main menu and type:

connect("123.456.789:28000", "password", "name");

Replace name with your name, make password "" if there is no password and change the numbers to the hosts IP.

Report Bugs!:

As said before, if you encounter a bug, please report it and how I can replicate the bug!

Edited by Packer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, so I'm coming up to the end of my school year and have learnt an abundant amount of coding skills in C++ and C#. The problem is that Cave Raiders is using Torque Script on Torque 3D which I've actually stopped using since the last update I did. Does it mean Cave Raiders is dead? I hope not. But as per usual time and money are a major factor, I've got other priorities in life like attempting to start a indie games company which takes my full game dev attention and I can't be doing side projects no matter how much I'd like to (They're not profitable in short).

So where does this lead to? Well during my school break I will attempt... to make a map editor for Cave Raiders, this should at the very least give the game some longevity and allow everyone to create their own fun to share.

Extra:
I have thought about redoing the entire game but in Unity, the biggest issues with this is functionality development, Torque has vehicles in by default as well as multiplayer, this bypasses a hell of a lot of work. So in that sense I've kind of dropped that idea, however going back to Torque Script is very much do-able but I rather not break my brain trying to memorize 3 similar coding languages. I may sit down and asses, when I have the time, the entire game and whats left for me to say "That's the level of complete I want". I don't believe there was too much more to do, I remember I needed to add water, lava, monsters and finish the functionality on the vehicles (Which still isn't hard to do just time consuming).

Those who are interested in continuing Cave Raiders:
Its a long shot but this is for those who are interested in continuing Cave Raiders, first of all the game is completely uncomplied (except a few AI scripts because they're required to be), so just whip those .cs .gui .mis files into a text editor like Notepad and you can start modifying everything. I am giving everyone permission to create their own "Patches" or full modified releases of repackaged versions of Cave raiders with their changes and additions and posting them into this thread or their own. Some have asked for the 3D models within Cave Raiders and I for the most part rather not give those out, if you have the technical skill the decomplie them and use them in your project feel free but credit me please. My hope is that people will try to bring this project up to a better standard soon or the future. And if you ever use Cave Raiders or its content for anything, please at least link back to this thread.

Edited by Packer
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2015 at 2:56 PM, Packer said:

Hey guys, so I'm coming up to the end of my school year and have learnt an abundant amount of coding skills in C++ and C#. The problem is that Cave Raiders is using Torque Script -snop-

Well if there's one thing I think we can both say with experience having approached the problem from similar vectors, it's that TGE is garbage. 

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine and I have been playing around with CR, and I am having issues with the equipping on items when I'm not hosting.  Sometimes it works when I try to equip items, sometimes it doesn't. it's literally game-breaking. the bug appears when someone connects to the host, and tries to equip items after dying, opening a building interaction menu, or does any other action. If anyone else has experienced this problem and managed to fix it, please post a fix.

• 5 weeks later...

My hope is that people will try to bring this project up to a better standard soon or the future.

Hi!

Hey PackerI like you game!... thanks for the uncomplied scripts. so I think I can continue this game if you allow me.... :thumbsup:

But I have a couple of questions before start :D  I send you a PM

Regars

Hx

• 3 months later...

@Packer

It's a shame to see that this gem's development has been stopped and would love to help getting it back on the tracks and transferred to Unity (vehicles and multiplayer might be a bit more work but in the end it will be worth it). Do you feel up for it to continue development or is it something I can carry on with on my own with due credits to the work you've done prior?

• 1 year later...
MaxRideWizardLord

I download 0.4 version, but can't use neither drill, neither shower and neither plasma rifle. :( seems like slots do not work.

• 3 months later...
  • lol username locked this topic