Baz's Mod (Old Topic)

Baz

Located the problem of disappearing RR's. When running off battery for some obscure reason the PC cannnot handle LLR, when on mains they don't disappear!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baz

• Lair

• Anonymouse

• Matt

OK stuck on Don't Panic. Got 50+ EC's but where are the other 40+ to complete the level. my guess Is I need to drill on another wall somewhere on route to the base ?

OK stuck on Don't Panic. Got 50+ EC's but where are the other 40+ to complete the level. my guess Is I need to drill on another wall somewhere on route to the base ?

Nope. This is why I personally thought this level was one of, if not, the hardest level in his mod. It is possible to complete this level, but I don't want to ruin the challenge by telling you how straight up. What I'm assuming you're missing, is one of the features Baz added to his mod, that wasn't in the original game. In the old forums, Baz wrote up a list of all his modifications he would be making. I notice he has posted this in his Wiki, but hasn't done so in the first post of this thread, like he did in the old forums. So I would advise you to read down the list on the Wiki (http://rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Baz%27s_Mod), and you should hopefully find a feature that you had forgotten about/not known.

Sorry if it's a bit mean to be telling you in such a vague way, but I found this level quite challenging, and I think that other people should have to tackle the challenge in the same way.

However, it's good to see other people working their way through this mod, as it seems I'm the only person to have played every level. I wish you luck for the rest of them, and hope that other people are also working their way through this mod. The amount of work that went into it deserves a few more people completing it. If people have got up to the last few levels, I would be interested in seeing how you got on with them. For me, Back to Basics and Rocky Horror were impossible, but I would like to know whether the crashing problems that I had, are apparent for everyone, or just me.

Also, if anyone gets stuck on any other levels, just post here like Pedro did. I do try and check this thread regularly, and will give you hints as to how to complete it. (If it was indeed possible.)

~Matt~

Don't Panic is a toughy, unfortunatley several LRR's lost their lifes, but the rewards were rich for those who managed to cling on and perserverance finally won the day.

Are you launching the game in standard mode? I had a problem with the game crashing on the loading screen if I launched in enhanced mode, but if I launched in standard mode, it seemed to work fine.

Also, according to Baz's troubleshooting page ( http://rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Baz%27s_Mod ), there are other things you can try:

• Running Game in 16-Bit Mode instead of 32-Bit Mode
  • Running Game in Windowed Mode instead of Fullscreen Mode
  • Running Game in Test Level Mode

Hopefully there's a cure in there somewhere...

~Matt~

Believe me, If I could run it in standard mode, I would have done so LONG ago. My game Lags too much. >_>

That aside, none of those work.

But here's what DID:

I ran the game using my RR1 wad, and his RR0 wad. The game loads just fine when I do this.

However, I have no clue what impact this has on the gameplay, seeing as the RR1 file also has the .cfg (which I already know I'm gonna need). I'll see if I can find a way around this.

Driller Night.

There were two things that irked me about this level:

One, how close everything was to the edge of the level. While this didn't annoy me too much, I still didn't like having to adjust the angle just to see what I was doing.

Two, for some reason my raiders had some overpowering urge to jump into the lava. I lost about five raiders because they just walked straight into the lava for no darn reason. I got fed up with it and just stuck to utilizing three Trucks, two Dozers, and one small digger to get everything I needed.

As for those... isolated... crystals on this level, I KNOW what I was SUPPOSED to do to get them, but seeing as I lack the proper settings in the .cfg file, I just slashed the rock with debug keys to get them.

All in all, I liked this level, mostly for the fact that it gave me the knowlegde that I got the mod to work.

Now to fix the RR1 file. >_>

FOUND THE PROBLEM.

Line 368 in the .cfg had an extraneous backslash in the code. That's what caused the foul-up. -.-

Here's the cfg with this error fixed. With a very Baz-ish easter egg added in... ;)

Oh, Whaaaaaat theeee fuuuuuu-... really?!!? Stupid glitch CAME BACK. :RAGE:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting things of this topic together so maybe someone can help.

Oh, for the hate of AIDS.

I can't play this; it loads about 4/5 the way and then an error message appears.

Give to me fixzor now. :P

Same problem, at around 80% it crashes.

---

Are you launching the game in standard mode? I had a problem with the game crashing on the loading screen if I launched in enhanced mode, but if I launched in standard mode, it seemed to work fine.

Also, according to Baz's troubleshooting page ( http://rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Baz%27s_Mod ), there are other things you can try:

• Running Game in 16-Bit Mode instead of 32-Bit Mode
  • Running Game in Windowed Mode instead of Fullscreen Mode
  • Running Game in Test Level Mode

Hopefully there's a cure in there somewhere...

~Matt~

• I tried 16-Bit, 32-Bit, back to 16-Bit...
  • Windowed and Fullscreen: crash
  • Test Level Mode: further explanation required. What the hell is test level mode?

I deleted the standart mode shortcut (and created a direct shorcut to the exe) any way to get it back without reinstalling?

---

(lol!)

its a simple fix, really. i did this last month. :P

That message helped so much that I answered:

Could you please tell me how you fixed it?

And the (very unsophisticated) answer was:

Sure. but work on simpler things first, then we can get to fixing probs.

Which really didnt help... Did it mean that he thinks I am too stupid to understand the solution or does it mean that it is too complicated for him to explain it?

---

Driller Night.

[...]

Now to fix the RR1 file. >_>

FOUND THE PROBLEM.

Line 368 in the .cfg had an extraneous backslash in the code. That's what caused the foul-up. -.-

Here's the cfg with this error fixed. With a very Baz-ish easter egg added in... ;)

Oh, Whaaaaaat theeee fuuuuuu-... really?!!? Stupid glitch CAME BACK. :RAGE:

Same here, corrected the line so that is was similar to the ones being lower. --> still crashes!

---

There was also someone who used the modified RR0 (was this one even modified?) and the original RR1. Not a solution as the .cfg is in the RR1. (sorry if i mixed up RR0 and RR1)

Sure. but work on simpler things first, then we can get to fixing probs.

He needs to know the fix to even play the mod. It's not that hard to explain what to change, or did you make it all up?

i know how to fix it, but you deleted the STANDARD SHORTCUT!? man, you're screwed. if you manage to get it back, i will fix it. then we fix baz mod.

I'm sorry, i cant replace the standard shortcut.

TheEPICtrainrider

So wait... all you need is the shortcut? I can tell you how to do that... Go to start and if there is the RR short cut there, just click it, drag your mouse over to the desktop and let go.

And you have the RR short cut.

So wait... all you need is the shortcut? I can tell you how to do that... Go to start and if there is the RR short cut there, just click it, drag your mouse over to the desktop and let go.

And you have the RR short cut.

Thats the problem: I wanted RR to be completely "hidden" so I deletet the shortcuts ("standard mode" and "enhancen mode"). Also I did that because I needet to go trough this window to get it in windowed mode:

Then I made a shortcut directly to the .exe in the Rock Raiders Folder

Maybe there is a way to change the shortcut properties by adding something like "+standard mode" (you know, like adding +nosound, which was a solution to a different problem) but I don't know how and what exactly to add!

The other question is: will standard mode really work better than enhanced (or "uncangable"-mode for my case), or is there a different problem.

Warguy, be so kind and post your solution so I can just check and try. (Check if I am even able to use your solution!!)

The last thing: I could just reinstall, I finished the regular game so theres no problem with losing my save (besides I could just copy the savegame to another location --> no problem)

Is the problem the fact that it doesn't start directly, but asks you for the video mode first?

All you need to do for that is add "-best" (no quotes) to the shortcut. That will be exactly the same as the original advanced/enhanced shortcut.

As for the standard one, it contains several options to reduce quality (and in doing so, processing time). You shouldn't need that, because it was only made for the slower computers (and that was back in '99). If you still want it, I can check it for you though :)

Is the problem the fact that it doesn't start directly, but asks you for the video mode first?

Not exacty - I like this window because it lets me choose windowed mode - The problem is that Baz's mod seems to not run in enhanced mode and only in standard mode.

All you need to do for that is add "-best" (no quotes) to the shortcut. That will be exactly the same as the original advanced/enhanced shortcut.

I did that. I now do start in enhanced mode - and it crashes at 80% loading (that is the problem I have!)

As for the standard one, it contains several options to reduce quality (and in doing so, processing time). You shouldn't need that, because it was only made for the slower computers (and that was back in '99). If you still want it, I can check it for you though :)

In unmodded RR enhanced mode is no problem, but for baz's mod I heard that it works only in standart mode (at least someone had this issue) so i would really like to start it in the lower mode. So... please check for me or tell me where to find it.

EDIT: I just looked at the properties of the standard shortcut I have on my desktop, and I think I may have found what people are looking for.

My target for my standard shortcut is "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders\LegoRR.exe" -best -reducesamples -reduceanimation -reducepromeshes -reduceflics -reduceimages

Dunno if it matters, but the 'start in' property says: "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders"

However, I tryed creating a shortcut myself using this target, but the game would crash as soon as I tryed to start it. I may be missing something though, so feel free to play around with that yourself.

EDIT2: I tryed again and it now works, so I think I've found the solution. To do it:

In windows explorer: File>New>Shortcut, and then copy what my target for my standard shortcut is (ie. what's in italics, including the speech marks)

This should work, and you should probably name it Standard version or something.

Sorry if I'm a bit late to this conversation and don't add much...

Personally, I only managed to get it to run in Standard 32-bit mode, and so naturally it was always fullscreen.

Like I mentioned in your welcoming topic, launch from the standard mode in the Start Menu. If that's no longer there, then you could be a bit stuck as said. I personally would just re-install my game if I was in that situation. It's a very small game compared to most games these days, so doesn't take long, and since you're going to be starting again on a new tree, you don't really need your saves do you? If you really want to keep your current saves, you could back up the saves folder in the Data folder of the Rock Raider folder in program files. Once you've re-installed the original, I'd install Baz's mod, and then launch through the standard mode shortcut which should be back on your desktop.

Just as an observation from a comment above, I think I should mention a tip that people should be aware of when creating shortcuts from the Start Menu. Never 'just drag' to the desktop from the Start Menu. This moves the shortcut, and then it will no longer be under the start menu. Instead, hold down Control whilst doing so. This is now copying the shortcut, and there should be a little plus in the bottom corner whilst you're dragging it onto the desktop now. Alternatively, you can right click on the shortcut in the Start Menu, and click 'create shortcut'. You can then drag this onto the desktop.

If anyone has accidentally moved their shortcut out of the Start Menu and onto the desktop, and wants to get it back, it's easiest just to right-click on any folder/shortcut already in the Start Menu, and click on 'explore'. This saves you navigating to the Start Menu directory manually, and you should see all your folders that are displayed in the programs menu. Find the folder that you want to move it back into, and just move/copy back from Desktop. If you really want to do it navigate manually, it should be under something like this:

C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs

I noticed that there is also a Start Menu under the user that you are logged in as, which for some people, it might be stored there.

~Matt

singing: "next issueeeeeeeee"

now it is all ****ed up. (no, not "fed up")

I uninstalled Rockraiders.

I tried ro reinstall Rockraiders but at about 90% of the installation there is a problem with the file "build203.wav" or something like that. It said there was a mistake with "build203.wav" of the german files. OK, I installed it in french (FRENCH!!!) because there is no english installation (WTF!!!) on my CD.

So... french version works fine to install and is playable. THEN... Baz's mod: NOTHING worked, not the 16/32 bitmode switch, not the fullscreen/windowmode switch.

Now I got standard mode: Enhanced mode (Mode supérieur) crashed at 80%, standard mode at 50%. Just like before the reinstallation, when I used those "-best -reducesamples -reduceanimation -reducepromeshes -reduceflics -reduceimages" thingies.

singing: "why do I know thaaaaaat" / "déjà vuuuuuuuu"

Well... what more was there to try:

*look at the pic pls*

I never changed the "Device" (that middle thingie). So I changed it to RGB Emulation (red-gore-blood-emo-lation; yes i'm mad) and it worked it's way through the loading screen!!! I started the first mission (the modded first training mission) what caused another loading screen (normal) which loaded normally. AFTER loading, the game closed. NIIIIICEEEEEE, a chash without "windows has had a mistake..."

Now I'm further than ever before, and I still can't play, I can open and close automaticly, like some overnatural window closer.

My next step will be to reinstall and press "Yes" when it asks me if I want the OLD DirectX installed (why would I want that... ah yes - because I want to try this mod!!!)

Did It work? (I'll edit once I know):

worked [ ]

didn't work [X] (And I tried it on an OTHER Computer!)

For everyone else who got this issue heres the solution:

• Try 16-bit-mode and 32-bit-mode
  • Try windowed mode (only in 16 bit).
  • Try standard and enhanced mode.
  • Try the RGB Emulation.
  • Try running with, and without the CD.
  • Now calm down.
  • Try correcting line 368 in the .cfg (theres a backslash too much, when you compare with the lower lines.)
  • Try reinstalling and freshly install the mod.
  • Calm down even more.
  • Try reinstalling with the old DirectX (just say "yes" when it asks you). (?)
  • Try reinstalling in an other language. (?)
  • Don't smash your head against the wall.
  • Try forgetting about RockRaiders.
  • Burn your Legos. (parental surveillance advised)
  • Now smash your head against the wall.

Thers 2^9 = 512 possible combinations (calculating only the serious solutions)

Baz, I am right when I think you used the english RockRaiders as base for your mod? It might be, that other language files (sound files) cause crashes when you mod-overwrite the pointers and shortcuts of them (in the .cfg) but not the files themselves. I don't really think that this is the problem, but I am still mad, that I don't have the possibility to install it in english.

Oh and Matt - It's nice that you follow the guidline "write for the msiu (most stupid imaginable user)" but I quite know how to move and how to copy shortcuts.

Hmm well it seems as though you are trying everything, so I wish you luck in finding something that works. I personally am out of ideas, but if you do get really stuck and frustrated, there is the possibility of buying a new (English) copy. Cyrem has a list of places here.

I'm pretty sure Baz's version of Rock Raiders is in English, so yes, I think he would have used the English Rock Raiders as a base.

Oh and to respond to your remark to me, I wasn't actually directing my advice to you. It was more of a tip to EPIC, who said:

Go to start and if there is the RR short cut there, just click it, drag your mouse over to the desktop and let go.

Soo... I'm trying the only combination left I didn't try: Installing in German (now it works again! [wtf?]), saying yes when It asks me about DirectX, correcting line 368, and then running it in every mode: 16/32 bit, fullscreen/windowed, RGB-Emulation/the other emulation, standart/enhanced, with CD/without.

I tested every possibility (I made a plan on paper) with CD and every possibility without CD (D8) and nothing worked!!!

Exept for smashing my head against the wall: I saw Rock Raiders flying around my head.

I'm out of here, gimme another mod.

It's all your fault baz! ;)

Oh, yeah, and I caused Matt to make his shortest post yet!

• 1 month later...