Lego Alpha Team Modding Reference/guide

Addictgamer

The file types and such

1. tga
    • texture/image file
    • There are some, like ARIAL_1.TGA, which seem to be font files or something...They are not valid images when I try to open them with any of my image editors, so if some one would like to verify what they are...

[*]ddf

• I opened up ABADI MT CONDENSED.DDF in a hex editor, and the following makes me believe it has something to do with fonts:
      FNT2Abadi MT Condensed

[*]txt

• A text file, of course. Has a wide range of uses.

[*]dds

Oh, and if you extract any of the games audio data, the .dds files are actually raw audio files. so you'll need to get hold of a program to convert them to something else. (like .wav)
  2. fin

• Google gave me nothing
      I think it is some sort of model file...Why? Open up a .fin file with a hex editor and see for yourself.

What is a font in Alpha Team made up of?

1. A .ddf file.

2. A tga file with _0 at the end of the name.

3. Another tga file with a _1 at the end of the name.

All these files have the same base name

Needs verification

The purpose of a file

In etc.pac

CategoryImages.txt

Take a look at the file:

0	lego

41 group1

42 group2

43 group3

44 group4

45 group5

46 group6

35 ogel

1 global

19 trop

36 sub

37 sea

38 polar

39 mtn

40 moon

It seems to be a list of all the biomes...

Needs verification

CategoryUnits.txt

Seems to have a list of all the objects used in game.

Format:

#BADDIES

og9999 audio 35

b0001 Ogel 35

b0002 B Guard 35

b0003 B Sentry 35

b0004 Wk Radia 35

b0006 Wk Assem 35

b0007 Wk Cart 35

b0008 B Follower 35

mf0003 B Neandert 35

b0009 B Plant 35

There's a snippet from the file.

It seems to be arranged like this:

ID	Name	A number with an unkown purpouse

The number might correspond to a number in CategoryImages.txt

Some items don't have a number, such as:

#CYBERIA

cy1000 Baseplat

cy9001 Cylinder

Some items have 2 numbers, such as:

# LEGO UNITS							

u0004 Dive Brd 0 46

U0016 Tower S 0 42

u0017 Catapult 0 43

u0022 Launcher 0 43

U0023 Trampolin 0 41

U0026 Puncher 0 42

U0027 teeter 0 46

U0033 Slide 0 41

U0038 Cannon 0 43

Needs verification

Credits.puz

A text file that seems to create a scene...

Needs verification

Demo0x.puz

I'm going to guess the 3 Demo0x.puz files correspond to the 'demo' shown on the main menu...

This is still a WIP guide/reference. If you find any errors or have anything to add, please post.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Normally .dds files are specially compressed image files with an alpha attacjed (They are used both in Halo and Microsoft Flight Simulator 9/10) and I'm pretty sure you are correct about .fin being model files (Haven't go releveant data to support, but I am so sure I have seen them somewhere).

I'll help you improve this guide. I like dis-assembling games and ruining the secrets the developers tried to hide from us.

Before I go extracting every file in sight, does anybody know where TeeVee's speech clips are? Which file?

Never mind. I fail. Audio.pac... *facepalm*

1. WOAH WOAH WOAH. Normally .dds files are specially compressed image files with an alpha attacjed (They are used both in Halo and Microsoft Flight Simulator 9/10)

2. and I'm pretty sure you are correct about .fin being model files (Haven't go releveant data to support, but I am so sure I have seen them somewhere).

3. I'll help you improve this guide.

4. I like dis-assembling games and ruining the secrets the developers tried to hide from us.

1. Ok, we'll have to see what it really is.

2. Well, the layout looks like a model file. It's got a lot of nonsense punctuation, and it's got references to texture files, and other stuff.

3. Yay, thanks!

4. *Evil grin*

Before I go extracting every file in sight, does anybody know where TeeVee's speech clips are? Which file?Never mind. I fail. Audio.pac... *facepalm*

:P

• 4 weeks later...

• dds

Oh, and if you extract any of the games audio data, the .dds files are actually raw audio files. so you'll need to get hold of a program to convert them to something else. (like .wav)

Try aplay on ubuntu, and tweak the options (bitrate etc).

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

LEGO is playing that old OGEL trick again. (OGEL > LEGO, FIN > NIF)

Me and The2Banned2One have been hard at work decoding some of these files. FIN files are actually renamed and slightly modified NIF (Net Immerse File Format) files, which are fairly well documented, however it is a version 7.0 which is not used in any other games as far as I know. There are also some Digital Domain specific blocks in the file (e. g. DDUnit, DDActorSharedData). Once we figure out how to fix these bad boys, they can be loaded into 3DSMax, Blender, and Maya as there are already a set of plugins for NIF format since they have been used in many other games. (e. g. LU, The Elder Scrolls, ect) I'll let you know how this develops.

- Sparky

• Like 1

lol username

Hey Guys,

LEGO is playing that old OGEL trick again. (OGEL > LEGO, FIN > NIF)

Me and The2Banned2One have been hard at work decoding some of these files. FIN files are actually renamed and slightly modified NIF (Net Immerse File Format) files, which are fairly well documented, however it is a version 7.0 which is not used in any other games as far as I know. There are also some Digital Domain specific blocks in the file (e. g. DDUnit, DDActorSharedData). Once we figure out how to fix these bad boys, they can be loaded into 3DSMax, Blender, and Maya as there are already a set of plugins for NIF format since they have been used in many other games. (e. g. LU, The Elder Scrolls, ect) I'll let you know how this develops.

- Sparky

Really? NIF? LEGO Universe also uses that for its models, interesting. [Edit: And I didn't see that you had already mentioned that in your post, lol...] Good luck on the decoding! :D

FIN files are actually renamed and slightly modified NIF (Net Immerse File Format) files, which are fairly well documented

I can confirm they are NIF files. The very presence of .dll files with names like "NiAnimation" tell that they are NIF files. I'll be taking a better look at them soon.

Everyonr, get your heads into the game, because we have another game that can be modded! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.