Tutorial: Run Rock Raiders at 1024X768 Resolution.

Cyrem

Note: This is just proof that it can be done. However due to the game's hard coding, it is not fully usable using resolutions higher than 640x480.

Ever since showing a picture of this on the old forum quite some time ago a lot of users have wanted to know how I did it. Well now I will explain. It is not very complicated and only requires a few small changes in the LEGO.cfg file.

Firstly, create a shortcut to LegoRR.exe. Then go to the shortcut's properties and add "-debug " (without quotes) to the end of the "Target" field. You can make sure you've done this right by double clicking the shortcut and in the next window it should show "640x480, 800x600, 1024x768" in a list.

Second, open LEGO.cfg and make the following changes in the file.

Find:

[table]

Lego* > Main

NextButton640x480 InterfaceMessagePanelOKButton.bmp

NextButtonPos640x480 380,447

BackButton640x480 InterfaceMessagePanelrepeat.bmp

BackButtonPos640x480 380,462

BackArrow InterfaceMessagePanelBackButton.bmp

[/table]

Replace With:

[table]

Lego* > Main

NextButton1024x768 InterfaceMessagePanelOKButton.bmp

NextButtonPos1024x768 380,447

BackButton1024x768 InterfaceMessagePanelrepeat.bmp

BackButtonPos1024x768 380,462

BackArrow InterfaceMessagePanelBackButton.bmp

[/table]

You will also need to rename some property blocks, see below:

[table]

Find Block:

Rename To:

Panels640x480 Panels1024x768

Buttons640x480 Buttons1024x768

AdvisorPositions640x480 AdvisorPositions1024x768

[/table]

Lastly, save the file then run the shortcut and choose 1024x768 from the list. If you did it right the window will now be at 1024x768. This can also be done with 800x600.

Thanks for reading.

• 5 months later...

This screws up the screen for me. The menus refuse to move with the window. They still stay at 640x480 while everything else expands.

Yes those menus have to be manually re-located. However it's pointless since the message bar cannot be moved so you'll always have it sit in the middle of the screen.

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment...... No matter... Hopefully, modding will improve in the future and we'll be able to fix that..... I'm still impressed you have made good progress within the two years of this site's founding.

• 8 months later...

If I understand you the right way, there is no way to move the interface from the center of the screen to the right because of the warning and other 2 buttons at the top of the screen. But has anyone tried yet to Stretch the interface?

Because many older games strech their interface when you edit them to wide screen, or bigger resolutions.

If I understand you the right way, there is no way to move the interface from the center of the screen to the right because of the warning and other 2 buttons at the top of the screen. But has anyone tried yet to Stretch the interface?

Because many older games strech their interface when you edit them to wide screen, or bigger resolutions.

That might work, but I was thinking just removing those features. The only things that stick are apparently the oxygen bar and the message panel.

@Lair

Then edit the .BMP's

I'm editting the game by hand replacing the stuff to the sides of the screen.

I changed the buttons in the top right corner to be aligned with my right corner of the screen. and the crystalbar is aligned to the right side of the screen now.

The counters still work that are attached to it. Only problem is that the pictures of the Crystals and the Ore bar are still in the middle of the screen xD. I'm trying to deal with that now.

A question relevant to this topic:

Did anyone managed to get this game running on a resolution Above 1024x768. because It's still a pretty old resolution and most screens are becoming to get at Full HD. With as most lowest standard 1024x768.

@Lair

Then edit the .BMP's

Right, I'll delete the BMP files so that we'll be clicking on invisible icons.

Really now, that doesn't make sense.

No, I meant edit the .BMP's with a program like paint or Photoshop. To make them taller.

Adding pieces into the Crystalsidebar makes it taller so it looks like it fills the whole side of the screen.

Everything can be moved to suit 1024x768 except 1 thing, the oxygen bar. It's position seems hard-coded and the BMP doesn't have transparency, so using a higher BMP doesn't work.

No, I meant edit the .BMP's with a program like paint or Photoshop. To make them taller.

Adding pieces into the Crystalsidebar makes it taller so it looks like it fills the whole side of the screen.

Not the crystal sidebar, the icon menu sidebar.

Everything can be moved to suit 1024x768 except 1 thing, the oxygen bar. Its position seems hard-coded and the BMP doesn't have transparency, so using a higher BMP doesn't work.

Like I said above, the icons on the menu sidebar are also locked unless I don't know something, in that case PLEASE share it with me so I can know.

And, erm... the oxygen bar does have transparency. At least the message tab does. Do you mean the fluid in it? I haven't tested that.

I guess you could just round off the bottom and make up some excuse about the builder of the interface was dumb and stuck the pannel out there so it...I don't know

i just have moved some things to the side of the screen.

The crystalsidebar

the icon panel with the warning, prioritys and options

the camera control button (although the buttons to zoom are moved with it the camera turning controls aren't so i have to search for that.

i also managed to get the encyclopedia.bmp out of the screen and move the priorities panel out of screen but editted it so, that if the priorities button is hit. the panel appears just in the right upper corner of the screen. and not somewhere in the middle.

I think that if I can do that with the priorities panel. the menu sidebar must work the same.

No I still have to look how to move the counting bar of the crystals and the ore's itself.

The counter did moved with the crystal sidebar. so that takes half the work away for that bar.

The only thing i moved so far are the images, not jet whats inside that.

Anyway, no one reacted on my question:

A question relevant to this topic:

Did anyone managed to get this game running on a resolution Above 1024x768. because It's still a pretty old resolution and most screens are becoming to get at Full HD. With as most lowest standard 1024x768.

• 1 year later...

Even though this question is old, it is still worth answering for anyone else wondering.

No, the debug dialog only supports up to 1024x768. I believe the engine can go higher, But I don't know any hacks to get it to do this. Not that it would be a benefit, because the toolbar still has a hard coded position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.