(WIP) Community Overhaul Attempt #2

theextractor

Phase 1: Theme

I believe that for a community overhaul to work we have to expect slow, but hopefully steady progress, therefore we will break it up into phases.

Phase 1 should be theme because without a solid theme for the project we have no clear direction for modding.

Having said that, please post any ideas you have pertaining to a Rock Raiders overhaul theme! After we have 4 or 5 solid ideas we will vote on them.

Here's one of my ideas to start it off, and to offer a formatting suggestion.

Please offer feedback and suggestions for this idea or post your own!

Note: This overhaul project won't have a name until well into the process, or maybe even not until it's finished. :sparks:

:right: Things that should probably be in the Overhaul:

The Rock Raiders team in the game as units

"Bosses"

Multiple Biomes

High-res Textures

:right: Classic RPG Theme:

Story: Could be anything set in a medieval fantasy world. Knights conquering and mining the land. Knights battling the forces of evil (like in Dragon Age or Oblivion).

Biomes: Potentially similar to Rock Raiders (Grass, Ice, Lava). Or each biome could be an increasingly destroyed version of the previous biome, like the forces of evil are taking over. Or each biome could be a further decent into the forces of evil's lair.

Appearance: RRs would look like knights. Monsters would be goblins or trolls. Making ore and energy crystal meters be health and manna would be funny.

Mods: Seeing as how I don't know what our community is capable of, i'm going to leave this open for suggestions.

:right: Candy Raiders:

:right: LRR2 (Sequel):

Story: The Rock Raiders return to Planet U

Biomes: Same as RR? LMS Explorer?

Appearance: Same?

Mods: Could be anything.

:right:RR vs Insectoids:

Story: The Rock Raiders are yet again forced to land on an unknown planet because of power shortages. This planet however, is controlled by insectoid-like aliens. Rather than mining for energy crystals, the raiders must steal them from the insectoids.

Biomes: Alien space stations, Alien planet surface

Appearance: monsters and slugs would be aliens. buildings and raiders could be redesigned.

Mods: enemy buildings (fake buildings). enemy rock raiders? different monster classes?

:right: Lawn Raiders:

Story: The raiders are shrunk and trapped in someone's back yard. They have to cut their way out of the jungle and reach the enlarging machine on the other end of the yard.

Biomes: Grass, Dirt, Rock, etc.

Appearance: everything has a natural look. Buildings could have an organic theme and grow out of the ground instead of teleporting. Energy Crystals and ore could be Seeds/Nectar/Pebbles. How could we get the 'shrunken' feel across?

Mods: New building animations, Monsters would be Insects, etc.

:right:LRR Remake:

Story: Same as RR but more thoroughly developed.

Biomes: Same but better?

Appearance: Updated look.

Mods: Include the Rock Raiders team as teleportable units.

:right: LRR0 (Prequel):

Story: Whatever the Rock Raiders were doing before the events of the original game. Could start with the Rock Raider's first mission.

Biomes: depends on what planets they go to.

Appearance: depends on what planets they go to.

Mods: could be anything.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lair

• Sonic322

• Addictgamer

• theextractor

I VOTE CANDY RAIDERS! :af:

Yeah, breaking an community overhaul into parts is a must. If not, then we say COMMUNITY OVERHAUL! EVERYBODY GO MAKE SOMETHING! and everybodys like OMG OVERHA-hey look flash games.

We already have most of the ideas planned out for textures, which is a big part of it. All that takes is a bit of refining and finalizing and then we move on to vehicles and/or buildings.

Story: Could be anything set in a medieval fantasy world.

Stopped reading right here. There are too many games like this. We should do something with at least some originality. I don't see Candy Raiders as anything more than a graphical overhaul, but at least it's different. Maybe the raiders could be little gingerbread men and the Rock Monsters would be ninjabread men, and the lava levels would take place inside of an oven.

As for vehicles... well, the wheels could be cookies or donuts and ore could be chocolate chips. Alternatively, they could just be toys with wind-up keys since they're already the right size. There's no limit to what we can do with the graphics.

Story: Could be anything set in a medieval fantasy world.

Stopped reading right here. There are too many games like this. We should do something with at least some originality. I don't see Candy Raiders as anything more than a graphical overhaul, but at least it's different. Maybe the raiders could be little gingerbread men and the Rock Monsters would be ninjabread men, and the lava levels would take place inside of an oven.

As for vehicles... well, the wheels could be cookies or donuts and ore could be chocolate chips. Alternatively, they could just be toys with wind-up keys since they're already the right size. There's no limit to what we can do with the graphics.

WELL Cirevam, unless you want to take another crack at having the community make R3, then what else is there to do? What was Baz's mod? Just more levels? (I never played it) That could be called a level pack or something.

From what I know, R3 is a complete re-jiggering of everything in the game. Unless we break up EXACTLY what needs to be done and how, then nothing will come together. People also need to do things that they are able to. Joe obviously isn't going to be making vehicle and animating them. I could probably learn animation pretty fast if you taught me, but at this current state i'm still in the model creating department. Maybe people with imaginations could sketch out something and/or make it in a MLCad type program, and we model it for them. It could work, but it would have to run like clockwork.

TheEPICtrainrider

I vote we Keep the "Theme" of Lego Miners, and simply change the Plot and Setting.

How about this, we make what we have always wanted. A sequel to Rock Raiders. The Rock Raiders return to Planet U because of a power malfunction, and need a place to make lengthily repairs on the ships Electrical System. They return to some bases that were left behind the last time they were there, and must begin mining to keep the ship sustained. Stuff Happens (Rock Monsters aboard the LMS???) (Fire Slugs????) and they are delayed. They finally repair the Electrical System, and need a final jump-start to get it moving again. So they have to defeat the boss and get his magical lucky charms.

Economy: We reverse the system. Now Ore is the Valuable one. And it's not ordinary Ore. It's Atomic Ore. Where we have the stereotypical 50's ore with glowing parts and it's ultra Valuable and the Refined ore is a blinding White. And stuff. Cyristals are still Valuable, but... yea not as much.

I vote we Keep the "Theme" of Lego Miners, and simply change the Plot and Setting.

How about this, we make what we have always wanted. A sequel to Rock Raiders. The Rock Raiders return to Planet U because of a power malfunction, and need a place to make lengthily repairs on the ships Electrical System. They return to some bases that were left behind the last time they were there, and must begin mining to keep the ship sustained. Stuff Happens (Rock Monsters aboard the LMS???) (Fire Slugs????) and they are delayed. They finally repair the Electrical System, and need a final jump-start to get it moving again. So they have to defeat the boss and get his magical lucky charms.

Economy: We reverse the system. Now Ore is the Valuable one. And it's not ordinary Ore. It's Atomic Ore. Where we have the stereotypical 50's ore with glowing parts and it's ultra Valuable and the Refined ore is a blinding White. And stuff. Cyristals are still Valuable, but... yea not as much.

Somewhere along the line you gave me the idea for a biome onboard the LMS Explorer.

Somewhere along the line you gave me the idea for a biome onboard the LMS Explorer.

U know what?

RtPU suddenly seems insignificant.

A BASE ON THE SURFACE WITH A MISSION OF KILLING INVADING Rock monsters Insectoids.

I always thought that RtPU was supposed to be a sort of sequel to the original game, hence the returning part. I can imagine an LMS biome though it would be a bit odd in terms of geometry. Doors would be represented by drillable rock and the rockfall animation would be replaced by a "door opening" animation. We would have to get rid of rubble in those missions though.

Stopped reading right here.

haha yeah i know! SUPER generic! but that was kind of the point, it was more of an example of what we could do.

i thought the exact same thing! it would be awesome, but probably hard to do. Also, i believe we are still limited to 3 biomes? so in that case there would probably end up being too many levels on the LMS. still a possibility though.

A BASE ON THE SURFACE WITH A MISSION OF KILLING INVADING Insectoids.

is that an overhaul idea?

as far as doing a sequel goes, would it really be that much of an overhaul? i think it'd be cool to see something completely different.

Great ideas so far though!

1) Also, i believe we are still limited to 3 biomes? so in that case there would probably end up being too many levels on the LMS. still a possibility though.

A BASE ON THE SURFACE WITH A MISSION OF KILLING INVADING Insectoids.

2) is that an overhaul idea? as far as doing a sequel goes, would it really be that much of an overhaul? i think it'd be cool to see something completely different.

1) ...Where the HECK have you been? We are hardley limited in anything anymore, Not even levels. LRR has now become an open book to us! New buildings, Vehicles, Rock Raiders, Monsters, Levels, Biomes... Even new TEXTURED MODELS! :af:

2) More of a single level.

In fact, Idea for RtPU. Fighting Power Miners and Insectoids.

We could have the Rock Raiders get back to there home planet (which I think is earth) and then have to battle the Power Miners for superiority.

I would love to see the Rock Raiders blasting Power Miners.

If someone was willing to make a flash game like this but one of those tower defense games then that would be awesome (That would actually be the first real tribute to Rock Raiders that we could get posted all over the internet considering how many flash game site there are.)

I say just keep it relatively simple.

I'd be willing to make a few levels that appear near the end of the game (VERY HARD ONES).

I have some levels. That will make you cry.

I say just keep it relatively simple.

I'd be willing to make a few levels that appear near the end of the game (VERY HARD ONES).

I have some levels. That will make you cry.

They are just that hard are they.

I would love to play a level like that.

But I don't think I would cry

Where the HECK have you been?

Apparently i missed that! well in that case, SWEEEEEEEEET!!!

Fighting Power Miners

What if a group of Rock Raiders broke off and called themselves Power Miners? It might be cool to have to fight another team of Rock Raiders. Would that even be possible?

I'd be willing to make a few levels

Well, thanks for the offer but... NO LEVELS YET! One thing at a time please! haha

We could have the Rock Raiders get back to their home planet

Hey are we able to completely remove the cave roof? If we can, planet surface levels would be WAY better.

Keep thinking of theme ideas everybody! Hopefully we'll end up with something pretty epic! :chief:

Hey are we able to completely remove the cave roof? If we can, planet surface levels would be WAY better.

Lair has already made a few surface levels and they look great.

Here is my sequel idea.

RR vs Insectoids:

Story: The Rock Raiders are yet again forced to land on an unknown planet because of power shortages. This planet however, is controlled by insectoid-like aliens. Rather than mining for energy crystals, the raiders must steal them from the insectoids.

Biomes: Alien space stations, Alien planet surface

Appearance: monsters and slugs would be aliens. buildings and raiders could be redesigned.

Mods: would it be possible to make enemy rock raiders? in this case they would be redesigned to be aliens, but shooting enemies would be a real threat. Also, can we make buildings that are non-functional just to be used as enemy buildings, or to just placed around the planet?

ah, very clever!

btw, "mining" would still be an essential part of the game, what i meant was, instead of drilling it would be more like destroying space station walls in an attempt to find crystals.

another question: can we make different monster classes? like have one be really fast, and another one be able to take a lot of damage etc.

yeah so i'm really liking this idea! give me feedback please!

BTW, you don't have to mine for the crystals.

You can place them on tiles using NPLs or OLs. Just place them in guarded locations!

Just letting you know that is possible

Monster classes is the wrong word.

The right word is, "Monsters".

Yes, we can create many monsters with different stats.

Just look at RTPU for an example.

Guarded locations for sure! Yep i knew that was possible, and very cool.

I haven't really been keeping up with RTPU's progress, but that is good to know.

I'm trying to get an understanding of what we know is possible to do, and building off of that, rather than dreaming of impossible things for this overhaul.

Just create a monster, make sure it can't do anything, and make the model.

Could you also create another building entry, disable the ability to build it, then figure out how to disable clicking it? Of course, if you used NERPS to prevent the player from teleporting the enemy base you could make the enemy's buildings be the original ones and the player buildings be new entries, so the NERPS functions to disable clicking buildings will work. That might be too complicated...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just reminding everyone to keep thinking of great overhaul themes! Just let this question sit in the back of your mind all day "What would be the most epic Rock Raider theme ever?"

Even if you think it's stupid, post it anyway! Maybe it'll grow into something awesome!

Basically i just want a lot of ideas, lots and lots. Then we'll discuss them a little, and eventually vote on one.

The dwarven Lawn Mowers

The raiders are shrunk and trapped in some one's back yard.

They have to cut their way out of the jungle and reach the enlarging machine on the other end of the yard.

Monsters: Insects and such.

• Cyrem changed the title to (WIP) Community Overhaul Attempt #2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.