How Are Crystals Formed

Lair

Actually neither. Some of the current methods being used to detect neutrinos use liquid water or liquid heavy water and photosensors that detect the light emitted when neutrinos make contact... or liquid chlorine or galium, which turn into argon or germanium (respectively) after interaction with neutrinos... then there's other newer methods such as thermoaccoustic-detection.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonic322

• Tracker

• Cirevam

• Lair

Actually neither. Some of the current methods being used to detect neutrinos use liquid water or liquid heavy water and photosensors that detect the light emitted when neutrinos make contact... or liquid chlorine or galium, which turn into argon or germanium (respectively) after interaction with neutrinos... then there's other newer methods such as thermoaccoustic-detection.

Very interesting.

Let's stick with REAL physics here, shall we?

We are talking about a game whose only form of "REAL physics" was gravity and that was shaky at best.

The least we could do is keep an open mind.

We are talking about a game whose only form of "REAL physics" was gravity and that was shaky at best.

I was kidding with my " holy cow, you're right," although under further consideration, I do admit it is is perfectly plausible.

I was kidding with my " holy cow, you're right," although under further consideration, I do admit it is is perfectly plausible.

Well hold your horses, we haven't reached the island of stability yet.

Haha, I love being new.

Haha, I love being new.

I was talking about super-heavy nuclides.

Haha, I love being new.

I was talking about super-heavy nuclides.

OH THAT MAKES MORE SENSE. Haha.

• 6 months later...

Okay, why don't we start from square one under the assumption that Brickonium can be a real mineral. (Finding a way to make it work is the purpose of this exercise. That is why we are bothering, right?)

Okay, why don't we start from square one under the assumption that Brickonium can be a real mineral. (Finding a way to make it work is the purpose of this exercise. That is why we are bothering, right?)

No

This topic is about discussing how Energy Crystals are formed.

No

This topic is about discussing how Energy Crystals are formed.

That's what Tracker was talking about?

Although he hasn't participated in the discussion of formation yet...

The Crystals are formed by well documented processes that form other rocks and minerals, such as quartz, gypsum, pyrite, garnet, wolframite, and beryl. This is evidenced by their shape and their tendency to appear in seams (the same applies to Ore). The next, more important question is what could they be made of.

It's really hard to explain without any hard Sci-Fi equivalents. Closest thing I can think of to an energy crystal (Non-radioactive but highly energetic) is a Zero Point Module from Stargate, and those are artificial.

Keep in mind I have not watched Dr. Who or Star Trek (the former never really appealed to me and I feel the latter isn't exactly well thought out), and my Sci-Fi knowlage is in fact limited to Stargate, Star Wars (Limited on this one), H.G. Wells, Portal and Warhammer 40,000 as well as basic Sci-Fi themes.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I figure Energy Crystals are useful through a combination of heritho-undiscovered harmless harmless radiation and the ships generators using some sort of Mass-to-Energy conversion engine.

That wouldn't make sense as if the crystals were converted into energy, wouldn't they be consumed?

Well they wouldn't be pin-drop quiet, they would make some noise at least.

I say that the reason it costs more EC's for a hoverscout then to power a building, is because they teleport it down. The EC's could just be used to operate the teleporter to get it own to the planet.

But when you tele it back, the number of crystals you used are returned to you.

Out of context game mechanic. All RTS games have them to balance the game. I'd assume that being able to teleport down an infinite number of Chrome Crushers, Loader Dozers and STTs would be game breaking.

Well I like how your idea is similar to mine in that neutrinos are the source of an energy crystal's innate power. :P

Neutrinos actually give off harmful radiation (they aren't WIMPs however, that's a form of dark matter).

Neutrons don't have a charge. Protons wouldn't give enough energy. I think we're thinking in the wrong direction.

Maybe instead of lighter, smaller particles energizing an otherwise inert object, we should look at the crystal as being made of a super-heavy element within the stable island of the 120s.

Maybe instead of lighter, smaller particles energizing an otherwise inert object, we should look at the crystal as being made of a super-heavy element within the stable island of the 120s.

But Brickonium is very light. Watch the cutscenes, like LavaJug1. Docs picks up the Brickonium as if it were nothing, and juggles them. They also make a strange resonating sound.

Try Induced gamma emission. There may be a "stable" nuclear isomer that "holds" more than one photon, forcing it to stay together, even after releasing a large amount of energy. Given the amount of energy it would emit, a very low percentage could be enough to charge a laser a few times. An isomer of hafnium has been found to give you a gamma ray when you give it an x-ray. If it held together, there is the chance you would be able to "recharge" it. And it takes lots and lots of photons to cause harm, so if this isomer is easy to excite, you could hold the crystal with out getting burned. They could be something like silicon carbonate with inclusions, both metallic (assuming this element is a metal) and organic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivine LOOK AT THAT COLOR!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autunite Uranyl, gotta love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass What the...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence#Gemology.2C_mineralogy.2C_geology_and_forensics Oil lights up if you give it an x-ray? Anyways, enjoy the light show!

Wow, olivine really looks like brickonium, and it exists primarily underground and it degrades on the surface. This seems like a good real-world equivalent, at least in looks.

But Brickonium is very light. Watch the cutscenes, like LavaJug1. Docs picks up the Brickonium as if it were nothing, and juggles them. They also make a strange resonating sound.

Just because something has a super-heavy element in it doesn't mean it has to be heavy itself. It may just contain Element 120 or so in small quantities within it's molecular structure.

Try Induced gamma emission. There may be a "stable" nuclear isomer that "holds" more than one photon, forcing it to stay together, even after releasing a large amount of energy. Given the amount of energy it would emit, a very low percentage could be enough to charge a laser a few times. An isomer of hafnium has been found to give you a gamma ray when you give it an x-ray. If it held together, there is the chance you would be able to "recharge" it. And it takes lots and lots of photons to cause harm, so if this isomer is easy to excite, you could hold the crystal with out getting burned. They could be something like silicon carbonate with inclusions, both metallic (assuming this element is a metal) and organic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivine LOOK AT THAT COLOR!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autunite Uranyl, gotta love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass What the...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence#Gemology.2C_mineralogy.2C_geology_and_forensics Oil lights up if you give it an x-ray? Anyways, enjoy the light show!

Uranium Glass doesn't seem likely, again because it's not naturally forming. Autunite doesn't seem to have the proper structure, it's more like mica but more solid.

Olivine seems to be the most likely host for a Halfnium Isomer (Isotope?) in context due to it's structure, although Autunite seems like it could contain more Halfnium if it isn't bound to the molecules of the crystal itself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.