File Formats In Lrr

Sonic322

These are the file formats in the installed game.

• .ae
  • .exe
  • .dll
  • .bin
  • .bmp
  • .blk
  • .blx
  • .ini
  • .dat
  • .epb
  • .flc
  • .flh
  • .h
  • .icd
  • .ifo
  • .isu
  • .lev
  • .lwo
  • .lws
  • .map
  • .cfg
  • .npl
  • .nrm
  • .nrn
  • .ol
  • .old
  • .osf
  • .ptl
  • .sav
  • .txt
  • .uv
  • .avi
  • .wad
  • .wav
  • .x

These are the file formats on the CD.

• .cab
  • .acv
  • .exe
  • .dll
  • .bin
  • .cnt
  • .ini
  • .cpl
  • .csp
  • .dat
  • .ddb
  • .drv
  • .dls
  • .dx_
  • .hdr
  • .hlp
  • .icd
  • .ico
  • .key
  • .lid
  • .mpd
  • .nec
  • .new
  • .sbk
  • .inf
  • .sys
  • .tag
  • .txt
  • .tmp
  • .uc
  • .avi
  • .vxd
  • .wav
  • .x86

Oddities in the game.

• There is a file in location "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders\Data\Levels\GameLevels\Level09" that is called "dugg_09.blx". There is also a file called "dugg_09" that has no file extension. It is just listed as a file.
  • There is a file in location "C:\Program Files\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders\Data\MiscAnims\ROCKSFALLING" that is called "b4.x". There is also a file called "b4.x.old" which is the only file in the game with the ".old" file extension.

The only remaining kind of file.

• File Folder

These are the ones I know:

• .AE - building activity file (a config file that determines certain animations of buildings?)
  • .AVI - AVI movie/video file
  • .BIN - Binary data file
  • .BLK - Binary configuration file?
  • .BLX - ?
  • .BMP - BitMap image file
  • .CFG - config file
  • .DAT - Binary data file
  • .DLL - Dynamic Linked Library: a library of compiled C++ functions, that can be used by multiple applications
  • .EPB - Rock Raider encyclopedia text file (plain text)
  • .EXE - Windows executable file
  • .FLC - some kind of binary file?
  • .FLH - UNDF movie file (apparently some kind of old codec)
  • .H - C++ header file
  • .ICD - SecuROM encrypted executable file
  • .IFO - Strings for the information dialogs (plain text)
  • .INI - Windows settings file
  • .ISU - InstallShield uninstall file
  • .LEV - Map location definition file: defines the location of the map source files
  • .LWO - LightWave 3D model file
  • .LWS - LigtWave scene file
  • .MAP - Binary rock raiders map file
  • .NPL - ? (Binary file)
  • .NRM - NERPs Source File (game objective scrips?)
  • .NRN - Looks like some kind of C++ file for game objectives
  • .OL - Object definition file. Determines what object/creature should be placed where on the map
  • .OLD - old version of another file
  • .OSF - 'RROS' as header, for the rest a few binary characters ?
  • .PTL - Action definition file. Determines what should be done after events like rock falls down (perhaps a part of the AI system?)
  • .SAV - Rock Raiders save game file
  • .TXT - plain text file
  • .UV - UV map location definition file?
  • .WAD - Rock Raiders data file
  • .WAV - Wave sound file
  • .X - DirectX model file format

I haven't looked into the other ones, since they could be quite common file types, yet with a renamed extension (which is quite common with game files)

Wherever you find a question mark is where I am not sure about the file.

And the one you forgot:

.delme ;)

.AE

.AVI

.BIN

.BLK

.BLX

.BMP

.CFG

.DAT Actually BMP in the save files. Can be modded, but there might be more files with this extension that aren't BMP.

.DLL See .EXE

.EPB

.EXE Modding not supported. Theoretically possible, but nothing major has been done with this yet.

.FLC

.FLH

.H (this is a C header; Never actually used by the game itself, just by modding tools)

.ICD

.IFO

.INI

.ISU

.LEV

.LWO

.LWS

.MAP

.NPL

.NRM

.NRN

.OL

.OLD old? Probably old versions of other files, is there another extension on these?

.OSF

.PTL

.SAV

.TXT

.UV

.WAD

.WAV

.X

Here's a list with what we know it is and can mod. Might've missed something, tell me if I have ;)

can you put a key in there to make the colors easier to understand or use lines (~, -, =, *, etc) to make it easyer to see.

EDIT: yes the files that Have .old are mostly in the pilot folder but the strange thing is it is also in the miscanims folder, but that was never edited so it can stay on the list.

EDIT 2: I will update the list with the new info so if you all could edit your posts then that would be great

•.NPL - ? (Binary file)

*facepalm*

NPL = Objective files.

•.NRM - NERPs Source File (game objective scrips?)

No

It goes like this:

.NRN: Objective script source code.

.NRM: Objective script source run through a C preprocessor, intermediary file.

.NPL: Objective script bytecode binary, used in the game.

So, .NRN run through cpp gives .NRM, which when run though my compiler gives .NPL that can be used in the game.

Anonymouse

anyone have any idea what some of the other files mean?

If we did, we would've posted.

A pointless post, that was.

If we did, we would've posted.

not really, people post in a lot of topics but when they have to look for something then a lot of them don't bother.

Anonymouse

Topics only appear as unread if something new's going on in them. Most members who give a flying mole crap (don't ask....) about modding will have seen this, so that bump was unnecessary.

[/OFF-TOPIC]

anyone have any idea what some of the other files mean?

when they have to look for something then a lot of them don't bother.

If you think people would have to google to find out what these file types are, then why would you think people would have an idea on what they mean in the first place? Your bump was unnecessary.

[/offtopic]

[ontopic]

.blx is apparently used for gps map data transfer... however, what it's used for ingame may or may not be for the same purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

updated

.DELME is not a file type

I re-installed my game and found the delme.dat file but then I re-installed my game again and it was gone

What the heck is this file anyways?

anuf

PLEASE learn to spell.

Delme.dat is a useless, empty file, which serves absolutely no purpose.

IDK. Maybe it gets deleted by some copies of the installers? I definitely saw it getting copied in my installation.

Please tell me if I missed any of them and please provide better definitions and there un-abbreviated forms.

We also need a better way to list the files that can and can't be modded.

1. .AE - Object Activities Definitions File (Defines what animations happen when a certain activity is performed, and defines Camera View Stuff)
  2. .EXE - (NOTE: Illegal To Modify)
  3. .FLC - FLIC Movie File, in a similar format to .FLH, but uses a different header
  4. .FLH - FLIC Movie File, Uses Old System Which Is No Longer Supported By Any Movie Player
  5. .PTL - *AI Behaviour FIle. Is a level Specific File which is used to define how Rock Raiders and/or other AI behave when a specific event occurs

Those are now documented properly.

Also, on the subject of .delme, .delme is possibly a dev file used to test Read/Write Operations in the games Source Code. That is my belief, and I'm sticking to it.

No I am sure it Illegal everwhere. If not by country law, then by the programs EULA or similar. Either way, it's a bad sin to commit.

.OSF is one of the save file types. Maybe put .OSF, .SAV and .DAT together.

.SAV contains info about which levels have been completed and how well. Not moddable YET :lol:

.OSF contains info about RRs - hich are upgraded, how much, and what they're trained as.

.DAT is simply a BMP screenshot which you see on the load saved game screen.

Note, I may have mixed .SAV and .OSF up. THe bigger file is definitely the one with the level info.

We have checked several weeks ago when we were researching how to modify save game data. Those formats are correct.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.