The Parameter Manager

TheDoctor

In a conversation with Cirevam, I was looking through the RR files on ubuntu. I decide to open CLGen.dat, and find thats its just a text file. Seeing that its content are exactly what CLGen.exe uses, Cirevam states that we could use this for a mod. Thus the Parameter Manager was born.

CLGen.dat is, like I said, but a plain text file. All I did is change it.

LIKE A BOSS.

Here's the silly thing. Unchanged, CLGen looks like it chooses different settings for the gfx card, right? WRONG. The Savage3D and Voodoo2 options only mean adding -fvf and -ftv respectively. There's a registry entry named StandardParameters, and this holds target extensions for the exe, like how you would do it with adding -fvf to the shortcut.

Anyways, what it does is make CLGen.exe useful. Instead of having two stupid options, it has a list of common params. Cirevam's Set just means -testlevels -programmer -fvf -debugcomplete -debug. Instructions in the readme. Thanks to Cirevam for the idea and stuff.

NOTE: If you launch RR from a shortcut with parameters, this may not work. Launch straight from the exe for best results.

DOWNLOAD (THE FIXED VERSION)

It's a good little tool that CLGen. I've been using that for mode changes for a few months now, a lot easier then having a bunch of shortcuts for different modes.

However with your file, perhaps use standard zip rather then 7z. Either my zip program doesn't support password protected 7zip's or there isn't any data in the "CLgen.dat.7z".

I had some trouble getting it to extract too, but the data is there. Maybe I'll upload a zipped version so that people who don't have 7zip and don't want to get 7zip can download this right proper.

There. I fixed it. The password was an experiment of mine to see who would actually read the readme. There's no excuse for not having 7zip. What happens if something you need is in a tarball?

I've never had to open a tarball in my life and I have WinRar, so there's my excuse for not having 7zip. If you're going to release a mod, you should make sure that it's accessible to as many people as possible. If you can zip it, then just zip it. Don't let your opinion of a certain piece of software get in the way of delivery. Then again, this manager is just a text file, so you could just post it in the first post, but that would be silly and someone would complain that they can't copy and paste it correctly.

There's no excuse for not having 7zip.

I beg to differ.

I find the normal zip program to be very easy to use and really convenient that you already have a program that can zip things.

Please put these things in .zip from know on to make it easier for people who don't follow you and your opinions to use them.

I beg to differ.

I find the normal zip program to be very easy to use and really convenient that you already have a program that can zip things.

Please put these things in .zip from know on to make it easier for people who don't follow you and your opinions to use them.

Look here kid. You don't tell me how do distribute data. .zip support comes on all windows versions. (I could care less. I mostly use ubuntu now.) Any compression/decompression program you can get probably has zip support. Right click > send to compressed folder is not a program. It's integrated into windows. Winrar and 7zip are programs. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Zip also has a lousy compression ratio. I put my 35.6MB Flock folder in a zip file and a 7z file. Guess what? The zip file is 14.1MB and the 7z file is 10.5MB. This, scaled up into bigger programs, can be a big diference. Take someone who has a terrible down speed, like 50KB/sec. I think they would rather download the 65MB 7z file instead of the 100MB zip file. 7zip itself is only a few MB, so I think thats worth it.

Before you decide to blatantly dismiss superior compression methods, I suggest you do your research and stop being so damned lazy.

On Tuesday, November 02, 2010 at 2:52 PM, TheDoctor said:
Look here kid. You don't tell me how do distribute data.

But I will, since you ignored the post and points that I made that oddly mirror what Sonic was saying. The .zip version I just uploaded is 1.54 kb opposed to your 1.73 kb. Anyone with Windows can open it without a problem. It's not biased towards some program that Ubuntusers seem to love. It's available here:

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/85

If you blow up at another member like that again then you'll be in trouble. There was no justification for that at all.

On Tuesday, November 02, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Cirevam said:
On Tuesday, November 02, 2010 at 2:52 PM, TheDoctor said:
Look here kid. You don't tell me how do distribute data.

But I will, since you ignored the post and points that I made that oddly mirror what Sonic was saying. The .zip version I just uploaded is 1.54 kb opposed to your 1.73 kb. Anyone with Windows can open it without a problem. It's not biased towards some program that Ubuntusers seem to love. It's available here:

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/85

If you blow up at another member like that again then you'll be in trouble. There was no justification for that at all.

If that's all i'll just leave it at I did fix my version earlier (before you uploaded yours).

I beg to differ.

Look here kid. You don't tell me how do distribute data. .zip support comes on all windows versions. (I could care less. I mostly use ubuntu now.) Any compression/decompression program you can get probably has zip support. Right click > send to compressed folder is not a program. It's integrated into windows. Winrar and 7zip are programs. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Zip also has a lousy compression ratio. I put my 35.6MB Flock folder in a zip file and a 7z file. Guess what? The zip file is 14.1MB and the 7z file is 10.5MB. This, scaled up into bigger programs, can be a big difference. Take someone who has a terrible down speed, like 50KB/sec. I think they would rather download the 65MB 7z file instead of the 100MB zip file. 7zip itself is only a few MB, so I think thats worth it.

Before you decide to blatantly dismiss superior compression methods, I suggest you do your research and stop being so damned lazy.

Well excuse me.

All I was saying is that I am not going to get a program that I will rarely use when I have a program (Yes it is a program.) that is just as good with a larger amount of people able to use it.

And can you please consider someone else before you do something and expect people to praise you without criticism.

Not everyone has 7Zip or any of the other programs (Skype, Firefox, etc) you try to force on other members here so please calm down when you are posting your opinion on something or someone (Most likely me) is going to think you a calling said programs better then the ones other people use.

I am far above begging you to do something but can you at the very least think about other peoples opinions.

Woah, no need for the arguing. Moral of the story is: When distributing digital content, use a popular format that most people will be able to open on different operating systems.

Thanks Cirevam for the zip version.

I'll use this set as it's larger than mine, thanks Doc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.